By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever quit a game due to difficulty?

Just today I decided to not play The Binding of Isaac anymore.

I played this game for years. I unlocked everything in Afterbirth+ which isn't an easy feat. You have characters like The Lost with no health and instant death. I got through everything and beat Delirium with every character and what not.

Then came the Repentance DLC along. I got that maybe 4 weeks ago and was thrilled for all the new stuff. But the alternate path is just too much. I died 30 times in a row. Got to the final boss, mother, a few times but couldn't beat it. You get hit so often with no possible way to dodge. You get hit by stuff you can't see. You get way less health than in AB+ and the enemy projectiles fly faster than before.
It also feels like you only get shitty items now. Not even one time did I get the Guppy tranformation. Not one single time did I get brimstone. Nothing. Oh, and brimstone was nerfed because the devs hate the players or something.

I can't beat this crap even with Isaac so far. It will only get harder from here. Trying to beat the game with The Lost or The Keeper would be a major pain in the ass. It is possible, I know that. But you basically just wait for an OP run and die countless times in between. That's not my understanding of fun. So I won't touch the game again, it's pretty much dead to me. Which is a shame, because otherwise the DLC is sweet. The new graphics are great, the soundtrack is great, I can't complain. But all that is useless when the game itself isn't fun anymore. And it's not like Isaac was exactly an easy game before. The devs overshot the difficulty big time.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Rush 'N Attack, Contra, lots of NES games actually. These days with time to play at a premium I own more games that I've never played than games I have beaten.

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

I came to this thread thinking there were some I gave up on due to difficulty, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that it hadn't happened to me, at least not with any examples I can think of. There have been plenty of times when I felt the game was cheap or poorly made, making it too frustrating to continue, but never 'I can't do this'. 

there have been games I avoided or didn't start because of their difficulty (Dark Souls and Cuphead were two examples, both of which I fell in love with once I 'got' them), and there have been games I've opted not to go for 100% because the requirements were absurd, but I can't think of any games I gave up on and didn't finish because they were hard. 

I fell in love with Dark Souls as well after getting the hang of it. But the difficulty (more so the obtuseness) of the series had me 'quit' after Dark Souls 2. It just seems more of the same yet bigger and bigger time sinks. But I did buy the Demon's Souls remake, will see how it goes when I get to it. Bloodborne still remains untouched. (Bought it, never started it)

The problem with difficult games is, they're hard to get back into after taking a break. Cuphead is great but I guess it can go on the pile of games I didn't finish. I took a break (playing something else in between) and coming back a month later of course died over and over, so I played something more relaxing instead. Since then it has been on the 'waiting' pile. 

It comes down to, do I want to spend the time to 'git gud' again, or just play something more relaxing. Time is the most precious thing in the end. Best waste it on something fun! (Beating a difficult section can be fun, but often also feels like a waste of time to me as in glad that's behind)

Dude, you GOTTA play Bloodborne! IT's genuinely one of the best games ever.

Don't let Dark Souls II's cheap bullshit turn you off Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. I'm currently in a gauntlet with two of my buddies, we did Bloodborne together and LOVED it. we did Dark Souls III together and LOVED it. we played Dark Souls Remastered together and liked it a lot. Then we got to dark Souls II and...we all hate it. I knew I hated it prior to this but deliberately avoided ranting about it just in case they liked it. It's a divisive game, and while I hate it there are others who love it so I was actively avoiding tainting their opinion of it prior to starting. 

Within an hour, both of them were already like 'this isn't hard, this is cheap. Every design decision in this game seems to be there to frustrate and annoy, not be an obstacle to overcome' and as we've played that opinion has only gotten stronger. We're only playing it out of spite, now. we're not playing the game to experience it, to get a sense of accomplishment, we're playing it to destroy it, as if to say 'fuck you, you won't defeat us'. At this point we're playing to conquer it, hating it every step of the way, mockingly going 'hnuuutrrrr! Look at me, I'm Dark souls 2!  look at those hit boxes! Look at how many stupid fucking enemies I can aggro all at once! Look at how fuckign dumb it is that we have to constantly balance each other out just so that we remain at a similar soul memory level!"

The whole game is cheap bullshit with the worst bosses and gameplay mechanics. don't let Dark Souls II ruin III and Bloodborne for you. They're both like the original but more refined and with slightly different tweaks. it always disheartens me to hear of people who gave up on the series because of how bullshit 2 was. 

2 is the game that I died in the least, I found it by far the easiest of the series....but I got more frustrated with it because the deaths almost never seemed fair. I got more frustrated with it because I died due to poor design or cheapness, not 'I didn't learn from my mistakes' like in other games. 

Here is one of my deaths from last night's session: 

Meanwhile, here's my first ever attempt at Gael: 

That Gael fight is WAY harder than anything in Dark Souls II, but it was fair and with good reactions and planning, I beat him. There's a world of difference between these two experiences. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The_Yoda said:

Rush 'N Attack, Contra, lots of NES games actually. These days with time to play at a premium I own more games that I've never played than games I have beaten.

Now you mention NES, I'm sure I've quit a few when I was a kid, just can't remember them, memories about NES are fog to say the least and the system was already dead for a couple of years when I was still a toddler. Need to check an SNES list though, these I can remember

Yes, loads of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden the NES version Trilogy and Castlevania 3.

That doppelgänger battle...

Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Enjoyed the game, story, characters, set-pieces... Got right near the end where the difficulty jumped 100x... And I couldn't be bothered to spend the time grinding just to finish the game so I gave up and started playing something else.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not as an adult, no. But I have put many on "pause". Sometimes that pause can take years to un-pause. But it always gets un-paused eventually and beaten.

Lost Levels.

What the fuck was Nintendo thinking designing that hot bullshit?!

The original Kaizo Mario!

First game that comes to mind is the original Rayman, found it super frustrating when I was young, and I'm not interested in going back to it anytime soon.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."