By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever quit a game due to difficulty?

Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Enjoyed the game, story, characters, set-pieces... Got right near the end where the difficulty jumped 100x... And I couldn't be bothered to spend the time grinding just to finish the game so I gave up and started playing something else.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Not as an adult, no. But I have put many on "pause". Sometimes that pause can take years to un-pause. But it always gets un-paused eventually and beaten.

Lost Levels.

What the fuck was Nintendo thinking designing that hot bullshit?!

The original Kaizo Mario!

First game that comes to mind is the original Rayman, found it super frustrating when I was young, and I'm not interested in going back to it anytime soon.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Yes. I still get flashbacks at how hard Ninja Gaiden was.

Around the Network

Yes. It was Elite Dangerous. A spaceship simulator game with trading and fighting and such. I was having a hard time even getting out of the starting base in one piece and docking back in to other bases seemed nigh impossible. I don't know whether you could buy an automated docking system later on in the game, but this was just ridiculously complicated. So realistic that it sucked the fun out of the game for me. Didn't bother to git gud.

I quit more games than I start. Especially during the previous five or so years. The 8th Gen hasn't done me much good in this regard, though it started towards the end of the 7th really. However it's not all due to difficulty, but more due to me just losing interest fairly quickly these days. Even games that are among my all-time favourites suffer from this, like I still haven't completed the MediEvil remake even though I think it's one of the greatest, if not the greatest PlayStation games ever made. A heightened difficulty, in general, not in MediEvil's case, could contribute to that, if the rest of the game isn't stellar. I'll quickly think, "Why bother". I could finish a lot more and a lot more difficult games if I really wanted to, but herein lies the problem these days.

yes...
Nes Ninja gaiden.
Snes ghouls and goblins
and perhaps 2-3 other old school games...

The so called "hard games" that we have today? never, but i'm not actively looking for hard games, i mean Dark Souls, Sekiro, Niho.... they are not hard, they are just not "easy mode" like most games.

GoTY 2022:

red alert, The infiltration missions without base building were doing my head in back in the day

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dante9 said:

Yes. It was Elite Dangerous. A spaceship simulator game with trading and fighting and such. I was having a hard time even getting out of the starting base in one piece and docking back in to other bases seemed nigh impossible. I don't know whether you could buy an automated docking system later on in the game, but this was just ridiculously complicated. So realistic that it sucked the fun out of the game for me. Didn't bother to git gud.

I'm playing ED right now, I played with it first came out on PS4 but then stopped because of other games and didn't get back into it. Recently picked it up again as Horizon's was free to all users now. They made a lot of improvements on it, proper training missions and an 'Advanced Docking Computer', added April 2019, which I didn't know about until recently when playing again. Makes like a hell of a lot easier if you don't like the landing part of it.

Hmm, pie.