By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever quit a game due to difficulty?

Many times. Many older RPG games where I didn't want to grind to progress, Souls-genre games (including Nioh, etc.).

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Dude, you GOTTA play Bloodborne! IT's genuinely one of the best games ever.

Don't let Dark Souls II's cheap bullshit turn you off Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. I'm currently in a gauntlet with two of my buddies, we did Bloodborne together and LOVED it. we did Dark Souls III together and LOVED it. we played Dark Souls Remastered together and liked it a lot. Then we got to dark Souls II and...we all hate it. I knew I hated it prior to this but deliberately avoided ranting about it just in case they liked it. It's a divisive game, and while I hate it there are others who love it so I was actively avoiding tainting their opinion of it prior to starting. 

Within an hour, both of them were already like 'this isn't hard, this is cheap. Every design decision in this game seems to be there to frustrate and annoy, not be an obstacle to overcome' and as we've played that opinion has only gotten stronger. We're only playing it out of spite, now. we're not playing the game to experience it, to get a sense of accomplishment, we're playing it to destroy it, as if to say 'fuck you, you won't defeat us'. At this point we're playing to conquer it, hating it every step of the way, mockingly going 'hnuuutrrrr! Look at me, I'm Dark souls 2!  look at those hit boxes! Look at how many stupid fucking enemies I can aggro all at once! Look at how fuckign dumb it is that we have to constantly balance each other out just so that we remain at a similar soul memory level!"

The whole game is cheap bullshit with the worst bosses and gameplay mechanics. don't let Dark Souls II ruin III and Bloodborne for you. They're both like the original but more refined and with slightly different tweaks. it always disheartens me to hear of people who gave up on the series because of how bullshit 2 was. 

2 is the game that I died in the least, I found it by far the easiest of the series....but I got more frustrated with it because the deaths almost never seemed fair. I got more frustrated with it because I died due to poor design or cheapness, not 'I didn't learn from my mistakes' like in other games. 

Here is one of my deaths from last night's session: 

Meanwhile, here's my first ever attempt at Gael: 

That Gael fight is WAY harder than anything in Dark Souls II, but it was fair and with good reactions and planning, I beat him. There's a world of difference between these two experiences. 

Ahh, I resorted to over leveling in DS2 to get past the cheap parts, yet that rendered the rest of the game too easy. Hence falling out of love with the series. Cheap and unbalanced is what DS2 left me with, with a less interesting level design compared to dark souls.

I'm set on playing the original on PS5, if that gets me to love the series again, Bloodborne will be played!

Atm I'm still plodding through Ghost of Tsushima, very pretty and nice combat mechanics but it's worse than a AC game in repetitive things to do. I ran away from Tiki island, don't think I'll return to complete that part. Just focusing on completing the main game now. It never ends! Just too damn much, ruining the game tbh. (That and unskippable repetitive cutscenes, forced slow walking parts etc)

SvennoJ said:

Ahh, I resorted to over leveling in DS2 to get past the cheap parts, yet that rendered the rest of the game too easy. Hence falling out of love with the series. Cheap and unbalanced is what DS2 left me with, with a less interesting level design compared to dark souls.

I'm set on playing the original on PS5, if that gets me to love the series again, Bloodborne will be played!

Atm I'm still plodding through Ghost of Tsushima, very pretty and nice combat mechanics but it's worse than a AC game in repetitive things to do. I ran away from Tiki island, don't think I'll return to complete that part. Just focusing on completing the main game now. It never ends! Just too damn much, ruining the game tbh. (That and unskippable repetitive cutscenes, forced slow walking parts etc)

Oh, not for nothing, but there are rumours of a PS5 remake/upgrade for Bloodborne in the works by the same team that did the Demon's Souls remake. So there's that. However, uh, I wouldn't hinge your future love for the series on Demon's Souls. it is a very good game and I LOVED it, but many of its design decicions were...well, it's the originator of the souls series and it feels like it. Item Burden is a thing, and the upgrade paths get ludicrous. Magic breaks the game, though. You can cruise through 90% of the game just with the royalty class starter equipment and spells. 

As for Ghost, holy shit I knoooowww. I loved that game, every minute of it, but I'm not even done the 2nd island/area yet and I already feel the game is about 15 hours too long. Looks pretty, plays well, I don't have any critiques of the game except the whole thing needs to be compressed to about half its size and length.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Winnie The Pooh's Home Run Derby comes to mind.

Runa216 said:

Oh, not for nothing, but there are rumours of a PS5 remake/upgrade for Bloodborne in the works by the same team that did the Demon's Souls remake. So there's that. However, uh, I wouldn't hinge your future love for the series on Demon's Souls. it is a very good game and I LOVED it, but many of its design decicions were...well, it's the originator of the souls series and it feels like it. Item Burden is a thing, and the upgrade paths get ludicrous. Magic breaks the game, though. You can cruise through 90% of the game just with the royalty class starter equipment and spells. 

As for Ghost, holy shit I knoooowww. I loved that game, every minute of it, but I'm not even done the 2nd island/area yet and I already feel the game is about 15 hours too long. Looks pretty, plays well, I don't have any critiques of the game except the whole thing needs to be compressed to about half its size and length.

The second island is basically two islands, I'm on the top half of that island now in the snow. So pretty, so very much the same. I've already unlocked every ability and did every upgrade. I don't bother looking at charms anymore, too many to make sense of. Haikus were a nice break the first couple times, now it's just click click get on with it. Same with all the other repetitive ? points. It's a shame so many of these open world games just turn into a grind, less is more! Yet take a break and you risk unlearning all the button combos, always hard to get back into a game like this.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is free on ps+ this month. I took a break from that game when the todo list became too huge. Every 2 steps, 3 more people needing something lol. And never got back to it. It was a very nice looking game as well, but another "just too damn much" problem.

Instead of difficulty settings these kind of games can use a content settings. How much fluff do you want, and balance the progress based on the amount of fluff you select. Setting like, main story only (about 12 hours), main story plus major side quests (20 hours), all quests (30 hours). Then a fluff slider, min/medium/max 'random' content and collectibles. (The ? mark areas), adding 5 - 10 - 20 hours to full completion.

My gameplay save for GoT is already close to 80 hours.... (I did fall asleep a bunch of times with the ps5 going to suspend mode an hour later lol)

Around the Network

Chrono Cross. There was a boss I was having a tough time with because apparently I was supposed to steal an item from an earlier enemy. It wasn't like I intentionally quit, I just put it down and never got around to playing again.

Cuphead. Every way its laid just made me upset and not have fun. Rly unfortunate bcuz I would have loved the game if the easy mode let me finish the game but alas

Before 2021, only temporarily. I'd come back to it within a few months.

Lately though, I'm just too busy to make the effort. I used to play everything on Hard or higher difficulty. Now I'm more inclined to just go normal or easy.

4 ≈ One

Accidental premature post deleted. 

Cobra Command on Sega CD. I made it to near the end of the final level many times, but just couldn't get through it. After a dozen or two times, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I was cursing and screaming in frustration so many times that my mom basically decided I should stop gaming. After I quit that game, I can't recall feeling anywhere near that level of frustration in the 30ish years since.

Thankfully, permadeath games are mostly gone nowadays. I can't take that atuff