By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever quit a game due to difficulty?

Yeah I simply don't have the time for games that will ask me to repeat long sections of a game or lose a significant chunk of progress if I die, that's just wasting my finite time and energy.

Around the Network

Bloodborne. I wanted to play it and have tried many times but it just seems so tedious every time I try it.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

As a kid I used to do that, Quit Mario Sunshine because I reached a point where I couldn't beat any of the levels that were needed to progress. Quit Metroid Prime after dying to Flaagra a zillion times. When I finally beat the boss I had very little health left, missed the save station that's after the boss room, at got promptly killed. I was not about to go back and do it all over again. It was many years later that I finally went back and beat both games and found neither as hard as they seemed when I was a kid.

Paatar said:

Bloodborne. I wanted to play it and have tried many times but it just seems so tedious every time I try it.

Try it Coop with friends. I had a buddy who felt the same way and couldn't even begin to play it solo. we booted it up coop with their husband and I, and we roared through the game and they love it, now! 

That's the glory about these games, there are options to make it easier if you so desire. There are options to adjust the difficulty, and you can play with friends.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Only a few, generally I'll keep bashing my head into the wall until the wall breaks.
There are many I haven't 100%'ed due to the time/difficulty required, but I figure that's a different question.
The only ones that come to mind are:
Dark Souls: spent an hour or so in the early level and did not enjoy my time. Not sure if it counts as I mainly want to beat it due to the status associated rather than a love of the gameplay. I will probably pick it back up eventually, but given how big my backlog is I couldn't justify continuing to play when I wasn't enjoying the experience.
Legend of Zelda (NES): that final damn dungeon and Ganondorf. I died many times and ragequit. Despite promising to myself to come back once I'd cooled off, I've yet to boot that thing back up and give it another go.
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Ages: Maybe I wasn't paying sufficient attention, but I got completely lost playing this and after a couple dungeons had no idea where to go. I was too stubborn to look for a walkthrough online so it sits uncompleted.

Around the Network

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Only game I ever traded in. Was just way too hard as a kid. The jumping mechanic in that game just felt so bad. If it controlled more like Mario I probably would have kept at it, but it just feels like cheap deaths over and over again due to poor design. Never even really made it that far. Just the first level was really hard.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If I'm stuck at a particular part and I can lower the difficulty and I've tried for enough time, I lower it

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Mostly in older games with limited continues. Like Final Fight for the SNES. That game is impossible.

kirby007 said:

red alert, The infiltration missions without base building were doing my head in back in the day

Yeah, I remember getting stuck on one of those too.  I beat quite a few of them, but I got stuck on one later into the game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Hades. Usually I only buy games I can complete. It's a combination of difficulty and me not being bothered to start over again due to a lapse in concentration.

These rogue or whatever they are called are not for me. And this is defo a more me thing than the game thing as I know people have beaten games like Hades and Returnal with no issues.