By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch OLED Boosts Switch Sales to Over 860,000 - Global Hardware Oct 2 to 9

DroidKnight said:
trunkswd said:

No worries. It happens.

I always misread titles as titties.

A very good misread.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Nintendo Switch outselling the PS5 and XBox Series combined by over 2 to 1. 

Imagine if the OLED was actually in stock...

Parody from last week's Global Hardware report. 

But, seriously, awesome boost.  Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered OLED to arrive from Walmart...

Great launch. Better than the Lite model did.
It does look higher than it probably is though. I expect it be lowered later by 150k or something.

Zippy6 said:
kirby007 said:

It will dip this is probably 3-4 weekly of production if not more

Yeah there will be a big dip, just not sure how big. 500k next week? Less?

With this week 2020's lead is cut from 1.54m to 1.21m, but the next few weeks in 2020 leading up to black friday the switch sold 520k, 490k, 518k, 599k, 617k, 747k.

So while the lead was cut a lot this week it might start to widen again and this progress could be all but lost by the time BF roles around.

Going to be an interesting race anyway.

November and December is where 2021 can make up ground.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I feel like Switch will make up more ground against 2020, but I still think it will fall short. I doubt it will surpass 2020 for every single week remaining in the year and even when it does surpass 2020 in a given week, I don't always see it being by huge margins like the OLED Launch Week. I could see it losing some ground perhaps later this month or early next month. That being said, I could see the gap being under a million in the end, which is very impressive.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

The Switch's sales here exceeded my expectations. I wonder if the Switch OLED will end up being more popular than the Switch Lite or if it's more front-loaded.

OLED might replace Hybrid in the future, so to me it's no doubt that it will outperform Lite long term. In the end Lite is an easy way to get multiple Switches per-household and lower manufacturing and shipping costs, but not the preferred form factor for new users. OLED on the other hand both allows Nintendo to maintain current pricing but upgrades the visuals of games played in a portable mode. It was the same with the 3DS XL, long term it pretty much replaced the standard model while the 2DS was always just a smaller potential market that allowed price sensitive users to purchase multiple devices per household.  

Last edited by noshten - on 19 October 2021

I still think Switch 2021 won't quite reach 2020, but it will be close. Nothing Switch got this year was as colossal as Animal Crossing, and last year had less supply issues, but the 2021 holiday lineup is stronger and the OLED model should help make up some of the difference.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 October 2021

Fight-the-Streets said:
Dante9 said:

Man. I wonder how many Switch owners are going to double dip. A better screen is a better screen, might be a big incentive.

I think "double-dipping" is a strategy Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are doing since a long time. Whether it be a slim model, a bigger harddrive or more power, they know that early adopters are mostly hardcore gamers and they likely will buy an improved console down the line. The worldwide console market is and always will be limited, simply as console gaming is a luxury hobby. All the poor and 3rd word will play shitty games for free on their phones. So, if you can't enter the poor's market, you must fined away to make the current owners to double-dip.

This is true, all of the big three have tried to encourage the double-dip. I wouldn't have fallen for it, but my son needed to have his own PS4 so I bought myself the Pro because why the hell not.

Impressive numbers. It is almost like people do want the Switch.

Top 3 all time highest selling console is almost guaranteed at this point.

I expected between 500k and 700k, NS OLED launch largely exceeded my prediction.
Its launch didn't harm Sony and MS, PS5 and XS actually enjoyed a small boost instead, probably benefitting from increased inflow in stores and Sony and MS shipping all they could to use the opportunity (disturbing the competitor's big week could be ruled out before even trying due to both NS market little overlapping with theirs and not enough component supplies, so might as well gather what they could and avoid daydreaming and doing useless additional efforts).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!