By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch OLED Boosts Switch Sales to Over 860,000 - Global Hardware Oct 2 to 9

I feel like Switch will make up more ground against 2020, but I still think it will fall short. I doubt it will surpass 2020 for every single week remaining in the year and even when it does surpass 2020 in a given week, I don't always see it being by huge margins like the OLED Launch Week. I could see it losing some ground perhaps later this month or early next month. That being said, I could see the gap being under a million in the end, which is very impressive.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

The Switch's sales here exceeded my expectations. I wonder if the Switch OLED will end up being more popular than the Switch Lite or if it's more front-loaded.

OLED might replace Hybrid in the future, so to me it's no doubt that it will outperform Lite long term. In the end Lite is an easy way to get multiple Switches per-household and lower manufacturing and shipping costs, but not the preferred form factor for new users. OLED on the other hand both allows Nintendo to maintain current pricing but upgrades the visuals of games played in a portable mode. It was the same with the 3DS XL, long term it pretty much replaced the standard model while the 2DS was always just a smaller potential market that allowed price sensitive users to purchase multiple devices per household.  

Last edited by noshten - on 19 October 2021

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through October 9

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to October 13)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to October 12)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to October 10)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to October 9)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 1,630,809 (-69.9%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 1,240,656 (-7.5%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 351,855 (-90.9%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 4,985,432 (-71.9%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I still think Switch 2021 won't quite reach 2020, but it will be close. Nothing Switch got this year was as colossal as Animal Crossing, and last year had less supply issues, but the 2021 holiday lineup is stronger and the OLED model should help make up some of the difference.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 October 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Fight-the-Streets said:
Dante9 said:

Man. I wonder how many Switch owners are going to double dip. A better screen is a better screen, might be a big incentive.

I think "double-dipping" is a strategy Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are doing since a long time. Whether it be a slim model, a bigger harddrive or more power, they know that early adopters are mostly hardcore gamers and they likely will buy an improved console down the line. The worldwide console market is and always will be limited, simply as console gaming is a luxury hobby. All the poor and 3rd word will play shitty games for free on their phones. So, if you can't enter the poor's market, you must fined away to make the current owners to double-dip.

This is true, all of the big three have tried to encourage the double-dip. I wouldn't have fallen for it, but my son needed to have his own PS4 so I bought myself the Pro because why the hell not.

Around the Network

Impressive numbers. It is almost like people do want the Switch.

Top 3 all time highest selling console is almost guaranteed at this point.

I expected between 500k and 700k, NS OLED launch largely exceeded my prediction.
Its launch didn't harm Sony and MS, PS5 and XS actually enjoyed a small boost instead, probably benefitting from increased inflow in stores and Sony and MS shipping all they could to use the opportunity (disturbing the competitor's big week could be ruled out before even trying due to both NS market little overlapping with theirs and not enough component supplies, so might as well gather what they could and avoid daydreaming and doing useless additional efforts).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:

I still think Switch 2021 won't quite reach 2020, but it will be close. Nothing Switch got this year was as colossal as Animal Crossing, and last year had less supply issues, but the 2021 holiday lineup is stronger and the OLED model should help make up some of the difference.

Yeah 25-26 million is what I'm thinking, or down about 10% YoY.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 48 

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 14,077,775
  2. PS5: 12,733,563
  3. XSX|S: 7,775,901

Through the first 48 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.34 million units and is 6.30 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.96 million units.

The Switch has sold 14.08 million in 48 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 12.73 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 7.78 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 48 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 40.7 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 5,126,570
  2. PS5: 4,688,036
  3. XSX|S: 3,653,741

Through the first 48 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.44 million units and is 1.47 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.03 million units.

The Switch has sold 5.13 million in 48 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 4.69 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.65 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 48 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (47 weeks):

1. PS5: 4,725,946
  2. Switch: 3,568,472
  3. XSX|S: 2,361,706

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 47 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.16 million units and is 2.36 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.21 million units.

The PS5 has sold 4.73 million in 47 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 3.57 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 2.36 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 47 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 44.3 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 33.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.2 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 71.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 3,610,859
  2. PS5: 1,104,791
  3. XSX|S: 104,484

Through the first 48 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.51 million units and is 3.51 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.00 million units.

The Switch has sold 3.61 million units in 48 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.10 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.10 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 48 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.9 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 22.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.2 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah 25-26 million is what I'm thinking, or down about 10% YoY.

How do you expect it to be down 10% for the full year when it is only down 7.5% right now?  Switch had nothing special going for it from Oct - Dec in 2020.  This year has OLED and Pokemon.  All indicators say, even if Switch is down in 2021, it will be less than a 7.5% drop.  In fact, it is more likely to be up YoY in 2021.

Do you have a way to calculate how severe the chip shortage will be?  That's the only thing that could make Switch be down, and even then it would have to be pretty severe for everyone (not just Nintendo).