By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch OLED Boosts Switch Sales to Over 860,000 - Global Hardware Oct 2 to 9

Damn, big numbers. Sod all for EU though.

Around the Network

this holiday is going to be dry

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So I guess the difference with last year shrinked from 1.5 million to 1.2 million. And since the console is sold out pretty much everywhere, I guess the gap will keep shrinking.

This is absolutely massive. I hope the gap YoY will keep shrinking like it has this week.

As for Metroid Dread numbers... hope we'll hear soon about shipments from Nintendo PI.

Huge OLED launch

Around the Network

Okay, I still think long-term the OLED won't be as big of a bump as people think, but I fully admit to having my foot in my mouth on those launch numbers. Well done, I stand corrected! And perhaps I will stand corrected again on the OLED long-term.

Dulfite said:

Okay, I still think long-term the OLED won't be as big of a bump as people think, but I fully admit to having my foot in my mouth on those launch numbers. Well done, I stand corrected! And perhaps I will stand corrected again on the OLED long-term.

I dont think there has been many people expecting a massive long term boost from the OLED model, just that it would be a big ticket item this holiday season and help soften the inevitable YoY decline next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Dulfite said:

I dont think there has been many people expecting a massive long term boost from the OLED model, just that it would be a big ticket item this holiday season and help soften the inevitable YoY decline next year.

This exactly.

The main debate has been whether Switch would be up or down this year compared to 2020.  At this point I think it's going to be up.  And considering how well Switch did last year, that makes it a good candidate for breaking the all time annual sales record this year.  Switch had phenomenal sales last year, but it had a fairly weak holiday compared to the rest of the year.  So 2021 may be down YoY so far, but not by a huge margin.  That will likely change to up YoY soon.  With OLED + Pokemon, the main limitation for sales this year will probably be how many Switches Nintendo can supply.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 18 October 2021

Also want to say thanks to trunkswd for getting this out on a Monday. I didn't see that coming, but it's a nice surprise.

Very convincing numbers for a 4.5 year old console. Next year should be pretty healthy with the already announced titles like Zelda BOTW 2, Splatoon 3, Kirby, Mario & Rabbids. The numbers in the next weeks should not fall below 350k, maybe even 400k.