By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How does Jim Ryan plan on doing this?

Jim Ryan in a recent interview said the following:

“I would also like to see a world where the games that we make at PlayStation can be enjoyed by many tens of millions of people," he added. "Perhaps hundreds of millions of people. Right now success with the current console model, a really great PlayStation hit you're talking ten or 20 million people being able to play that game.”

Jim describes the current PlayStation business model as 10-20 million people playing a hit PS game, but he wants it to be hundreds of millions of people. Now Sony is starting to get into the PC market, which certainly has those types of numbers he’s looking for, but idk if it has the reach he’s looking for.

How would Jim Ryan go about getting PlayStation games into hundreds of millions of players? PlayStation Game Pass? Invest heavily into the mobile market? 

Around the Network

Great question. I wondered the exact same thing when I heard him say that. Sounds a lot like Xbox in the earlier years.

By 'advertising' PS IP across other types of media. Just the movies alone will bring in more customers to the PS gaming division, assuming the movies aren't junk. How much growth is questionable and I don't see it being 100 mil customers in just a few years time, but over the course of a decade, now that's a different story. A 'PS Steam Deck' with proper support would also help a lot, since mobile is clearly a big market and continuing to expand. Maybe even a cheaper 'PS5 XBSS'. VR should continue to grow as the tech advances and get's cheaper, plus PS has a monopoly on that with consoles, for now. PS Now could always become somewhat more like Netflix/GP or something beyond that.

Tough to make next level AAA games the more you cater to a growing casual audience though. Plenty of ways, just depends which avenues they take. 

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 07 October 2021

I see this statement the same as when the Xbox Head said there would be something like 1 billion install base for consoles/ Xbox.

These are the things they want since they look at Apple putting phones in a billion hands.

By selling more consoles

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Seems tome like manager talk: managers often look at a bigger picture and compare products of different types. So Ryan may be looking at movies and say: they are watched by 100s million people, I want that for games too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It can be interpreted that at this moment PS5 have only 12M sold so there games there can't be played by all their intended target.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Only way to achieve that is either A. Going fully multiplatform (doubtful), or B. Fully embracing a sub service/cloud gaming on many devices. Not what certain people want to hear, but most will welcome it.

Not even Jim Ryan knows what Jim Ryan means.

By PS6 (yes I think that will happen) pretty sure every SIE game will launch on Windows day one or close to it. Sony seems to be moving towards what Microsoft is doing.

For the time being, there seems to be plenty of demand for consoles despite more and more first-party games also going to Windows.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima