By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Showcase 09/09 - 40 mins of Summer

PotentHerbs said:
Runa216 said:

Man, seeing all the articles and speculation about all the stuff people are expecting, anything less than perfection is gonna leave a LOT of people majorly upset.

I need to pick up some popcorn.

I mean, Sony is promoting this like a major showcase, rather than a smaller, indie focused SoP. They haven't ruled out first party updates & they are giving us a week notice rather than a few days.

Yeah, it might be a 'major' showcase for them, but to them that might just be showing more details of Death Loop, Kena, Horizon, Gran Turismo, and a handful of other titles we already know about with maybe one or two reveals. what Sony considers a major showcase is not the same as the rapid-fire megatons people are expecting. 

I'm sure we're gonna get a handful of lovely announcements, maybe one major reveal, but most of it is going to be rote, general stuff that isn't all that special. 

If you go through this forum, Reddit, Youtube, and even the articles popping up, people expect like 20 different megaton announcements, dozens of new game reveals, in-depth gameplay showcases, major announcements, and eternal wealth. Sony just doesn't do that level of megaton anymore. Last time they had a major reveal or presentation was the showcase with the FFVII Remake reveal. since then they've always been pretty low-key. 

I'd love to be wrong, I am a sony fangirl no doubt. I just think it's super important to keep expectations in check. Nothing in SOny's history has indicated to me that it's gonna be some uber-megaton rapid-fire. I predict like 25 minutes of it will be updates on games we already know about and don't really NEED updates on, 5 minutes announcing random indies, 5 minutes announcing a handful of PS5 versions of existing Ps4 games, and 5 minutes of gameplay reveal for God of War Ragnarok. I would be completely okay with that, and I'd think that'd still be a hell of a showcase in the end, but nowhere near the '6 first part exclusive reveals, 8 third party exclusive reveals, and release dates for every major game coming out next year". Again, I'd like that and it's not impossible, but if it's anything less than that there will be riots. 

Sony has said it's 40 minutes. Sony has not done something this size since last year. I have seen them announce the showcase, but I've not gotten any impression they're claiming it to be anything more than updates on the immediate future. 99% of the hype comes from users and Youtubers. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Yeah, it might be a 'major' showcase for them, but to them that might just be showing more details of Death Loop, Kena, Horizon, Gran Turismo, and a handful of other titles we already know about with maybe one or two reveals. what Sony considers a major showcase is not the same as the rapid-fire megatons people are expecting. 

I'm sure we're gonna get a handful of lovely announcements, maybe one major reveal, but most of it is going to be rote, general stuff that isn't all that special. 

If you go through this forum, Reddit, Youtube, and even the articles popping up, people expect like 20 different megaton announcements, dozens of new game reveals, in-depth gameplay showcases, major announcements, and eternal wealth. Sony just doesn't do that level of megaton anymore. Last time they had a major reveal or presentation was the showcase with the FFVII Remake reveal. since then they've always been pretty low-key. 

I'd love to be wrong, I am a sony fangirl no doubt. I just think it's super important to keep expectations in check. Nothing in SOny's history has indicated to me that it's gonna be some uber-megaton rapid-fire. I predict like 25 minutes of it will be updates on games we already know about and don't really NEED updates on, 5 minutes announcing random indies, 5 minutes announcing a handful of PS5 versions of existing Ps4 games, and 5 minutes of gameplay reveal for God of War Ragnarok. I would be completely okay with that, and I'd think that'd still be a hell of a showcase in the end, but nowhere near the '6 first part exclusive reveals, 8 third party exclusive reveals, and release dates for every major game coming out next year". Again, I'd like that and it's not impossible, but if it's anything less than that there will be riots. 

Sony has said it's 40 minutes. Sony has not done something this size since last year. I have seen them announce the showcase, but I've not gotten any impression they're claiming it to be anything more than updates on the immediate future. 99% of the hype comes from users and Youtubers. 

While the majority of Playstation fans have high expectations for this event, I think most wouldn't need a showcase filled with megaton after megaton to be satisfied, those that do would never be happy regardless. I'll even go as far to say that's a very small fraction of the fanbase, if not trolls setting unrealistic expectations for a gaming presentation. I believe the purpose of this showcase, unless Sony ends up bringing back Playstation Experience, will be to generate hype and show us a roadmap for 2022, from first and third party developers. 

In my original post, I cited a bunch of titles that have a good likelihood of being shown, which would be a satisfying presentation for me personally. Throw in a couple of major third party reveals, as well as a couple of new IP's from second party partners, it has all the ingredients to be the best showcase of the year. 

twintail said:
KManX89 said:

I'd love it if they revealed Guerilla Games' new IP and it turned out to be SOCOM 5. They were rather vague about its details and it could just be an online component this second team at GG is working on for all we know. Then again, they did hire some ex-SOCOM devs, so who knows? Plus I'm not big on Killzone. Sorry, it's just not for me.

I thought it was ex-Rainbox 6 devs?

I have no issue with a KZ MP, as long as they use KZ2 as the baseline. I actually think using a KZ theme for a SOCOM esque game is not a bad idea either: at least it will have a more unique look and feel over another military shooter.

Some of whom previously worked on SOCOM 2 IINM:

I'd gladly take a new SOCOM over another KZ. Never really cared for KZ while SOCOM 2 is one of, if not the greatest multiplayer shooters (or MP games, period) ever made. It was ahead of its time, and so was the first one, too bad it was ruined by an assload of cheaters due to its infamous lack of anti-cheat software.

Show me Metal Gear Rising 2 or Zone of the Enders 3.

Lol I know. eh just expecting AAA shooters. Multiplayer stuff. Dull indie stuff. Now if it showed Astebreed 2 then there is an indie game I'd dig. Also be nice if they showed off Ultra Age as it releases that day. Really just expecting more of the same.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think Resistance Remake will be there from Insomniac.

I would love a Snatcher Remake from Kojima although it is borderline impossible.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I'd prefer a KZ remake than a new Socom. Socom wouldn't survive against COD and BF. But then again, a new MAG would make an amazing GAAS game. That game was way ahead of its time.

Sony needs their own beat'em up and Karting game as they lack in the arcade racer department.

I would love Capcom to make a new PSABR in the essence of Power Stone.

And partner with Sega and MM to make am Astrobot Karting with the LBP / Dreams creation tools.

They also need to release Dreams for PC. That game could be huge on PC.

Finally I think we will get news on new tiers or something for PS+ / PSNow with the Crunchyroll merger being complete.

Around the Network

40 minutes:
5 minutes Horizon
3 minutes Kena
3 minutes Little Devil Inside
3 minutes Ghostwire
3 minutes Forspoken
5 minutes The Last of Us MP
3 minutes Deathloop
5 minutes GT7
10 minutes God of War Ragnarok

Fei-Hung said:

I think Resistance Remake will be there from Insomniac.

I would love a Snatcher Remake from Kojima although it is borderline impossible.

I think I might be in the minority here, but I'd prefer a KZ remake than a new Socom. Socom wouldn't survive against COD and BF. But then again, a new MAG would make an amazing GAAS game. That game was way ahead of its time.

Sony needs their own beat'em up and Karting game as they lack in the arcade racer department.

I would love Capcom to make a new PSABR in the essence of Power Stone.

And partner with Sega and MM to make am Astrobot Karting with the LBP / Dreams creation tools.

They also need to release Dreams for PC. That game could be huge on PC.

Finally I think we will get news on new tiers or something for PS+ / PSNow with the Crunchyroll merger being complete.

Honestly hope not. There's so many remakes and remasters already, and this is one franchise that doesn't need a retread. Would way rather see new IP's for the new generation and/or sequels to stuff which we haven't seen for a while; like Bioshock or even Infamous. Alongside well stuff we already know about.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 September 2021

Fei-Hung said:

Hoping we get updates / surprises of:

GT7
SF6
New Killzone
New Resistance
PSASBR made in partnership with Capcom
Astrobot Karting

One can hope and dream for some of these -_-

I dont understand this mentality, why are gamers not desiring brand new games? Remember spider man? remember Days gone? Remember Ghost of Tsushima? I want more new games like that, something different, not more of the same. I don't understand why is everyone enamoured with astrobot, I didn't like it even tough it was free, nowhere near the great platformers such as mario galaxy, mario odyssey etc Astrobot was a bit meh, played it for like 20 minutes and gave up.

Your list is so sad really, have you no imagination? What about a silent hill reboot? What about Uncharted 5? What about a game of thrones open world RPG? What about Days gone 2? What about a metal gear solid reboot? What about a brand new team ico game?

For the people expecting multyplayer games. I just dont see it. Sony seems to have distanced themselves from them and focused on sort driven single player games and it looks like it worked great for them. The best we are gona get is last of us factions I would assume. If there is some big multyplayer showing it would most likely be 3rd party.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

My predictions for the show

God of War Ragnarok gameplay
The Last of Us II Factions reveal/gameplay trailer
Forspoken gameplay trailer
Metal Gear Solid Remake reveal trailer
Gran Turismo 7 gameplay
Abandoned a Hideo Kojima game (Silent Hill) reveal trailer
Bloodborne Directors Cut reveal trailer - also coming to PC
Spiderman 2 reveal trailer

Bit much but lol.