By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch has outsold Wii U + 3DS

Its two predecessors sold 89.5 million units combined according to Nintendo, (13.56 + 75.94) so as of the latest weekly numbers, Switch has outsold them both.

Early in the Switch's life is was often argued by some that because it was replacing them both, it would have to sell better than both to be a success. This number was also often held up as the maximum potential audience for Switch, as the sum total of their previous home console and handheld install base.

Well, here we are.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 August 2021

Around the Network

Now when will it outsell the Wii and Gamecube combined

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Now when will it outsell the Wii twice over.

The Switch isn't officially a success before it outsells every previous Nintendo console combined. 

@Leynos Probably by the end of next year.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Now when will it outsell the Wii and Gamecube combined

Forget that!

When will switch outsell NES + SNES + N64 + GC + Wii + Wii U.

VGC will never be satisfied, EVER!!! The cliff is always there

我是广州人

The Switch isn't a success unless every person on Earth has one.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I recall seeing arguments from people that it in fact has to outsell DS and Wii since that was Nintendo's peak...

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I'd say Wii U + 3ds is the minimum a unified device should be able to sell (if it wasn't that popular). Wii + DS would be the maximum if it was the most popular device of all time-level.

I think in the end it will be closer to the first than the second, but still ahead by tens of millions.

One of the next big goals is GBA+GameCube. There's virtually no way it will match or exceed DS+Wii.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima