By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch has outsold Wii U + 3DS

HoangNhatAnh said:
Dulfite said:

According to Wiki, roughly 576 games came out on GB Color, and roughly 30% of them were compatible with the original Gameboy. That is certainly more than the few the New 3ds had over the original 3ds, no doubt about it, but that also means ~ 70% of those 576 games (or about 403 games) were exclusive to just the Gameboy Color. So, better hardware + hundreds of exclusive games. Personally, I think that is its own generation.

I can say the same about Dsi by your logic, these games are Dsi only:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games_and_applications

No, you really can't. The vast majority of games on that list are shovelware, A-budget games. Even looking exclusively at the Nintendo made ones shows no major games on it at all that were DSI onesn that I could find. No major 3d Mario, 3d mario, kirby, Mario kart, Zelda (2d or 3d), etc. It's basically just shovelware. The only games that have Mario attached to them on that list are ones that someone could make with $50,000 in their grandma's basement:

Dr. Mario Express
Game & Watch: Mario's Cement Factory
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
MarioCalculator
MarioClock

GBC had a ton of AA to AAA budget exclusives, such as:

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal.
Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

These two situations are very contrasting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
icykai said:

Is the New Nintendo 3DS considered a newer generation than the base 3DS? It had exclusives that the base 3DS can't play. I just grouped them based on Nintendo's numbers.

According to Wiki, roughly 576 games came out on GB Color, and roughly 30% of them were compatible with the original Gameboy. That is certainly more than the few the New 3ds had over the original 3ds, no doubt about it, but that also means ~ 70% of those 576 games (or about 403 games) were exclusive to just the Gameboy Color. So, better hardware + hundreds of exclusive games. Personally, I think that is its own generation.

I do partially agree with you that it should be considered a gen of its own, but since Nintendo grouped them I'm grouping them. I get your idea and it makes more sense honestly.

icykai said:
Dulfite said:

I do partially agree with you that it should be considered a gen of its own, but since Nintendo grouped them I'm grouping them. I get your idea and it makes more sense honestly.

Yeah, can't really do anything about it when Nintendo decided to do it that way themselves. Oh well.

Dulfite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

No, you really can't. The vast majority of games on that list are shovelware, A-budget games. Even looking exclusively at the Nintendo made ones shows no major games on it at all that were DSI onesn that I could find. No major 3d Mario, 3d mario, kirby, Mario kart, Zelda (2d or 3d), etc. It's basically just shovelware. The only games that have Mario attached to them on that list are ones that someone could make with $50,000 in their grandma's basement:

Dr. Mario Express
MarioCalculator
MarioClock

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Many GBC only games will become small indie nowadays, it also has 5 non indie games:

CSIUnsolved, Earthworm Jim, Foto Showdown, Picture Perfect Hair Salon, System Flaw

New 3ds has notable exclusives too:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Fire Emblem Warriors

Minecraft

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Dulfite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Dr. Mario Express
MarioCalculator
MarioClock

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Im pretty sure Pokémon Gold and Silver works on the Gameboy pocket not just the color.

Around the Network

Shouldn't be too far into next year that the Switch passes Wii U + 3DS + Vita, which is kinda fitting as it sorta is the unofficial successor to the Vita as well as the 3DS/Wii U in its role as a premium handheld or provider of "home console games on the go".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 September 2021

curl-6 said:

Doesn't seem like that long ago that even "Switch will sell on par with 3DS" was a fairly frequent claim, and it was common thinking that Nintendo's last two systems represented everyone still interested in buying a device from them. Goes to show just how unexpectedly things can turn out in this industry, and how many consumers have no commitment to a brand and will come and go depending on how good the current product is.

I own a Wii U and a 3DS but not a Switch.  Go figure.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

I look forward to the discussions of when Switch+Nintendo’s next generation will outsell DS+Wii.

Chicho said:
Dulfite said:

Dr. Mario Express
MarioCalculator
MarioClock

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Im pretty sure Pokémon Gold and Silver works on the Gameboy pocket not just the color.

I wasn't contesting that, I was just saying the original gameboy can't handle most of the GBC games.

Dulfite said:
Chicho said:

I wasn't contesting that, I was just saying the original gameboy can't handle most of the GBC games.

You have it as an example of an exclusive but it works on the monochrome Gameboy so is not a color exclusive.