By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch has outsold Wii U + 3DS

Dulfite said:
icykai said:

GC+GBA will most likely be done by the end of this year(103.5M). The only challenge now is N64+GB/GBC(151.62M). Wii+DS is unrealistic.

Since when are we counting GB/GBC as the same generation? GBC could play GB games, but from what I've read GB couldn't play most GBC games (they could for some that came out early in GBC's life). GBC had more/better MHz, RAM.

Is the New Nintendo 3DS considered a newer generation than the base 3DS? It had exclusives that the base 3DS can't play. I just grouped them based on Nintendo's numbers.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Medisti said:

I've been reading people talking about the upcoming cliff for four and a half years now. By the time it happens, after the next Nintendo console launches, they'll go "I told you so!" as if that drop doesn't happen to nearly every last-gen console once its replacement is on the market.

Well it should sell around 27 million this year, compared to the 28 million from last year, so I guess people will see a cliff here

Well, if I was the head of a company, I would be praying for a cliff like that. The cost of producing the machine gradually goes down over time, so such a small decrease in sales likely means more in profit.

bdbdbd said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Wonder when a playstation home console will outsell PS3 and PSP combined.

I doubt we will see it happening anytime soon.

I will say this to any people who ask if Switch can outsell DS + Wii.

JRPGfan said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Switch beat Wii U + 3ds, both software and hardware.

Can ps5 beat ps4 + vita, both software and hardware?

bdbdbd said:

No, Wii and DS.

Wonder when a playstation home console will outsell PS3 and PSP combined.

Too early to tell, but most likely not. 
135-140m is a hard thing to do (estimated ~120m PS4s by its end of sales, and ~16m Vitas).

bdbdbd said:

"wonder when a Nintendo hybrid console, will outsell Wii + NDS combined."

^-^

Basically same question, both best selling consoles + handhelds of a gen together.

The question is why even bother raseing such bait worthy questions? they dont feel like "legit" ones, just ones to trigger people.

I just used the same trick from the people who said Switch must outsell DS + Wii.

PS3 + PSP sold 167mil, Sony can never do that again.

DaAndy said:
brute said:

Everyone keeps on mentioning (rightfully) that Switch wont top Wii + DS hardware sales, however, what are the odds it passes the combined profit of those 2 systems? Or at the very least, combined software sales?

No Idea about the profit, but that seems to be the "most likely" one.^^

Combined Software sales also is kind of impossible. According to Nintendo data together Wii and NDS sold roughly 1.87 billion games. (921.85 Milion Wii-Games and 948.74 Million NDS-Games)

Switch currently (June 30th 2021) is at 632 million, thats basically one-third. So Switch needs like 1.25 billion games sold more than right now life to date.

(I guess it only refers to games on cartridges, but I am not very sure. Please feel free to correct me for the case I am wrong.)

I dont think that is possible. Switch easily will surpass 1 billion and probably also 1.2 billion, but 1.87 billion is massive.

Yeah only cartridges but software sales are messed up anyway with all those digital cheap games.

brute said:

Everyone keeps on mentioning (rightfully) that Switch wont top Wii + DS hardware sales, however, what are the odds it passes the combined profit of those 2 systems? Or at the very least, combined software sales?

Last year the Switch made more profit than the Wii and DS combined in their peak year. Bold: So I'd say that's in the bag, especially considering digital sales making more profit.

Around the Network
DaAndy said:
brute said:

No Idea about the profit, but that seems to be the "most likely" one.^^

Combined Software sales also is kind of impossible. According to Nintendo data together Wii and NDS sold roughly 1.87 billion games. (921.85 Milion Wii-Games and 948.74 Million NDS-Games)

Switch currently (June 30th 2021) is at 632 million, thats basically one-third. So Switch needs like 1.25 billion games sold more than right now life to date.

(I guess it only refers to games on cartridges, but I am not very sure. Please feel free to correct me for the case I am wrong.)

I dont think that is possible. Switch easily will surpass 1 billion and probably also 1.2 billion, but 1.87 billion is massive.

Bold: Yes that's correct, that number only includes games with a physical release.

On the other hand the Wii and DS numbers don't include Wii Ware, DSi Ware and virtual console. They're likely both over 1 billion if those are included.

Would be very helpfull if Nintendo disclosed the total number including digital only games. I can imagines it already being over 800M with those.

Just as Gameboy sold alongside three generations of Nintendo systems, Vita sold alongside the PS3 as well as the PS4; while PS3 + PSP is probably forever out of reach for both Nintendo and Sony, Switch should outsell PS3 + Vita within the next 6 months.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 September 2021

icykai said:
Dulfite said:

Since when are we counting GB/GBC as the same generation? GBC could play GB games, but from what I've read GB couldn't play most GBC games (they could for some that came out early in GBC's life). GBC had more/better MHz, RAM.

Is the New Nintendo 3DS considered a newer generation than the base 3DS? It had exclusives that the base 3DS can't play. I just grouped them based on Nintendo's numbers.

According to Wiki, roughly 576 games came out on GB Color, and roughly 30% of them were compatible with the original Gameboy. That is certainly more than the few the New 3ds had over the original 3ds, no doubt about it, but that also means ~ 70% of those 576 games (or about 403 games) were exclusive to just the Gameboy Color. So, better hardware + hundreds of exclusive games. Personally, I think that is its own generation.

HoangNhatAnh said:
bdbdbd said:

I will say this to any people who ask if Switch can outsell DS + Wii.

JRPGfan said:

Too early to tell, but most likely not. 
135-140m is a hard thing to do (estimated ~120m PS4s by its end of sales, and ~16m Vitas).

bdbdbd said:

"wonder when a Nintendo hybrid console, will outsell Wii + NDS combined."

^-^

Basically same question, both best selling consoles + handhelds of a gen together.

The question is why even bother raseing such bait worthy questions? they dont feel like "legit" ones, just ones to trigger people.

I just used the same trick from the people who said Switch must outsell DS + Wii.

PS3 + PSP sold 167mil, Sony can never do that again.

Agreed.

Yet people mention Wii + DS which is nearly 100mil more than PS3 + PSP.

The closer comparison, sales total wise, would be PS2 + PSP :D

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Dulfite said:
icykai said:

According to Wiki, roughly 576 games came out on GB Color, and roughly 30% of them were compatible with the original Gameboy. That is certainly more than the few the New 3ds had over the original 3ds, no doubt about it, but that also means ~ 70% of those 576 games (or about 403 games) were exclusive to just the Gameboy Color. So, better hardware + hundreds of exclusive games. Personally, I think that is its own generation.

I can say the same about Dsi by your logic, these games are Dsi only:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games_and_applications