By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch has outsold Wii U + 3DS

The best thing about Switch is its neither of those platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:

That's an impressive feat considering the switch is missing

smash bros, 2d mario, star fox, metroid prime, pilot wings, mario kart, pikmin, and many more.

I don't understand why you're saying the Switch is missing Smash Bros when it was released back in December of 2018.

I still believe the switch will easily do over 150 million. And expect it to be on the market for a few more years. Seeing as Nintendo can still do a few more revisions to the system as well as price drops and players choice games if they wanted too. From Nintendo's point of view, why rush out a new system. This generation is totally different from the past generations.

Plus, next year is going to be a lot stronger than this year in terms of big name games that are coming out.

我是广州人

Before launch my hope for the Switch was at least Wii U + 3DS. I am very happy to see that it made it. Next up is Wii.

Ashadelo said:
Leynos said:

Now when will it outsell the Wii and Gamecube combined

Forget that!

When will switch outsell NES + SNES + N64 + GC + Wii + Wii U.

VGC will never be satisfied, EVER!!! The cliff is always there

Quick maths got that to around ~280 million units.
So only 190 million more units sold to go :)

curl-6 said:

Its two predecessors sold 89.5 million units combined according to Nintendo, (13.56 + 75.94) so as of the latest weekly numbers, Switch has outsold them both.

Early in the Switch's life is was often argued by some that because it was replacing them both, it would have to sell better than both to be a success. This number was also often held up as the maximum potential audience for Switch, as the sum total of their previous home console and handheld install base.

Well, here we are.

Proof is in the pudding.
It outsold both the 3ds + Wii U combinded, and did better on software too.
Its a success story for nintendo.

Concept wise, it makes so much sense (2in1, with better catalog than either a home console or handheld alone, would have.)

Around the Network

I've been reading people talking about the upcoming cliff for four and a half years now. By the time it happens, after the next Nintendo console launches, they'll go "I told you so!" as if that drop doesn't happen to nearly every last-gen console once its replacement is on the market.

Dulfite said:

I'd say Wii U + 3ds is the minimum a unified device should be able to sell (if it wasn't that popular). Wii + DS would be the maximum if it was the most popular device of all time-level.

I think in the end it will be closer to the first than the second, but still ahead by tens of millions.

And PS3 + PSP >>> PS4 + vita too, Sony failed!

HoangNhatAnh said:
Dulfite said:

I'd say Wii U + 3ds is the minimum a unified device should be able to sell (if it wasn't that popular). Wii + DS would be the maximum if it was the most popular device of all time-level.

I think in the end it will be closer to the first than the second, but still ahead by tens of millions.

And PS3 + PSP >>> PS4 + vita too, Sony failed!

Yep, sony looked at vita sales and said "no more handhelds".
Nintendo looked at console sales, and said "no more home consoles".
Their hybrid solution is pretty good though (effectively its a handheld).

Medisti said:

I've been reading people talking about the upcoming cliff for four and a half years now. By the time it happens, after the next Nintendo console launches, they'll go "I told you so!" as if that drop doesn't happen to nearly every last-gen console once its replacement is on the market.

Switch will fall off a cliff in 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022

Kakadu18 said:
victor83fernandes said:

That's an impressive feat considering the switch is missing

smash bros, 2d mario, star fox, metroid prime, pilot wings, mario kart, pikmin, and many more.

Is this some kind of troll comment?

Yes, and a really bad one.