By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Pokémon Legends Arceus trailer

It's not a looker but I don't think it looks plain terrible. Anyway, my decision to purchase this will come from how interesting the overworld is to explore, if the mission design does not get repetitive, and how well balanced the new gamepplay mechanics are (if one of the "styles" is too broken or much more useful than the other, things will get boring easily).

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 19 August 2021

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

This has the potential to be great for the franchise. Could this be Pokemon's Breath of the Wild moment??

I've only played the original Pokemon (Red) and Sword, and while I don't understand the hate some people have toward Sword, I will say I thought it was only decent and it made it clear Pokemon hasn't progressed from the original, so even just having played the first and the last pokemon games it seems clear Pokemon is in need of a revitalization of gameplay. Sword struck me in the same way Twilight Princess did back when it came out on the Wii - a good game but strong with the realization that the gameplay hasn't progressed and is feeling a bit tired at this point and therefore not was good as I expected.

In Sword the Wild Areas concept is what struck me as where this franchise needs to go but as the entire game, and Legends looks like it is doing exactly that. If they get the gameplay right then this game could represent the future of Pokemon and hopefully be the template for later games and not just this Legends off-shoot series.

I wasn't planning on getting a second Pokemon game on Switch, but if this turns out great I may pick this up.

- As a side note, what's up with all the Pokemon graphics hate these days?? Pokemon is a cartoon style, the Switch games look perfectly fine. I haven't once had a single thought about graphics while playing Sword or watching this Legends trailer. If ya'll are focused on Pokemon for the graphics you're doing things wrong! :p Unless you're hoping for a hyper realistic art direction in pokemon, which obviously won't happen, I don't see why anyone is talking about graphics here.

Many of the Pokémon fans are miserable chronic complainers, but will still buy every product as though cultists ordered by their master to do so :D

I don’t know, that’s just what it seems. I agree with you, not sure what the hate for the graphics is all about.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Slownenberg said:

- As a side note, what's up with all the Pokemon graphics hate these days?? Pokemon is a cartoon style, the Switch games look perfectly fine. I haven't once had a single thought about graphics while playing Sword or watching this Legends trailer. If ya'll are focused on Pokemon for the graphics you're doing things wrong! :p Unless you're hoping for a hyper realistic art direction in pokemon, which obviously won't happen, I don't see why anyone is talking about graphics here.

It's ugly. That's all. Style is not the concern, but bad quality assets, animations, lightning etc. Compare this to New Pokemon Snap and you will quickly understand:

If you don't care about how bad a game looks that's up to you, some people obviously care



Watched it yesterday with my son He loved everything he saw and I'm very much looking forward to it also



IcaroRibeiro said:

It's ugly. That's all. Style is not the concern, but bad quality assets, animations, lightning etc. Compare this to New Pokemon Snap and you will quickly understand:

If you don't care about how bad a game looks that's up to you, some people obviously care

You're comparing a literal on rails game where you are funneled through very specifically crafted areas and cant adjust where you are going at all to a completely free roaming open world title. The comparison is just not justified. A Sword and Shield comparison is much more apt. Which, IMO, this looks better. 



Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's ugly. That's all. Style is not the concern, but bad quality assets, animations, lightning etc. Compare this to New Pokemon Snap and you will quickly understand:

If you don't care about how bad a game looks that's up to you, some people obviously care

You're comparing a literal on rails game where you are funneled through very specifically crafted areas and cant adjust where you are going at all to a completely free roaming open world title. The comparison is just not justified. A Sword and Shield comparison is much more apt. Which, IMO, this looks better. 

There are plenty of other 3D exploration games on Switch, too. Can I say that even freaking Ass Creed III, which is originally from 2012 and with its stale look and all, at least does an ok job in not ever looking like this? 

Yeah, games of completely different styles and all, but I think III does alright at what it intends to do with its looks, which I think it's the important thing. If you want an even fairer comparison, there will always be Breath of the Wild, which is prone to the same problems that afflict Arceus due to the similar visual style, but instead it is one of the best looking 3D action games on Switch. I mean, I'm in the understanding that The Pokémon Company is in the position to produce a game of at least comparable stakes. 



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Slownenberg said:

- As a side note, what's up with all the Pokemon graphics hate these days?? Pokemon is a cartoon style, the Switch games look perfectly fine. I haven't once had a single thought about graphics while playing Sword or watching this Legends trailer. If ya'll are focused on Pokemon for the graphics you're doing things wrong! :p Unless you're hoping for a hyper realistic art direction in pokemon, which obviously won't happen, I don't see why anyone is talking about graphics here.

It's ugly. That's all. Style is not the concern, but bad quality assets, animations, lightning etc. Compare this to New Pokemon Snap and you will quickly understand:

If you don't care about how bad a game looks that's up to you, some people obviously care

Obviously I care if a game looks bad. But this doesn't look bad, that's the point! It's not supposed to be a realistic looking game, it's a simple cartoon style, and that's exactly what it looks like and it's fine.

As I said, watching that trailer there was not a single moment when I even thought about or noticed the graphics because it looks perfectly fine. My thoughts watching the trailer were: woah this seems cool (better than expected), could be a fantastic new template for Pokemon if they nail the gameplay.

And then I see people commenting on graphics and that just seems bizarre to me. The graphics look perfectly fine, which is what I expect from a pokemon game. Sure it'd be nice and all if the graphics were so good that I actually noticed them and were like wow they look amazing, but as they stand now they're not amazing they're not bad they're just fine and you don't even notice them unless your goal is just to complain about anything Pokemon. Which seems to be the goal of lots of Pokemon fans these days after all the nonsense complaining about Sw/Sh animations/graphics/whatever minor gripe ya'll could come up with - the complaint I have about Sw/Sh for example is that the gameplay is only decent, graphics and everything was perfectly fine.

I wonder what it must be like to refuse to like stuff simply because it's perfectly fine, and then get angry on the internet...lol. "Hardcore Fans" are funny that way, they nitpick themselves into hating what they love.



SecondWar said:
sundin13 said:

Graphics still are a bit messy, but the gameplay looks real good. I'm very interested.

I think that may be down to the limitations of the Switch. It’s quite reminiscent of New Pokemon Snap.

Yeah, I had similar issues with Pokemon Snap too but I don't think it just comes down to the limitations of the Switch. Breath of the Wild still looks gorgeous and its art style isn't completely different from this. 

I think a big part of the problem is the ground looks pretty bad. When its covered with grass it looks okay, but when it isn't the ugly becomes real noticeable. It is just too flat and the textures are pretty ugly, so they need to be hidden or else... oof. Compare the following from different Switch games:

The other games have a lot more detail and depth and shadowing to the ground textures making them look pretty good, but in Pokemon Legends, it just looks like a blurry mess. 



If I want to be kind I would call the graphics dissapoint, at the moment it feels they did the bare minimum for the Graphics/Story/New gameplay elements.

Weird thing is I want it to succeed so they build on it and make a big open world game with plenty villages and towns with a ton of exploration side quests.

I am curious about its reception on the release it seems to be one of those games that could bore a gamer after 10 gamers or be addicting like hell.






Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's ugly. That's all. Style is not the concern, but bad quality assets, animations, lightning etc. Compare this to New Pokemon Snap and you will quickly understand:

If you don't care about how bad a game looks that's up to you, some people obviously care

Obviously I care if a game looks bad. But this doesn't look bad, that's the point! It's not supposed to be a realistic looking game, it's a simple cartoon style, and that's exactly what it looks like and it's fine.

As I said, watching that trailer there was not a single moment when I even thought about or noticed the graphics because it looks perfectly fine. My thoughts watching the trailer were: woah this seems cool (better than expected), could be a fantastic new template for Pokemon if they nail the gameplay.

And then I see people commenting on graphics and that just seems bizarre to me. The graphics look perfectly fine, which is what I expect from a pokemon game. Sure it'd be nice and all if the graphics were so good that I actually noticed them and were like wow they look amazing, but as they stand now they're not amazing they're not bad they're just fine and you don't even notice them unless your goal is just to complain about anything Pokemon. Which seems to be the goal of lots of Pokemon fans these days after all the nonsense complaining about Sw/Sh animations/graphics/whatever minor gripe ya'll could come up with - the complaint I have about Sw/Sh for example is that the gameplay is only decent, graphics and everything was perfectly fine.

I wonder what it must be like to refuse to like stuff simply because it's perfectly fine, and then get angry on the internet...lol. "Hardcore Fans" are funny that way, they nitpick themselves into hating what they love.

If you don't find this bad I can't even imagine what is your definition of bad