By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Is the Fastest Selling Console with over 10 Million Units Sold

The Playstation 5 continues to break records for Sony and the industry. It has officially sold over 10 Million units in a month less than the PS4. Jim Ryan confirmed the PS5 has seen double digit growth in engagement when compared to the PS4's launch period. Jim Ryan has also noted his excitement about the PS5 launch in China, as they have allocated a "good amount of stock," but still blew through it very quickly. It will be interesting to see how the PS5 continues to grow in China and who Sony decides to partner with in that region. 

PS5 is the fastest-selling PlayStation as it hits 10m sales milestone | GamesIndustry.biz

We also got a minor sales update for a few first party games: 

Miles Morales - 6.5+ Million

MLB The Show 21 - 2 Million (over 4 Million players)

Ratchet and Clank - 1.1+ Million 

Returnal - 560K 

Around the Network

Nice.

16 million by the end of the year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Last edited by Evilms - on 28 July 2021

Nice. A fantastic record breaking start. Usually systems ramp up during the first year but PS5 seems to have the front-loaded hype behind it, I guess from PS4 owners all hyped up to buy the brand new system instead of waiting until games come out for it. Also PS4 sales have basically completely died even with cross-gen games, so the normal extended post-life sales Sony normally enjoys has died off with the PS4.

Only one blockbuster game though over 8 months into its life. Has PS5 not really had any big games release yet? Other than Miles Morales is everyone just playing PS4 games on their PS5? Did the pandemic delay all the big games that were scheduled for early release on next-gen?

As a Switch owner this just makes me think how Switch at 8 months already had BotW, MK, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey.

Slownenberg said:

Only one blockbuster game though over 8 months into its life. Has PS5 not really had any big games release yet? Other than Miles Morales is everyone just playing PS4 games on their PS5? Did the pandemic delay all the big games that were scheduled for early release on next-gen?

As a Switch owner this just makes me think how Switch at 8 months already had BotW, MK, Splatoon, and Mario Odyssey.

Was every Switch owner just playing Wii U games like BotW and MK8 in its first 8 months?

I'm currently playing a lot of PS5 games and enhanced PS4 games:

Astro‘s Playroom (60 fps), Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (RT + 60 fps/120 Hz), Marvels Spider-Man Remastered (RT + 60 fps), Miles Morales (RT + 60 fps), Sackboy (60 fps), Oddworld: Soulstorm (60 fps), The Last of Us 2 (60 fps), God of War 2018 (60 fps), Ratchet & Clank 2016 (60 fps), Days Gone (60 fps), Dreams (much better performance for complex user levels) and Persona 5 Royale… soon I'll add Ghost of Tsushima Director‘s Cut (60 fps) and Crash Bandicoot 4 (60 fps).

Most of them in 1800p - 2160p.

P.S.: 30 fps has to die!

Last edited by Conina - on 28 July 2021

Around the Network

Too bad 9 mil of them were from scalpers. Who'm I kidding? might be a generous estimate, it's probably closer to 9.5m.

Cool.

So MLB sold something between 1.5 and 2B on PS4+5, 0-0.5B on Series plus got 2M players on GP?

I would expect Ratchet and Clank to already have higher numbers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Fap worthy numbers!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

High numbers indeed. Here's my speculation.
1. At least 2 million of those were sold to scalpers, possibly 3 million or more.
2. PS5 will outsell the Wii and PS1, but fall short of the PS4 and Switch (and anything higher than that). I see the demand for PS5 as very front-heavy. So very different from the PS3 and pretty different from the Switch as well.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

From these numbers we can now conclude that:
- The system is mostly front-loaded
- Scalpers helped selling the system
- Games at $70 Don’t sell
- Software Sales are extremely bad
- Sony is Doomed.

Am I missing something?