By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Switch's Growing Third Party Problem" is the worst VGChartz article ever

Would like the article's writer to comment in this thread.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

To Ryuzaki. When we critize your article, we are not criticizing you as a person, but only the article. Recently I learned that this is obvious but that it can still be mixed up, so even the obvious things must be said from time to time.

Your article was very biased and the critique you get for it is not meant personally. But you could have done much better if you tried to be more objective.

GoOnKid said:

To Ryuzaki. When we critize your article, we are not criticizing you as a person, but only the article. Recently I learned that this is obvious but that it can still be mixed up, so even the obvious things must be said from time to time.

Your article was very biased and the critique you get for it is not meant personally. But you could have done much better if you tried to be more objective.

This is well said.  I've written so many posts about this article and I keep deleting them before I finish because I feel so bad.  Best to just let it alone.  But hopefully the author uses this moment to be a better writer (as opposed to forum poster) when creating content for the site.  You may get a lot of clicks and comments for what you wrote, but they're not the kind you want, I can assure you of that.  

Metallox said:

Would like the article's writer to comment in this thread.

Doubtful. ryuzaki has become mostly inactive in the forum since Vita reached end of life and the success of the Switch became undeniable. Two posts so far in 2021, four in 2020. 2018 was the last year he was actually active in the forums.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I agree that Nintendo could have transition issues in two or three years.It's the first time we've seen a hybrid system. We don't have metrics to measure. The last cycle has started, it's true, so when will it fall? Where is the expandable consumer game? If Nintendo follows the example of the WiiU and Gamecube, the public will leave, true if Nintendo cuts down on game releases as well. It's also true that Nintendo has a tough road to go when it comes to third parties. But it got better.

The problems are based on omission and inferences based on the UK chartz. Omission or lack of research. I have no right to accuse the Ps5 of a failed console based solely on selling Japanese software. It sucks, but worldwide sales say otherwise. But the inference of loss of the East Asian market is possible, because you have the gray market estimates for China and for Taiwan, Korean and Japanese software sale

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

I hope he won't take it personnally, or else I'll feel bad about it :/

The Switch is not looking to be like the Wii's 2011 and onward at all. We have lots of first-party games confirmed for 2022, and third-party games will continue to come to the Switch in large numbers. AAA titles will not be a big thing, but they haven't been at all during the Switch's lifespan. For every Witcher 3 that pushes the Switch to its absolute limits, we have around 100 smaller third-party games (of varying quality).

Besides some similarities like not being a massive hardware leap from their home console predecessors and selling very high numbers, the Switch and Wii are quite different. The Switch is currently leading the Wii by about 4.5 million hardware units (see the June 2021 numbers).

The AAA third-party titles of the day have not consistently come to a Nintendo console since the SNES, and it won't ever happen again. The N64 and GameCube were held back by their game formats (cartridge and mini DVD). Wii, Wii U, and Switch have been held back by weak specs.

If you want more than a handful of AAA third-party games each year, you get a PC, PlayStation, or Xbox.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Not one person who has ever bought a Switch, bought it for AAA games. Switch owners who buy those games buy it because either they're double-dipping for it being portable or just think eh why not. I have Wolfenstein II on PS4 and Switch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ryuzaki has not liked the Switch dominating in Japan for the longest hence this article.

VGC has a pretty bad track record with their original content in my opinion. It feels like they kind of just publish whatever people are willing to write for them, which often leads to some pretty bad articles. At this point, I have to wonder why they bother with opinion content. Does anyone actually come to this site because of that stuff?