By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Movies that were panned by critics, but weren't really that bad

I see that Hannibal has 40 on RT (but 57 on MC). Doesn't help that it lives in the shadow of The Silence of the Lambs, but I thought it was a decent film in its own right.

BASEketball has 42 on RT and 38 on MC. That's a film that's never failed to make me laugh.

Around the Network

I like the Star Wars prequels. Not going to disagree with the dialogue being goofy or pretend they are my favorite movies, but in anticipation for episode 7 I rewatched the prequels and original trilogy in that order and was surprised how much I still enjoyed eps 1-3. I enjoy the galactic politics and grander universe of the prequels and definitely prefer them to the sequel trilogy. Also, AJAB so I don't really care about critics opinions. If I like something I don't let a mob ruin my own enjoyment.

SKMBlake said:

White Chicks

/thread

In no particular order, only counting ones I have seen and appreciated unironically:

• Fight Club (1999) - To be fair, people are still often divided over this film.
  • Gojira (1954) - The original Godzilla film was a legitimately good sci-fi/horror/thriller film, yet people wrote it off for being implausible (no shit).
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Reception was pretty divided, considering how this is widely considered one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever created.
  • The Producers (1967) - It had a mixed at best reception back in the day, possibly because the dark humor was a bit much for some people.
  • The Thing (1982) - Critics love it nowadays, but reviews I've found from critics around release seem to be mixed at best. Nowadays, everybody knows that this is a great sci-fi horror story.

Love and tolerate.

danasider said:
SKMBlake said:

White Chicks

/thread

Watched it the other day, have Thousand Miles in my head since then

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

While I do feel happy for everyone involved when there is a movie I like that also was received well critically, I never refer to them for my levels of enjoyment.

Most of the time I have no idea how critics reacted to movies I love. The Patriot (Mel Gibson) is my favourite movie of all time, and I'm pretty sure it is mostly forgotten about today.

I guess a big one for me is Adam Sandler flicks. Love em. Can't get enough.

Superhero flicks like: Man of Steel, BvS, Thor, are all severely underrated in my opinion.

1doesnotsimply

A Haunted House (20 metacritic) and A Haunted House 2 (17 meatacritc) where actually both pretty decent I almost enjoyed them as much as Scary Movie and Scary Movie 3 my two favorite movies from the Scary Movie franchise. Kung Pow is the lowest rated movie that I actually think is great I would give it a 8/10 its one of my favorite comedies in the last twenty years its also super quotable which makes it so good.

A Haunted House is a fantastic movie. Don't know why it received such a bad rating. This is one of my favorite comedies.

Last edited by Mitevoca - on 16 June 2021

Apollo 18 has a 23% score on Rotten Tomatoes and a 24 on Metacritic but I found it was an effectively creepy horror flick that did a good job of capturing the era it was set in.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I honestly didn't know Happy Gilmore was panned by critics until recently. I liked that movie a lot.