By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that were panned by critics, but weren't really that bad

The Thing (1982) got a 57 metacritic score but is actually one of the best horror movies of the 1980s. Plus, Ennio Morricone's score got nominated for a razzie but it's actually one of his best scores.

Around the Network

Venom 1 and 2 were pretty entertaining movies despite critics not liking them.

It's usually comedies. I believe Tommy Boy doesn't have good reviews or as good as it should and it's a god damn classic. Movie reviewers have worse sense on comedy. Yet they'll give a movie with fat ass girl comedian awesome reviews because you know main comedian is a girl.  Basically most people aren't funny and they get offended if fart joke is actually funny.  Fuck people

No idea lol. Where does one find critic opinions lol.

All I know is movies I like most people don't or wouldn't have seen.

i.e. Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies as an example lol.

Think someone mentioned this before but Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. The extended version added a lot to the movie and is probably one of my favorite comic/super hero movies of all time. That warehouse fight scene is just downright amazing. Film is right up there with Chonicle.

Around the Network

The most recent example is Jurassic World Dominion. It' s just as good or bad as the other Jurassic movies. Maybe not as good as Jurassic Park 1, but clearly not as bad as Jurassic Park 3 or Jurassic World 2 Fallen Kingdom.

siebensus4 said:

The most recent example is Jurassic World Dominion. It' s just as good or bad as the other Jurassic movies. Maybe not as good as Jurassic Park 1, but clearly not as bad as Jurassic Park 3 or Jurassic World 2 Fallen Kingdom.

Jurassic Park 3 was bad, Will try that Jurassic Park Dominion.

Idle Hands.

People viewed it as more of a horror movie when it was just a stoner buddy flick.

When I was a teen, my friends and me used to laugh a lot with the Scary Movie series.

And the titles from this franchise can be found at a lot of "worst movies ever" lists.

Trumpstyle said:

The first Starship troopers as some have mention is a great movie, another one is Soldier with Kurt Russell. Starship Troopers is probably better though.

Starship Troopers probably got some of the bad reviews from people who loved the original Henlein books and were shocked that the movies are basically their antithesis: Instead of glorifying the military and the war they got vilified and turned into a laughingstock. The other half of the bad reviews probably didn't see through the satire and thought it was just a gung-ho action movie.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Hmmm..

Sucker Punch - reapply previous description, plus cool effects
Die Another Day - Sure, it's cheesy, but a fun Bond film with some great action scenes
The World is Not Enough - Guess I'm partly biased for the Brosnan Bond films growing up with them, but again, I don't see why this one was panned in particular. Outside of a poor performance from Denise Richards, I struggle to really find faults. Overshadowed by Goldeneye for sure, but still a great narrative and a bit of a darker tinge of Bond which I dig.
It's come to my attention that "History of the World Part 1" is under 50% so definitely that one too - into ancient/some Medieval history and like much of Mel Brooks wacky, raunchy style of humor so no-brainer for me. Gets a little goofy at times but also some clever, hilarious jokes.
The Eagle - Fun adventure film set in Ancient Rome. Even if there's a lot of "down" time, there are some memorable moments.
Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith - Has loads of flaws (hell just watch the Plinkett review on youtube haha) but it's a pretty epic conclusion and interesting the transformation from Anakin to Darth Vader, has a darker tinge too which I like.

Somehow, my favorite Brosnan Bond movie is Tomorrow Never Dies, and it always seems like it's getting forgotten. I wonder why.

As for History of the World Part I... Only a Miracle can save us now (from bad reviews)