By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies that were panned by critics, but weren't really that bad

Shusuke Kaneko's 2006 two-part live action adaption of Death Note received a tepid reception from Western fans and critics on release, even if general audiences in Japan seemed to love it, and they're two of my favourite films of all time.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 June 2021

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Shaunodon said:

Con Air is a certified classic in my book.

On any other day, this would seem strange

Con air got bad reviews? I thought it was amazing. 

Machina said:
  • Event Horizon (1997) - 35% Meta | 7/10

35... wow. Wouldn't have thought it'd be that low. Great film.

pikashoe said:
JRPGfan said:

^ basically this.

I dont buy into the "its so bad, its good" stuff.
Or "mindless action fun".

Basically if a movie is hated by critics, its almost certain its just a bad movie.

Wow, just no to all of this.

I think Predator (the original) is a perfect poster child showing critics actually do get it wrong, even overwhelmingly.  Predator isn't an amazing movie, but I think it's an overall good movie.  At worst a guilty pleasure movie, but not a bad movie by any means.

Lube Me Up

I think a lot of comedy movies from the 80s or 90s were deemed bad, like Boomerang for Eddie Murphy, but we are actually decent and entertaining

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

On any other day, this would seem strange

Con air got bad reviews? I thought it was amazing. 

Con Air is 56% on RT and 52% on Metacritic.  Those scores aren't terrible, but they are definitely too low.  Maybe critics started hating Nicholas Cage even before he started making bad movies?  There are also these on Rotten Tomatoes:

National Treasure 1  46%
National Treasure 2  36%

2019's Godzilla King of the Monsters has a 42% rating on rotten tomatoes but I absolutely loved it.
It delivered exactly what I wanted; the monsters I'd grown up with brought to life in a whole new way with modern technology, beating the crap out of each other in epic fashion. And that soundtrack. *Chef's kiss*

John Carter actually sucked.

I thought the Robocop reboot from 2014 was pretty good. Also the Child's Play reboot.

White Chicks