By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Movies that were panned by critics, but weren't really that bad

The Japanese Godzilla movies are considered a laughing stock in critical circles but I like most of them and even really love some of them.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

The Perfect Storm even though critics didn't completely hate it; its metascore is 59 I liked it a lot more then the critics and most people.

Probably every movie I've ever liked.

In my experience the movies that get the best review scores are the shittiest most boring movies around, so it stands to reason that if I hate movies that critics like then critics probably hate movies that I like.

Con Air is a certified classic in my book.

Didn't rewatch since I was a young teenager, but I and my fam loved Anthony Hopkin's "Instinct". Several years later I find out it wasn't exactly a critics' darling.

Around the Network

Probably every arnie, van damme and stallone movie.

The majority of Adam Sandler movies are good, but critics can’t stand him for whatever reason. I think the only Adam Sandler movie I’ve seen that was actually bad and deserved the hate was Jack and Jill. I love Grown Ups, 50 First Dates, Big Daddy, Mr. Deeds, Happy Gilmore, and Blended in particular.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 June 2021

Clue (1985) is an absolute classic, and while it has good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 39 on Metacritic. Phenomenal movie with a fantastic cast and that amazing campy 80's vibe.

Also to those in the comments saying if critics pan it, it can't be good....lord help you....

Shaunodon said:

Con Air is a certified classic in my book.

On any other day, this would seem strange

JRPGfan said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

None

I never watched a movie in my life that received negative reviews and end being good

^ basically this.

I dont buy into the "its so bad, its good" stuff.
Or "mindless action fun".

Basically if a movie is hated by critics, its almost certain its just a bad movie.

user scores tend to be higher than critic scores, sometimes extremely higher.

Look at "Kung Pow" --average critic score is 14.  Average user score is 8.6

That tells me that critics don't have any sense of humor, or they don't know what they are talking about.

Around the World in 80 days was hilarious, I don't know how it's any less of a movie than any of the other Disney movies, well non-musicals anyway.