By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg's report: Nintendo Switch 'Pro' Reveal Expected Before E3

We're still going to get a major new piece of Switch hardware this year or worst case it will happen next year. It does seem highly unlikely now that the "Switch Pro" will be unveiled before Nintendo's conference this week. I mean E3 has started, so why would Nintendo reveal their next hardware release when they only have a few days before their E3 showing?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:

Supply chain issues going on right now might be forcing Nintendo to delay announcement. I'm hoping the "pro" switch has enhanced mode for old switch games (frame rate) and prefer that new games not necessarily be exclusive (just have better frame rate and/or graphics in general).

A Switch Pro if it's using a 5nm/6nm/7nm/10nm/12nm chip will help to alleviate supply issues with the 16nm chip supply for the current Switch devices as not all the eggs are being sources from a single basket.

Where things might start to get congested in the supply chain is with NAND/DRAM and Display IC's... But they could use all newer technologies on all those fronts so they can alleviate some supply constraint for the Switch and Switch Lite.

Slownenberg said:

I imagine framerate performance would be automatic right. Like framerate slows down if system can't handle it, more powerful system would keep those instances  steady. Now of course if you're talking about a game that's say locked at 30fps getting a bump to 60fps that would be something they'd have to go in and do an update. Same thing I suppose for resolution. Resolution drops will automatically fix itself in games where that happens, but to get an actual boost in resolution above what the game is set to do, or for example to 4k when docked, they have to go in an update the specific game.

Many games use a dynamic resolution (Doom, Wolfenstein etc'), so the newer hardware would allow those games to naturally look better.

As for framerate, you will only get better framerates if the framerate cap is unlocked unless a developer goes back and patches it.

Otter said:

Spec-wise these have been very minor improvements and the list of exclusive games are also very weak. It'll interesting if the Switch differs in both being a big power leap, which also then leads a to a major wave of exclusives due to the existence of PS4/Xbox One.

The closest comparison is probably Gameboy colour which truly had a life of its own and was still counted as a Gameboy total sales. 

IMO what will make this unprecedented is if Switch Pro is forward compatible with Switch 2 games but we won't find out for a very long time. The power jump will give us a hint though.

3DS Specs:
CPU: ARM 11 Dual Core @268Mhz.
Ram: 128MB+6MB Video.
GPU: 133Mhz PICA

New 3DS Specs:
CPU: ARM 11 Quad Core @804Mhz.
Ram: 256MB+10MB Video.
GPU: 204Mhz Pica.

3DS was leagues better.

DS Specs:
CPU: 67Mhz+33Mhz ARM9+7.
Ram: 4MB

DSi Specs:
CPU: 133Mhz+33Mhz ARM9+7.
Ram: 16MB.

Twice the CPU clock, 4x the Ram. GPU details are a little bit weirder due to the type of graphics hardware the DS used.
Either way, the DSi was a big step up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Otter said:

Spec-wise these have been very minor improvements and the list of exclusive games are also very weak. It'll interesting if the Switch differs in both being a big power leap, which also then leads a to a major wave of exclusives due to the existence of PS4/Xbox One.

The closest comparison is probably Gameboy colour which truly had a life of its own and was still counted as a Gameboy total sales. 

IMO what will make this unprecedented is if Switch Pro is forward compatible with Switch 2 games but we won't find out for a very long time. The power jump will give us a hint though.

3DS Specs:

New 3DS Specs:

3DS was leagues better.

DS Specs:

DSi Specs:

Twice the CPU clock, 4x the Ram. GPU details are a little bit weirder due to the type of graphics hardware the DS used.

Yeah, I mean more relative to what would be required for a generational leap for in-game performance and graphics. I could be mistaken but the jump in ram was mostly for OS operations or? In any case the new 3DS still struggled with a wii port and wasn't about to trick anyone into thinking it was a generation apart from the base 3DS.

Otter said:
Pemalite said:

3DS Specs:

New 3DS Specs:

3DS was leagues better.

DS Specs:

DSi Specs:

Yeah, I mean more relative to what would be required for a generational leap for in-game performance and graphics. I could be mistaken but the jump in ram was mostly for OS operations or? In any case the new 3DS still struggled with a wii port and wasn't about to trick anyone into thinking it was a generation apart from the base 3DS.

They aren't supposed to be a generational leap, they are part of the same generation and are advertised as such.
The New 3DS had 64MB dedicated to the OS, where-as the older variant had 32MB.

So still 96MB > 192MB. Aka. Doubling plus 40% more VRAM...
3x CPU clock in conjunction with doubling of the CPU cores was a big big improvement.

By comparison the Playstation 4 Pro was a doubling of GPU resources over the Playstation 4, same capacity Ram, improved CPU clocks.
The Xbox One X over the Xbox One had a big uptick in CPU clocks, massive increase in GPU clocks, 50% more Ram.

But they are all the same generation of devices.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Otter said:

They aren't supposed to be a generational leap, they are part of the same generation and are advertised as such.
The New 3DS had 64MB dedicated to the OS, where-as the older variant had 32MB.

So still 96MB > 192MB. Aka. Doubling plus 40% more VRAM...
3x CPU clock in conjunction with doubling of the CPU cores was a big big improvement.

By comparison the Playstation 4 Pro was a doubling of GPU resources over the Playstation 4, same capacity Ram, improved CPU clocks.
The Xbox One X over the Xbox One had a big uptick in CPU clocks, massive increase in GPU clocks, 50% more Ram.

But they are all the same generation of devices.

Right, thats exactly my point. Nintendo has done this in the past, what would make it different is if there is forward compatibility. I.e imagine Xbox went with a new CPU for Xbox One X (something they almost did), and that some games going forward were exclusive to series X and Xbox One X, but not on Xbox One. That would break the conventional treatment of generations, and appear more similar to what we've seen in the mobile or PC hardware space. I was saying if the Switch "Pro" eluded to such a breaking of conventions it would be clear once we get the spec sheet. Currently the Orin rumours seem out of place with Nintendo's past behaviour but it could be because they are taking a new approach to generations.

Either way, I think we're very close to one of the big 3 taking this approach. Microsoft is already hinting at it by the way they display platforms support on their cases. Its simply "Xbox" with supported platforms beneath.

Last edited by Otter - on 13 June 2021

Around the Network
Otter said:
Pemalite said:

3DS Specs:

New 3DS Specs:

3DS was leagues better.

DS Specs:

DSi Specs:

New 3DS was a handheld, not a home console; so handling a Wii port is actually quite an accomplishment. And not just any game either, Xenoblade chronicles was the most impressive game on the Wii. The original 3DS was incapable of it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Otter said:

New 3DS was a handheld, not a home console; so handling a Wii port is actually quite an accomplishment. And not just any game either, Xenoblade chronicles was the most impressive game on the Wii. The original 3DS was incapable of it.

Hmmm...the new 3DS was a handheld released late 2014 and mobile hardware had grown leaps and bounds beyond Wii which was already hugely outdated in 2006, and more closely resembled a 2001 Gamecube than anything else. Managing a downgraded wii port on a handheld in 2014 was not much of an accomplishment imo.

But the point is not to poop on the new 3DS. The OG 3DS was clearly geared as a PS2 tier system. The new 3DS just better realised this vision but not much more than that. As permalite said it's clearly of the same generation and marketed so. I was just saying this is what I meant when I said the improvement was small/incremental 

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Pepsi Man finally got a rival in the Video Game industry

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

nothing