By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Lifetime Sales Predictions

How well do you think PS5 will sell lifetime?

Under 50 million 2 1.38%

50-75 million 4 2.76%

75-100 million 24 16.55%

100-125 million 85 58.62%

125-150 million 29 20.00%

150+ million 1 0.69%

Total:145

I prefer VGChartz site articles but I'll chime in on your forum here :). You heard it here 1st folks and no jokes involved. Sony's 9th gen champion will do a 150+ million sold lifetime.

20+ years Sony's been chasing the ghost of the PlayStation 2. A legacy Kaz Hirai and Ken Kuturagi left behind to Kenichiro Yoshida and Mr. Jim Ryan to fulfill. And I'll say it here PS5 will outsell the PS2. I respect all opinions and I'll get roasted for this but its cool lol. I'll revisit this same thread 7 years later if VGChartz is still here up and running. Good luck to all the big 3 this 9th generation Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. Oh ... And regards to Sony slipping in Japan ... What can I say. Lottery tickets ain't cutting it for Sony's stock issues. Peeps in Akihabara go more crazy!

Last edited by AFattyGamer - on 05 May 2021

Around the Network

It's early to say. We're only about six months in. But I'm here anyway, so I'll bite.

I'd say 105 million, barely passing the PS1. I don't see really any way it sells below 95-100 million and almost no way it sells above 120-125 million.

I know it's just about the fastest-selling video game hardware ever (at least in the Americas), but that doesn't mean it will be in the top 3-5 best-selling pieces of hardware ever. The video game hardware market seems to be stabilizing, and will probably start shrinking in the next 5 years or so.

Given Sony's stupid decisions and the growing amount of PC gamers, I don't think PS5 will match the PS4 in lifetime sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

About 120 million.

Its coming with a lot of momentum, Sony's fanbase is very loyal, they've already announced releases of several of their most popular frachises, so I'd assume it'll sell very well.
Maybe in the 100m-110m range.

I dont expect it to sell as well as Ps4, Xbox is coming strong this gen and PS5 is releasing with a prime Switch on the market, as opposed to the unpopular WiiU, so you have to assume its gonna lose some of the Ps4 userbase.

100-110m

I don't think it'll do quite as well as the PS4. Xbox didn't shoot themselves in the foot and Nintendo seems to have a strong dominance in JP but as with every Playstation console, it'll sell very well and be a success. The only one of the big 3 that has consistency

Around the Network

I think ~100M

I'm actually expecting this gen to be more frontloaded than the previous generations of Playstation and Xbox, having a sales trajectory more similar to the Wii than to the PS4

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 05 May 2021

Fairly early to say, but I'll go with it dances around the PS4's numbers, slightly above or slightly below.

120m.

At this point I expect to sell on par with PS4, maybe a little better due to population/market growth.
I see no reason for it to sell less, nor greatly more.

90-100 million

The future of industry is streaming services and subscription  hardcore gamers can ignore it as much they want  but the casual gamer who only wants to play next Fifa and Call of Dury will give priority to whatever gives them the cheaper deal

Sony resilience in fully embrace a new business model will cost them some late gen sales, as we can see by the sharp decline in PS4 sales there is no more warranty of PS consoles having exceptional legs and PS4 support was very healthy in 2020 and will get many cross gen titles this year, that means PS4 probably already exhausted their pool of customers who intended to buy a Playstation and my guess is this pool isn't exactly growing anymore 

So far console market continued success was due to an increase in purchase power  population growth, stable prices when we take inflation in count as well as the growth of emergent markets

Population isn't growing at all in Sonyland: Europe. The decrease of new born european children are haunting console makers soon or later, even worse when those children are all  born into streaming world and maybe a big white box maybe not be as attractive ad playing online on their PCs

Emergent markets are going to suffer a severe crisis in next years thanks to Covid pandemic. More fragile Latam economies are the one to struggle the most. Asian markets will do much more fine, but Playstation will face a stronger competition in China where Nintendo is probably going to dominate their console market for some time 

And of course, this gen is the first time in a while prices are climbing and of I'm not sure if the impact will pass unnoticed trough consumers. Third parties being less expensive using Game Pass already make the Playstation 5 less attractive from a consumer standpoint. Sony seems to be aware of that, that's why they are consolidating their IPs, but I feel Sony IPs are VERY limited to action adventure story focused games, as much there is a lot market and demand to them I'm totally sure they won't be enough to carry a system if PC and Streaming slowly becomes the norm to play 3rd parties