By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Lifetime Sales Predictions

How well do you think PS5 will sell lifetime?

Under 50 million 2 1.38%

50-75 million 4 2.76%

75-100 million 24 16.55%

100-125 million 85 58.62%

125-150 million 29 20.00%

150+ million 1 0.69%

Total:145
trunkswd said:
Norion said:

They're focusing enough on it still to do better than last time I think. Stuff like making sure their console is the more powerful one shows they do still wanna remain competitive in the console space though it is true they care less about console sales than they did in the past.

The prices for the Xbox is better this generation. Last-generation it was $399 for a PS4, while the less powerful Xbox was $499, but came with Kinect. Kinect was unbundled in 2014, which dropped the price to $399 to match PS4. This generation the Xbox Series X is the same price as the PS5, while the Xbox Series S is $299 compared to the $399 PS5 Digital Edition. Of course, the Series S is the weakest of the next-generation consoles, which is how it is so much cheaper. 

Yep the Xbox pricing is significantly better while the PS pricing is about the same with PS5 being $50 more expensive considering inflation and the digital one $50 cheaper. I have doubts the Series S will have much success outside of people in lower income brackets but when it's reduced to $199 it'll be an impulse buy sort of thing for some people.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Well it really depends on whether we're looking at an ordinary 7 year lifecycle and how the transition from PS5 to the hypothetical PS6 will be. I think that a year down the line from now it will stop gaining ground compared to the PS4 launch aligned and that it might lose its lead in the long run. Then if it gets replaced after the usual 7 years I expect it to finish very close to the PS4.
Just for fun let's make a super specific prediction and say 118 mil.

With the supply shortages, Sony is hoping to just beat out PS4's first full fiscal year of 14.8 million shipped. April 2014 to March 2015 for PS4 and April 2021 to March 2022 for PS5. 

Yup, they're clearly not going to be able to do a ton more, but I do expect them to beat it.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

75-100m, about the same as the PS3. I think a fair amount of people will just get a Switch only or use Gamepass only and that will cause a decrease in the Playstation userbase.

I'm going to say around PS4 numbers. I'm going to guess 120M sold. I expect PS5 to lose a couple of million in Japan compared to PS4 since PS is quickly dying over there. Maybe slightly expand in Europe since PS4 did amazingly well in Europe and I expect word of mouth to continue to expand PS5 there. I expect PS5 to be roughly flat in NA and maybe lose some market share since Xbox now has the slight price advantage and maybe gamepass could be a selling point to people, unlike last gen where Xbox One was at a huge disadvantage. Americans love Xbox so it's certainly possible PS loses market share to Xbox, but not much.

Still strong numbers but I'm going to say less than the PS4. 93-98 million.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I think it's not going to match PS4, and fall short by a tad.

Assuming it's games are going to be kept off the PS5, I think the lack of Bethesda will help Microsoft steal some marketshare, and since the total size of the market, sans Nintendo, is more or less the same since the sixth gen I think that means there's going to be less of an audience for PS5 as there was for PS4.

Now, obviously this won't be some kind of great and epic turnaround. The PS5 is still going to reach 100M, so let's say 105-110M, 10M less than PS4, to Xbox's 60M.

If Microsoft snags away some more, it'll be a bit less even for PS5, but I'd say if games are going to end up on PS5 anyway, this gen's sales are going to be pretty much identical to last gen.

Less than the PS4. It'll still make Sony a lot of money but I think it's inevitable that the PC market and Game pass will lower the PS5's ceiling. I also think that Sony will, once again, cut the legs off of their current platform to give its successor the best chance for success.

I think it will do better in some parts of the world since the market has been opening up but i feel like Xbox will be a bigger competitor this gen and Nintendo as well. So i do think it will most likely cross 100 millions but i do not see it outselling the PS4. So 105-110 millions.

Based on momentum, there's a good chance it outsells the PS4 - which I expect to sell about 120-125 million. PS4 sold that much with a poor launch year and coming off the PS3, which took a long time to get any momentum, so seeing the PS5 releasing with similar momentum to thePS4's later years AND having a very strong first year on the market, I see it doing just a bit more. 125-130 million.

Of course, They've fucked up in the past like with PSV and PS3, so anything could happen. They are not immune to arrogance.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

120-30m. PS5 will only increase its lead over PS4 in 2022 with a superior software line up compared to Playstations 2015. There's no real sign of Playstation slowing down and I think only late/mid gen interference from Switch 2 and potential Xbox Exclusives like Elderscrolls will slow it down. I think the worst case scenario is 120m.