By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 13, 2021 - (Mar 22 - Mar 28)

animegaming said:
Mnementh said:

The same reason people buy it in other regions: brand power. The basic brand promise of Playstation is: it eventually will have games. That was true for the early adopters of PS3 and PS4 as well, so the promise is unbroken and the brand has trust.

The issue is that in other regions when the PS5 gets a decent boost for its stock, the games for it like Demon Souls and Miles show a noticeable increase in sales. That ain't happening in Japan even though Soulsborne usually sells great in Japan and Spider-Man PS4 was second to Ghost of Tsushima for the best selling first-party game on PS4. Like for fucks sake, the lowest game on the chart is in the two thousand range and you would think of the very least something for the PS5 would show up, when numbers get that low. Something about the PS5 software sales just doesn't make sense. The PS4 never had this problem when it came to selling software at any point in its life.

None of those games have ever carried a platform though. They've launched on 1m+ userbases, had a strong launch week then fallen of the charts. This is why I think its particularly hard for those launch titles to keep afloat months later. PS4 saw new releases chart but the only returning software entries in the top 40 was Battlefield 4 if I'm not mistaken. So I really think lack of new software is mostly the problem, PS4 had far more new releases in Japan within its first 2months alone.

As others said, purchasing going elsewhere in asia, a much higher digital ratio than past consoles, and a lottery like system may all be contributing to low software on the charts.

RE8 will be a very telling case study 

Around the Network
Otter said:
animegaming said:

The issue is that in other regions when the PS5 gets a decent boost for its stock, the games for it like Demon Souls and Miles show a noticeable increase in sales. That ain't happening in Japan even though Soulsborne usually sells great in Japan and Spider-Man PS4 was second to Ghost of Tsushima for the best selling first-party game on PS4. Like for fucks sake, the lowest game on the chart is in the two thousand range and you would think of the very least something for the PS5 would show up, when numbers get that low. Something about the PS5 software sales just doesn't make sense. The PS4 never had this problem when it came to selling software at any point in its life.

None of those games have ever carried a platform though. They've launched on 1m+ userbases, had a strong launch week then fallen of the charts. This is why I think its particularly hard for those launch titles to keep afloat months later. PS4 saw new releases chart but the only returning software entries in the top 40 was Battlefield 4 if I'm not mistaken. So I really think lack of new software is mostly the problem, PS4 had far more new releases in Japan within its first 2months alone.

As others said, purchasing going elsewhere in asia, a much higher digital ratio than past consoles, and a lottery like system may all be contributing to low software on the charts.

RE8 will be a very telling case study 

Yeah, RE8 has a chance to chart high, so that we can gauge software sales on PS5. Although, recently a new title charted, forgot which one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I do agree that RE8 is gonna be interesting to see, if the first two or so years of the PS4 are any indication, then the last gen version will likely sell better. But the question is by how much and how good will RE8's legs be on both platforms?

While there is no PS5 version, Nier's opening should also be an interesting one, as that will be the first Playstation game to release in quite some time without a Switch version and if Automata is any indication the game should open good and have great legs.

Farsala said:

Switch has tiny HD space

With SD cards costing nothing (like 128Gb costing less than 20$) and really easy to install, I really doubt HD space is an issue on the Switch. I currently have a 400Gb one bought for 60$ and wouldn't mind buying a 1Tb one when the cost will go less than 100$.

Mnementh said:
kazuyamishima said:

Seems that Capcom “under shippedâ€Â physical copies so people had to buy the digital copy and they can make more profit.

Clever Capcom.

And MHR did similar numbers compared to MHW, interesting.

Yeah, sometimes I think publishers want to push us towards preordering or digital (or best of all: preordering digital).

But to be fair, Capcom couldn't deliver more than retailers would take. And retailers have a risk if they overstock a game and can't get rid of that for months.

Overstock a new Monster Hunter game in Japan? 

Around the Network

The important thing is how much Capcom and retailers ordered for Week 2 and beyond, if next week Monster Hunter Rise drops only by 60% it would already be at 1.82M. By Week 3 it will become the 2nd best selling 3rd Party game on the Switch and also surpass 2 million sales. By the end of April, it will likely be the best selling 3rd Party game overtaking Momotaro.

Prediction Monster Hunter Legs

Week 1: 1300K
Week 2: 520K (-60%)
Week 3: 270K (-50%)
Week 4: 189K (-30%)
Week 5: 170K (-10%)
Week 6 - Golden Week: 204K (+20%)

TOTAL: 2.65M

With this optimistic prediction + digital it would already be the 3rd Best selling Monster Hunter title of all time.
Obviously, I think based on the launch Capcom won't be able to ship so much but interested to see how much they do actually ship and how legs hold up.

Launch sales mean nothing on the Switch Momotaro launched with under 400K and has sold 1.6M since than in less than half an year. For Rise, Golden Week, Obon, Decemeber are things yet to come, the game should surpass 3.5M by the end of the year physical alone. 

Last edited by noshten - on 02 April 2021

siebensus4 said:

267k is actually the range what Switch sold during holidays last year, so you can't complain... Pokémon Snap, Miitopia, Mario Golf and Skyward Sword should carry the Switch to a weekly bottom of 80-100k in Japan until July.

It’s kinda crazy that 80-100K a week could be possible for Switch’s 5th year while this week’s PS5 sales of over 62K is considered “great,” not to mention not having any PS5 games in the top 30 either. I know stock is an issue, but will we actually see the weekly PS5 sales average 80-100K even once the stock issues are mostly resolved?

Mnementh said:
Eagle367 said:

Next week will probably have switch outselling the week last year. And MHR will probably have some great legs as well. But can someone tell me why people in Japan are buying ps5s? I'm happy for the PS4 but I can't remember any PS5 game selling well. Is it future-proofing or something?

The same reason people buy it in other reagions: brand power. The basic brand promis of Playstation is: it eventually will have games. That was true for the early adopters of PS3 and PS4 as well, so the promise is unbroken and the brand has trust.

That makes me fearful that the PS5 will be very front loaded in Japan and might not have the best legs. But we shall see

Last edited by Eagle367 - on 02 April 2021

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Kai_Mao said:
siebensus4 said:

267k is actually the range what Switch sold during holidays last year, so you can't complain... Pokémon Snap, Miitopia, Mario Golf and Skyward Sword should carry the Switch to a weekly bottom of 80-100k in Japan until July.

It’s kinda crazy that 80-100K a week could be possible for Switch’s 5th year while this week’s PS5 sales of over 62K is considered “great,” not to mention not having any PS5 games in the top 30 either. I know stock is an issue, but will we actually see the weekly PS5 sales average 80-100K even once the stock issues are mostly resolved?

Do you expect PS5 to sell at peak switch levels in Japan? What was the last dedicated home console to see averages of 80-100k per week? Its all relative to expectations and past performance. The PS5 has been selling significantly better than the PS4 now that stock is available. The question is whether it can maintain that lead over its predecessor, not really whether it can catch up to Switch

All games that hit 5mil+ (ship+digital)

NSW will have the most with a minimum 5 games lifetime.

01) 9.19mil: ACNH (NSW)
02) 8.22mil: PokeRB (GBC)
03) 7.17mil: PokeGS (GBC)
04) 6.81mil: SMB (FC)
05) 6.49mil: NSMB (DS)
06) 5.85mil: ACNL (3DS)
07) 5.85mil: PokeDP (DS)
08) 5.54mil: PokeBW (DS)
09) 5.40mil: PokeRS (GBA)
10) 5.35mil: ACWW (DS)
11) 5.30mil: MHP3 (PSP)
12) 5.19mil: PokeSwSh (NSW)