By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 13, 2021 - (Mar 22 - Mar 28)

01./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise # (Capcom) {2021.03.26} (¥7.990) – 1.302.132 / NEW


Does the 6% count promotional giveaways? For example, you are a twitch or youtube streamer and Capcom gave you a free copy of Monster Hunter Rise, would that be counted in the 100%?



我是广州人

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

01./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise # (Capcom) {2021.03.26} (¥7.990) – 1.302.132 / NEW


Does the 6% count promotional giveaways? For example, you are a twitch or youtube streamer and Capcom gave you a free copy of Monster Hunter Rise, would that be counted in the 100%?

It's an estimate of sales based on reports from the stores. Famitsu doesn't track online stores (some) and Nintendo Store.



Imagine what Switch and MH Rise physical numbers would be like if there was more supply of both. I doubt either is meeting demand right now.

Still, great numbers for both.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 April 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Imagine what Switch and MH Rise physical numbers would be like if there was more supply of both. I doubt either is meeting demand right now.

Still, great numbers for both.

Switch is not even meeting demand in the US, let alone Japan.



Kai_Mao said:
Otter said:

Do you expect PS5 to sell at peak switch levels in Japan? What was the last dedicated home console to see averages of 80-100k per week? Its all relative to expectations and past performance. The PS5 has been selling significantly better than the PS4 now that stock is available. The question is whether it can maintain that lead over its predecessor, not really whether it can catch up to Switch

I personally don’t know what to think of the PS5’s future performance. Sure, it’s significantly better now. But what about 2-3 years from now? Or 4-5 years? It’s interesting because:

1) software sales don’t appear to align with the hardware sales in Japan. Not a single PS5 in the top 30. Sure you can say “no digital,” but you can say that with  a good amount of the games in the top 30, especially Nintendo games in which they don’t disclose digital sales on the weekly charts.

2) Will games like RE8, FFXVI, etc., make enough of a difference to maintain pace above PS4? The PS4 had all the big third party titles from Japan and it just missed the 10 million mark in terms of hardware sales. How does that happen? Especially when the Switch is completely out lapping the entire competition. And it’s not like games like DQ, FF, or MH are some nice quality franchises. Some would argue that their prestige is up there with the Mario’s and Pokémon’s in Japan. So much that we usually expect LTD sales in at least 1-2 million for new entries in these respective franchises. And now you have smaller Japanese titles no longer ignoring the Switch and the sales potential behind that user base.

I guess the main goal would be to have the PS5 above 10 million LTD in Japan. But even then, I don’t know if that’s a guarantee. We’ll just have to see if hardware sales legs will last for PS5 beyond the launch year period.

Final Fantasy has been declining in Japan for a long time now. FFXV sold just over 1 million copies. It's nowhere near even DQ anymore. If FFXVI sells more than XV I will be surprised.

The PS5 will most likely sell less than the PS4 LT. I don't see any reason for it to do better. Starting with the PS3 the Playstation brand has seen a decline in Japan and with the Switch dominating the market I don't see the PS5 stopping this decline. My guess is the PS5 will sell 8mil at most.



Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Kai_Mao said:

I personally don’t know what to think of the PS5’s future performance. Sure, it’s significantly better now. But what about 2-3 years from now? Or 4-5 years? It’s interesting because:

1) software sales don’t appear to align with the hardware sales in Japan. Not a single PS5 in the top 30. Sure you can say “no digital,” but you can say that with  a good amount of the games in the top 30, especially Nintendo games in which they don’t disclose digital sales on the weekly charts.

2) Will games like RE8, FFXVI, etc., make enough of a difference to maintain pace above PS4? The PS4 had all the big third party titles from Japan and it just missed the 10 million mark in terms of hardware sales. How does that happen? Especially when the Switch is completely out lapping the entire competition. And it’s not like games like DQ, FF, or MH are some nice quality franchises. Some would argue that their prestige is up there with the Mario’s and Pokémon’s in Japan. So much that we usually expect LTD sales in at least 1-2 million for new entries in these respective franchises. And now you have smaller Japanese titles no longer ignoring the Switch and the sales potential behind that user base.

I guess the main goal would be to have the PS5 above 10 million LTD in Japan. But even then, I don’t know if that’s a guarantee. We’ll just have to see if hardware sales legs will last for PS5 beyond the launch year period.

Final Fantasy has been declining in Japan for a long time now. FFXV sold just over 1 million copies. It's nowhere near even DQ anymore. If FFXVI sells more than XV I will be surprised.

The PS5 will most likely sell less than the PS4 LT. I don't see any reason for it to do better. Starting with the PS3 the Playstation brand has seen a decline in Japan and with the Switch dominating the market I don't see the PS5 stopping this decline. My guess is the PS5 will sell 8mil at most.

I feel like the reasoning of the Playstation brand has seen a decline in Japan is very similar to the arguement regarding nintendo home consoles that, if you ignore the wii they've just declined generation over generation.

It should be noted however I believe it is ok to use this argument for video game franchises, as they have more data points to look off of, which is why I agree about FFXVI probably not selling as well as FFXV, but we shall have to wait and see.



Kakadu18 said:
Kai_Mao said:

I personally don’t know what to think of the PS5’s future performance. Sure, it’s significantly better now. But what about 2-3 years from now? Or 4-5 years? It’s interesting because:

1) software sales don’t appear to align with the hardware sales in Japan. Not a single PS5 in the top 30. Sure you can say “no digital,” but you can say that with  a good amount of the games in the top 30, especially Nintendo games in which they don’t disclose digital sales on the weekly charts.

2) Will games like RE8, FFXVI, etc., make enough of a difference to maintain pace above PS4? The PS4 had all the big third party titles from Japan and it just missed the 10 million mark in terms of hardware sales. How does that happen? Especially when the Switch is completely out lapping the entire competition. And it’s not like games like DQ, FF, or MH are some nice quality franchises. Some would argue that their prestige is up there with the Mario’s and Pokémon’s in Japan. So much that we usually expect LTD sales in at least 1-2 million for new entries in these respective franchises. And now you have smaller Japanese titles no longer ignoring the Switch and the sales potential behind that user base.

I guess the main goal would be to have the PS5 above 10 million LTD in Japan. But even then, I don’t know if that’s a guarantee. We’ll just have to see if hardware sales legs will last for PS5 beyond the launch year period.

Final Fantasy has been declining in Japan for a long time now. FFXV sold just over 1 million copies. It's nowhere near even DQ anymore. If FFXVI sells more than XV I will be surprised.

The PS5 will most likely sell less than the PS4 LT. I don't see any reason for it to do better. Starting with the PS3 the Playstation brand has seen a decline in Japan and with the Switch dominating the market I don't see the PS5 stopping this decline. My guess is the PS5 will sell 8mil at most.

The last traditional console to do more than 20 million units was the PS2. 

Even the Wii did about 12.xx million units sold

It has to do more about traditional home consoles declining in Japan rather than Playstation consoles.



Third Party Previous update: 

3rd Party Top 30 Switch

  1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 2.072.296
  2. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 1.872.739 
  3. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 1.302.132 NEW
  4. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 641.868
  5. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 566.909
  6. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 566.887
  7. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate* (Capcom) - 379.611
  8. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 376.481
  9. Yo-kai Watch 4 (Level 5) - 358.356
  10. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 354.983 
  11. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237
  12. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 284.876 
  13. Super Bomberman R3 (Konami) - 275.029 
  14. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) - 262.501 NEW
  15. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 248.024
  16. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) - 213.453
  17. Octopath Traveller (Square Enix) - 193.780
  18. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 185.990
  19. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  20. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 164.944
  21. Puyo Puyo S (Sega) - 154.573
  22. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  23. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 144.082 
  24. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 141.889 
  25. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 137.513 
  26. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 132.714 
  27. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) - 131.317 NEW
  28. FIFA 18 (EA) - 122.998 
  29. Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 121.740 
  30. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 112.277

TOTAL: 12.138.264

Three games fell off the Top Thirty - Doraemon: Story of Seasons, Pro Baseball Famista Evolution, The Snack World: TreJarers Gold 

Top 10 Publishers:

  1. Konami - 2.880.225
  2. Microsoft - 1.872.739 (+1)
  3. Bandai Namco - 1.784.109 (-1)
  4. Capcom - 1.681.743 (+3)
  5. Square Enix - 1.374.479 (-1)
  6. Marvelous - 571.527 (+2)
  7. Sega - 531.054 (-2)
  8. Level 5 - 358.356 (-2)
  9. Koei Tecmo - 354.983 (-1)
  10. Ubisoft - 213.453

Konami nears 3 million sales on the Switch across it's titles, it should make it to three million before Baseball Spirits launches in the summer. 

Bandai is losing position in the chart as two of their games fell off the chart, allowing Microsoft to move ahead of them with a single title. As Bandai only had Little Nightmares 2 in Q1 and the only other rumored game is a late port of Kakarot I think they will fall behind further in the coming months. 

Capcom moves into 4th position thanks to Rise, it looks like it will slot into 2nd place by May and never look back as Stories 2 and the leaked Ace Attorney game should help it start to catch up to Konami

Square's Trails of Mana is the next game likely to fall outside of the chart, while Bravely Default 2 will likely surpass 200K physical it's still not a stellar result as they limited physical sales yet again due to shortages. 

Marvelous continues to make ground, and should surpass 1 million units in the summer if Rune Factory 5 is able to get good WoM, while Olive Town & Sakuna continue to add sales to their current totals. 

Koei Tecmo will overtake Level 5 and has Samurai Warriors 5 scheduled for the summer, we shall see if they managed to also surpass both Level 5 and Sega. To me it seems that Age of Calaimity should have no problems surpassing 400K physical by the end of the summer with the future content. 

Imagineer should enter the chart sometime in the future knocking off Ubisoft with Fitness Boxing & Fitness Boxing 2

3rd Party Top 30 PS4

  1. Monster Hunter: World (Capcom) - 2.575.764
  2. Dragon Quest XI (Square Enix) - 1.368.698
  3. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix) - 1.042.951
  4. Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 949.379
  5. Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix) - 861.226
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (Take Two) - 729.174
  7. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne (Capcom) - 567.989
  8. NieR: Automata (Square Enix) - 504.605
  9. Metal Gear Solid V (Konami) - 448.554
  10. Resident Evil 2 (Capcom) - 418.236
  11. Dark Souls III (From Software) - 413.021
  12. Persona 5 (Atlus) - 405.455
  13. Yakuza 6 (Sega) - 367.965
  14. Resident Evil 7: biohazard (Capcom) - 365.896
  15. Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft) - 348.882
  16. Dragon Quest Heroes (Square Enix) - 329.934
  17. Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 (Square Enix) - 293.248
  18. Judgement (Sega) - 284.001
  19. Dragon Quest Heroes II (Square Enix) - 280.542
  20. Battlefield 1 (EA) - 275.924
  21. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software) - 273.492
  22. Resident Evil 3 (Capcom) - 269.187
  23. Yakuza 7 (Sega) - 263.255
  24. Pro Baseball Spirits 2019 (Konami) - 259.227
  25. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (Konami) - 255.850
  26. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 250.316
  27. Earth Defense Force 5 (D3 Publisher) - 244.159
  28. Persona 5: Royal (Atlus) - 244.050
  29. Red Dead Redemption II (Take Two) - 227.842
  30. Fallout 4 (Bethesda) - 227.749

TOTAL: 15.346.571

Top 10 Publishers:

  1. Square Enix - 5.880.899
  2. Capcom - 4.197.072
  3. Konami - 963.631
  4. Take Two - 957.016
  5. Sega - 915.221
  6. From Software - 686.513
  7. Atlus - 649.505
  8. Ubisoft - 348.882
  9. EA - 275.924
  10. D3 Publisher - 244.159

Seems that the Switch Top 30 should surpass the PS4 Top 30 in a couple of months thanks to Monster Hunter Rise

Last edited by noshten - on 03 April 2021

tbone51 said:

All games that hit 5mil+ (ship+digital)

NSW will have the most with a minimum 5 games lifetime.

01) 9.19mil: ACNH (NSW)
02) 8.22mil: PokeRB (GBC)
03) 7.17mil: PokeGS (GBC)
04) 6.81mil: SMB (FC)
05) 6.49mil: NSMB (DS)
06) 5.85mil: ACNL (3DS)
07) 5.85mil: PokeDP (DS)
08) 5.54mil: PokeBW (DS)
09) 5.40mil: PokeRS (GBA)
10) 5.35mil: ACWW (DS)
11) 5.30mil: MHP3 (PSP)
12) 5.19mil: PokeSwSh (NSW)
13) 5.17mil: SSBU (NSW)
14) 5.10mil: Brain Age 2 (DS)

*) 4.55mil: Splat2 (NSW)
*) 4.53mil: MK8D (NSW)

Bonus: super smash bros might surpass GS as the 3rd best selling game in japan

Wait wait, is AC:NH the best selling game of all time in Japan????



kopstudent89 said:
tbone51 said:

All games that hit 5mil+ (ship+digital)

NSW will have the most with a minimum 5 games lifetime.

01) 9.19mil: ACNH (NSW)
02) 8.22mil: PokeRB (GBC)
03) 7.17mil: PokeGS (GBC)
04) 6.81mil: SMB (FC)
05) 6.49mil: NSMB (DS)
06) 5.85mil: ACNL (3DS)
07) 5.85mil: PokeDP (DS)
08) 5.54mil: PokeBW (DS)
09) 5.40mil: PokeRS (GBA)
10) 5.35mil: ACWW (DS)
11) 5.30mil: MHP3 (PSP)
12) 5.19mil: PokeSwSh (NSW)
13) 5.17mil: SSBU (NSW)
14) 5.10mil: Brain Age 2 (DS)

*) 4.55mil: Splat2 (NSW)
*) 4.53mil: MK8D (NSW)

Bonus: super smash bros might surpass GS as the 3rd best selling game in japan

Wait wait, is AC:NH the best selling game of all time in Japan????

Yes it is. And it will be a huge gap to the next best selling game in the end.