By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 13, 2021 - (Mar 22 - Mar 28)

Great numbers for MHR, though I thought it'd do more than MHW, maybe Capcom undershipped it like others have said. Wish we had reliable digital numbers to campare. Anyway, MHR will most probably have better legs than MHW.

Excellent Switch sales as expected, and nice to see it stays above last year even if only by a little. Also, actually great numbers for the PS5.

Around the Network
deerox said:
kenjab said:

PS5 - 62,295

Seems like the PS5 is doing pretty well.

Looks like new shipments arrived. Xbox is also at over 1000, indicating that it too is still supply-limited in Japan.

Agente42 said:
xMetroid said:

Lower sale than expected for MHR, word of mouth will be good tho. I'm sure the digital ration is high
Switch did pretty great tho.

Hold on, PS5 did great this week damn finally.

you can't sell what you can't have

Yea i know, but i expected them to ship more than that.

Next week will probably have switch outselling the week last year. And MHR will probably have some great legs as well. But can someone tell me why people in Japan are buying ps5s? I'm happy for the PS4 but I can't remember any PS5 game selling well. Is it future-proofing or something?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Seems even Capcom underestimated Monster Hunter Rise, unless there were other factors limiting how many physical copies they could distribute.
How does this compare to the openings for other major Switch games in Japan, how many big first party titles did it beat?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Seems even Capcom underestimated Monster Hunter Rise, unless there were other factors limiting how many physical copies they could distribute.
How does this compare to the openings for other major Switch games in Japan, how many big first party titles did it beat?

Beat Smash, lost to Pokemon and AC. Nothing else sold >1m.

Animal Crossing: New HorizonsNintendo1,880,626
Pokemon Sword/ShieldPokemon Co.1,364,544
Monster Hunter RiseCapcom1,302,132
Super Smash Bros. UltimateNintendo1,238,358

267k is actually the range what Switch sold during holidays last year, so you can't complain... Pokémon Snap, Miitopia, Mario Golf and Skyward Sword should carry the Switch to a weekly bottom of 80-100k in Japan until July.

theDX said:
curl-6 said:

Beat Smash, lost to Pokemon and AC. Nothing else sold >1m.

Animal Crossing: New HorizonsNintendo1,880,626
Pokemon Sword/ShieldPokemon Co.1,364,544
Monster Hunter RiseCapcom1,302,132
Super Smash Bros. UltimateNintendo1,238,358

Nice, so it's the third biggest opening for any Switch game in Japan so far, and very close to #2.

Seeing a third party game open bigger than the likes of Splatoon 2 or Smash is really something.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Seems that Capcom “under shipped” physical copies so people had to buy the digital copy and they can make more profit.

Clever Capcom.

And MHR did similar numbers compared to MHW, interesting.

Eagle367 said:

Next week will probably have switch outselling the week last year. And MHR will probably have some great legs as well. But can someone tell me why people in Japan are buying ps5s? I'm happy for the PS4 but I can't remember any PS5 game selling well. Is it future-proofing or something?

People are buying and playing games for sure. But when the 800 GB SSD is empty, I think digital is encouraged. I mean look at MH Rise, Switch has tiny HD space but even it had a high digital rate. I can imagine most early adopters also have a backlog of PS4 games.