By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

Marth said:
S.Peelman said:

Doesn’t really matter to me in this case, it’s an adventure game, not a racing game or a fighting game. A game like this is fine in 30fps because it’s slow enough. Sure, higher is better if you can but if you have to choose then in this case I’d pick an increase in graphics and effects and lighting. Skyward Sword looked fine for a Wii game, but even on that console it wasn’t the best. It’s kind of flat now. They brought Wind Waker into a more modern age but they didn’t do that for Twilight Princess and don’t seem to be doing it for Skyward Sword.

Hiku said:

They implemented an option for standard controls as well.

They had to because otherwise it doesn’t work for a lot of people. Besides, the way they did it seems to destroy a lot of the finesse the motion control has when you use that. In my mind, I thought they would make it so that Link’s sword would mimic your motion of the control stick if they’d ever make a controller operated version; like if you’d slowly rotate the stick Link would slowly move his sword in a circle. But it doesn’t really seem like that’s the case. It looks like he just stabs when pushing it down and slashes at a perfect 45 degree angle when you push the stick diagonally. Now I could be wrong about this, because we haven’t seen how it works when you have to solve one of the eye puzzles.

Anyway having said all that, obviously I’ll buy it day one. It’s a mainline Zelda game and therefore good; it’s still on my honourable mentions in my Top 50 list after all.

60 fps does help Skyward Sword to be more responsive to the motion controls. And Switch has no problems getting to that performance.

The contrast is that Wind Waker mostly just popped with some modern shaders added. Gamecube did not support that. Those shaders already exist for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword which is why they look largely the same but with a much higher resolution.

The Gamecube had shaders.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The game looks so dated, wish they would've done a full remake instead. Oh well

Agente42 said:
mZuzek said:

Skyward Sword came out in celebration of Zelda's 25th anniversary to begin with. It's the best game in the series, so it's fitting for it to also celebrate the 35th, and it deserves this remaster in its 10th anniversary too.

Disagree. The worst Zelda ever, sales are awful (and have Wii sales potential), is not critical acclaimed ( Zelda ooT and Botw are the mvps here's), its not revolutionary ( first Zelda, Zelda OoT and BotW). Don't have the true overwold( the core of franchise), Aonuma, in the early stages trys to remove link sword( you can research this). 

A Zelda I and Zelda II remake was glorious. 

Launched at the end of the system, which diminishes sales potential. Second Zelda games pretty much always sell worse, see Majora's Mask, Spirit Tracks. Also required the Wiimotion plus add on. More importantly, sales have no direct correlation to quality. I'm sure you could think of great games that bombed and shitty games that sold well. 

It has a metacritic score of 93. It was definitely critically acclaimed.

Don't care that it has no true overworld. Series conventions can be changed. Has the best dungeons and boss fights in the franchise IMO which offsets that. 

I don't know why on Earth it matters that Aonuma thought to remove the sword. Link does in fact have a sword. It's in the game's title. The gameplay is built around it.

Awesome game. Even if we agree for argument's sake that Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are better, those already have HD versions, so no need not to give this one that treatment. 

S.Peelman said:

I kind of thought I was looking at regular Wii footage and expected to see like a transition to a much cleaner image, but then I realized that this was already it. Bit of a bummer, it’s like Twilight Princess; looks the same but with higher resolution. At least with Wind Waker they improved all kinds of things, most notably of course the lighting.

Twilight Princess HD had a lot of retexturing as well, which helped improve the overall look. Skyward Sword looks more of a straight up up-res, though I guess that helped let them increase the FPS to 60. 

We were always going to get Skyward Sword HD, so that's a no brainer. Wonder whether they're holding back on Windwaker/Twlight Princess til autumn or whether they're afraid to oversaturate the Zelda name before BOTW2 (presumably next fall)

Around the Network

https://youtu.be/BXtiucxcdPA

Side by side comparison between the Wii and NS versions.

Basically the Switch version cleans up the “fuzziness” that the Wii version had and looks a lot clearer. Basically the Dolphin emulator, nothing to right home about.

The REAL eye-popper of the video is the 2nd half shows you the difference between 30 (Wii) and 60 (NS) fps. And WOW, talk about an improvement... It’s definitely going to be hard to go back to the original Wii version after playing this on the Switch.

PAOerfulone said:

Basically the Switch version cleans up the “fuzziness” that the Wii version had and looks a lot clearer. Basically the Dolphin emulator, nothing to right home about.

The REAL eye-popper of the video is the 2nd half shows you the difference between 30 (Wii) and 60 (NS) fps. And WOW, talk about an improvement... It’s definitely going to be hard to go back to the original Wii version after playing this on the Switch.

Does Dolphin not improve frame rates?

Most people wanted ports or remakes of 3D Zelda for the anniversary. We might still get that, in fact I think we will. I remember when Nintendo devs years ago said they had no plans to bring Skyward Sword to the Switch, largely because of the controls.
I could see Nintendo porting Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD from the Wii U. As for the N64 Zeldas, I think we would get ports of those. I don't think Nintendo would remake them already for a second time, but stranger things have happened.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

JWeinCom said:
PAOerfulone said:

Not that I’m aware of.

PAOerfulone said:
JWeinCom said:

Not that I’m aware of.

Weird. Seems like that's something emulators should be able to do. But I'm tech illiterate, so what do I know.