By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

mZuzek said:
Louie said:

That part of the announcement was so silly, it looked like Aonuma was trying to make excuses for why the game is the way it is. It is as opposite to Breath of the Wild as is gets.

Funny enough that those two are my top two favorite Zelda games.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with Skyward Sword or more linear Zelda experiences, even though I like open world Zelda more. Both things can be great! But the market clearly favors BotW style Zelda, so talking directly (*hand gesture*) to BotW fans was a bit weird. I still have war flashbacks from the time when Nintendo so desperately tried to push 3D Mario down 2D Mario fans' throats: "Oh, 30 million of you lot liked those 2D Mario games? Well, we'll include an instruction DVD for dumb people in the Mario Galaxy 2 package and give that game flagpoles and a level select screen! Now, buy it! What, you still didn't like that? Here's Mario 3D Land and World!" It only took them the better part of a decade to realize there's nothing wrong with making a proper 3D open world game (even though I still want an actual "new" Super Mario Bros game. And again, nothing wrong with 3D World! I bought the Switch port day 1).

Around the Network
Louie said:

I'm happy for the people who are hyped for this game, enjoy it! That being said, I was so hoping for BotW 2 infos or OoT/MM/WW/TP news when Aonuma appeared.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to directly speak to the people who liked and jumped in with BotW and tell them they'll like Skyward Sword because of things like the stamina meter lol. Sure, some BotW mechanics were introduced in Skyward Sword - but in terms of world building and progression Skyward Sword is the polar opposite of Breath of the Wild. "So, you liked our open world game that gives you more freedom than any title ever before, which you love because you can explore it at your own pace? Well, try out the most linear Zelda game ever with a focus on puzzles that only have one solution, because it also has the stamina meter!"...

I'm not saying Skyward Sword is a bad game, but to specifically talk to the people who like Breath of the Wild and are probably new to the series? They are going to be rather disappointed if they come in with the wrong expectations.

He starts that section by saying it was the last Zelda to still use the old conventions. He warns people right there that it is not like Breath of the Wild. The translation mentions it gives a glimpse into features and innovations that made it into BotW, key words being "gives a glimpse". They even give specific examples like climbing on vines instead of just climbing and he's catching a butterfly with a net so you can see it's different. At no point do they try to imply that there is a vast world to freely explore.

They specifically ask people to try out the game even though it is different, yet you somehow interpret that the complete opposite way.

anonymunchy said:
Louie said:

He starts that section by saying it was the last Zelda to still use the old conventions. He warns people right there that it is not like Breath of the Wild. The translation mentions it gives a glimpse into features and innovations that made it into BotW, key words being "gives a glimpse". They even give specific examples like climbing on vines instead of just climbing and he's catching a butterfly with a net so you can see it's different. At no point do they try to imply that there is a vast world to freely explore.

They specifically ask people to try out the game even though it is different, yet you somehow interpret that the complete opposite way.

And I never said anything to the contrary. I took issue with the fact that they tried to build a connection between BotW and Skyward Sword by showing things that are similar even though they know (and said) the games are not.

I understood what they said just fine, I just happen to have a different opinion to you and didn't like the way they tried to make BotW fans interested in the game as Nintendo has a very long history with trying to do these things (see my post about 2D and 3D Mario). 

"Buy our port folks! It's not THAT different from Breath of the Wild, you see?"

One of the best Zelda games, Nice!

Around the Network

This is probably my favorite Zelda game of all time. Impressionist art style, my favorite "hub" being Skyloft, and the best story of any Zelda game make for a fantastic combination. With actually good motion controls it stood out even further. What a fantastic game!

That being said, I don't need to rebuy it just to have a resolution/fps bump. Just like I didn't need TPHD. I did do WWHD because I hadn't played the original much. Glad this is available for the many that didn't experience it in Wii's final moments.

Can finally play Skyward Sword HD full playthrough with traditional control scheme way too seriously this time because i couldn't even get into first dungeon thanks to the Wii motion control exclusive it caused me tiresome for holding nuchuk + Wiimote all time Sigh.

Man, back in the day i've gotten too many angry people for voicing my negative thought on original Wii version Skyward Sword. I mean for real, Zelda Skyward Sword could potentially my favorite Zelda game of all time but didn't happen. What should i say? *waves out and facepalm*

Ironically, i did want Skyward Sword HD remastered for the Wii U since Nintendo published The Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD, but hey. Worth the wait! xD

Speaking of which, The Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD for the Switch...PROBABLY will come in a couple months according to the rumor, who knows or i think it's been leaked as a shareholder a while go.

Anyway... I'm getting Skyward Sword HD this summer, since i no longer have Wii/Wii U games collection, i'm tired of those mandatory consoles.

Skyward Sword is great and deserves more recognition. It's one of my absolute favorite games ever.

Hiku said:

This is going to be $300 published by bots and scalpers.

saying this for years now but if idiots stopped buying from scalpers they would stop scalping but you got that circular argument of "but I gotz to buy from them because they bought all the playstations!!!" aye... of course they bought them all, because idiots fund them by buying all their previously scalped stuff, each time anyone pays a scalper they do more damage than the scalper could without that happening, if a scalper has 400 and buys a ps5 with it to try and sell it for 800 at the point a scalper buys that from them, then the scalper returns to bot purchase 2 more ps5's to sell on... morons need to control themselves and stop buying from scalpers.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

S.Peelman said:

They had to because otherwise it doesn’t work for a lot of people, both Lite owners as well as those that primarily use the handheld mode, like me. Besides, the way they did it seems to destroy a lot of the finesse the motion control has when you use that. In my mind, I thought they would make it so that Link’s sword would mimic your motion of the control stick if they’d ever make a controller operated version; like if you’d slowly rotate the stick Link would slowly move his sword in a circle. But it doesn’t really seem like that’s the case. It looks like he just stabs when pushing it down and slashes at a perfect 45 degree angle when you push the stick diagonally. Now I could be wrong about this, because we haven’t seen how it works when you have to solve one of the eye puzzles.

Anyway having said all that, obviously I’ll buy it day one. It’s a mainline Zelda game and therefore good; it’s still on my honourable mentions in my Top 50 list after all.

Whatever pushed them to do so, I'm glad they did.

But I'm guessing they could have technically used the internal Gyro in Switch Lite to have the player tilt the console to determine the directions? Although that doesn't sound like a comfortable way to play.

But my point was more about the fact that for whatever reason, at least some work did go into this one. Unlike the Mario 64 port, etc.

Ganoncrotch said:
Hiku said:

This is going to be $300 published by bots and scalpers.

saying this for years now but if idiots stopped buying from scalpers they would stop scalping but you got that circular argument of "but I gotz to buy from them because they bought all the playstations!!!" aye... of course they bought them all, because idiots fund them by buying all their previously scalped stuff, each time anyone pays a scalper they do more damage than the scalper could without that happening, if a scalper has 400 and buys a ps5 with it to try and sell it for 800 at the point a scalper buys that from them, then the scalper returns to bot purchase 2 more ps5's to sell on... morons need to control themselves and stop buying from scalpers.

Even if people know that, it probably doesn't solve the problem because there are enough of them willing to purchase, for whatever reason. Some have the extra disposable income and don't care. Others figure this is the only, or one of few, items they'll ever buy that's being scalped, etc.
That leaves everyone else, who realize they'll contribute to the problem, but have no other choice if they want to get it before someone else buys it.

You saw what happened with toilet paper last year.
Because of idiots, I didn't have a choice but to buy a whole bunch when I got the chance, or risk being without when I need them.

Last edited by Hiku - on 18 February 2021