By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

One of the best Zelda games, Nice!

Around the Network

This is probably my favorite Zelda game of all time. Impressionist art style, my favorite "hub" being Skyloft, and the best story of any Zelda game make for a fantastic combination. With actually good motion controls it stood out even further. What a fantastic game!

That being said, I don't need to rebuy it just to have a resolution/fps bump. Just like I didn't need TPHD. I did do WWHD because I hadn't played the original much. Glad this is available for the many that didn't experience it in Wii's final moments.

Can finally play Skyward Sword HD full playthrough with traditional control scheme way too seriously this time because i couldn't even get into first dungeon thanks to the Wii motion control exclusive it caused me tiresome for holding nuchuk + Wiimote all time Sigh.

Man, back in the day i've gotten too many angry people for voicing my negative thought on original Wii version Skyward Sword. I mean for real, Zelda Skyward Sword could potentially my favorite Zelda game of all time but didn't happen. What should i say? *waves out and facepalm*

Ironically, i did want Skyward Sword HD remastered for the Wii U since Nintendo published The Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD, but hey. Worth the wait! xD

Speaking of which, The Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD for the Switch...PROBABLY will come in a couple months according to the rumor, who knows or i think it's been leaked as a shareholder a while go.

Anyway... I'm getting Skyward Sword HD this summer, since i no longer have Wii/Wii U games collection, i'm tired of those mandatory consoles.

Skyward Sword is great and deserves more recognition. It's one of my absolute favorite games ever.

Hiku said:

This is going to be $300 published by bots and scalpers.

saying this for years now but if idiots stopped buying from scalpers they would stop scalping but you got that circular argument of "but I gotz to buy from them because they bought all the playstations!!!" aye... of course they bought them all, because idiots fund them by buying all their previously scalped stuff, each time anyone pays a scalper they do more damage than the scalper could without that happening, if a scalper has 400 and buys a ps5 with it to try and sell it for 800 at the point a scalper buys that from them, then the scalper returns to bot purchase 2 more ps5's to sell on... morons need to control themselves and stop buying from scalpers.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Marth said:
S.Peelman said:

Doesn’t really matter to me in this case, it’s an adventure game, not a racing game or a fighting game. A game like this is fine in 30fps because it’s slow enough. Sure, higher is better if you can but if you have to choose then in this case I’d pick an increase in graphics and effects and lighting. Skyward Sword looked fine for a Wii game, but even on that console it wasn’t the best. It’s kind of flat now. They brought Wind Waker into a more modern age but they didn’t do that for Twilight Princess and don’t seem to be doing it for Skyward Sword.

(..)

They had to because otherwise it doesn’t work for a lot of people. Besides, the way they did it seems to destroy a lot of the finesse the motion control has when you use that. In my mind, I thought they would make it so that Link’s sword would mimic your motion of the control stick if they’d ever make a controller operated version; like if you’d slowly rotate the stick Link would slowly move his sword in a circle. But it doesn’t really seem like that’s the case. It looks like he just stabs when pushing it down and slashes at a perfect 45 degree angle when you push the stick diagonally. Now I could be wrong about this, because we haven’t seen how it works when you have to solve one of the eye puzzles.

Anyway having said all that, obviously I’ll buy it day one. It’s a mainline Zelda game and therefore good; it’s still on my honourable mentions in my Top 50 list after all.

60 fps does help Skyward Sword to be more responsive to the motion controls. And Switch has no problems getting to that performance.

The contrast is that Wind Waker mostly just popped with some modern shaders added. Gamecube did not support that. Those shaders already exist for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword which is why they look largely the same but with a much higher resolution.

Twilight Princess is also a Gamecube game though, and it uses Wind Waker's engine, but that's beside the point; the point is that with Wind Waker HD they actually did do something to modernise its look. I agree that upping performance is always good, I mean, why not, but it's a bit of a letdown that they wouldn't give the rest of the game some love. Continuing;

mZuzek said:

Ehh...

60fps is not necessary for a Zelda game, I agree with you on that, but it makes the game look a lot nicer. Having built a good PC recently, I've grown quite tired of playing games at 30fps whenever I go back to consoles, it just feels like a thing of the past to me. And sure, you could say Skyward Sword's graphics look like a thing from the past, but like... I can go back to older games and I don't mind outdated graphics, at least not as long as the art direction is good. But I do mind, say, having to play old games at a 4:3 aspect ratio. And to me, 30fps is slowly entering that same territory, where it just makes games feel old.

It does feel lazy from their part, I suppose. Not even the textures look upscaled, never mind the blocky models and basic lighting. Given enough effort, I don't think they'd even need to sacrifice 60fps for a graphical overhaul, but, it is what it is. To me, 60fps is a massive upgrade on its own.

Yeah, I'll be the last one to complain about graphics on for example an N64 game if I would play one right now, if I'm playing it on N64. For a rerelease though I think it'd be nice to see some kind of progress; there's always something you can do to get a game's appearance to be closer to the original vision or tweak some stuff with some more modern tech. There's a lot of shades between just upping the resolution and doing a FFVII style remake. Or even between upping the resolution and a OoT3D style remake. WWHD was one of those shades.

So that comes back to the first thing, if for this game and these kinds of games they had to choose between fps or graphical fidelity (which indeed I don't really believe, Switch is plenty powerful enough), I personally would have picked graphical fidelity. If they didn't have to but just chose to not do anything about the graphics, to, I don't know, stay as true to the original as possible regardless or something, then I guess I just don't agree much with Nintendo's line of thinking on that part.

So long story short, what they did with fps and controls is good, but they could've done more.

Are we ever going to get some kind of remake of the NES/SNES Zelda games?
This announcement is a big disappointment to me. Why not give us glorified versions of the games that actually made this franchise the powerhouse that it is? It is the 35th anniversary. Skyward Sword is a very bad Zelda game. We deserve better.

mZuzek said:
Valdney said:

Are we ever going to get some kind of remake of the NES/SNES Zelda games?
This announcement is a big disappointment to me. Why not give us glorified versions of the games that actually made this franchise the powerhouse that it is? It is the 35th anniversary. Skyward Sword is a very bad Zelda game. We deserve better.

Skyward Sword came out in celebration of Zelda's 25th anniversary to begin with. It's the best game in the series, so it's fitting for it to also celebrate the 35th, and it deserves this remaster in its 10th anniversary too.

Disagree. The worst Zelda ever, sales are awful (and have Wii sales potential), is not critical acclaimed ( Zelda ooT and Botw are the mvps here's), its not revolutionary ( first Zelda, Zelda OoT and BotW). Don't have the true overwold( the core of franchise), Aonuma, in the early stages trys to remove link sword( you can research this). 

A Zelda I and Zelda II remake was glorious. 

Louie said:
mZuzek said:

That part of the announcement was so silly, it looked like Aonuma was trying to make excuses for why the game is the way it is. It is as opposite to Breath of the Wild as is gets.

Funny enough that those two are my top two favorite Zelda games.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with Skyward Sword or more linear Zelda experiences, even though I like open world Zelda more. Both things can be great! But the market clearly favors BotW style Zelda, so talking directly (*hand gesture*) to BotW fans was a bit weird. I still have war flashbacks from the time when Nintendo so desperately tried to push 3D Mario down 2D Mario fans' throats: "Oh, 30 million of you lot liked those 2D Mario games? Well, we'll include an instruction DVD for dumb people in the Mario Galaxy 2 package and give that game flagpoles and a level select screen! Now, buy it! What, you still didn't like that? Here's Mario 3D Land and World!" It only took them the better part of a decade to realize there's nothing wrong with making a proper 3D open world game (even though I still want an actual "new" Super Mario Bros game. And again, nothing wrong with 3D World! I bought the Switch port day 1).

You can have the two.

But the open-world( or archaic openworld) Zelda need to have more budget than Aonuma Style Zelda, because tends sell better.

And new AAA 2d Mario sells better than 3d mario. 

But Nintendo wants you to play Aonuma style Zelda and 3d Mario, and more invested in this side. 

The nerve of charging $60 for this emulated "port". They could save themselves the embarrassment by making a "origins" bundle with SS, OoT and MM, the first three games in the timeline. I mean, I know people will buy this game and all hapiness to them, but this should be unacceptable.