By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

JWeinCom said:
PAOerfulone said:

Not that I’m aware of.

Weird. Seems like that's something emulators should be able to do. But I'm tech illiterate, so what do I know.

A quick search tells that improving (or rather, doubling) the frame rate requires extra tweaks in each individual game, but there are others that can be improved just by changing a few settings, like in the Pikmin titles. So it seems to vary. The real deal to me is the elimination of jaggies. The game will now look earth-shatteringly gorgeous this time, like it should have in 2011, unless you had a small screen. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Definitely not the best thing in the Direct for me, but it has me tempted to double dip.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Agente42 said:
mZuzek said:

Skyward Sword came out in celebration of Zelda's 25th anniversary to begin with. It's the best game in the series, so it's fitting for it to also celebrate the 35th, and it deserves this remaster in its 10th anniversary too.

Disagree. The worst Zelda ever, sales are awful (and have Wii sales potential), is not critical acclaimed ( Zelda ooT and Botw are the mvps here's), its not revolutionary ( first Zelda, Zelda OoT and BotW). Don't have the true overwold( the core of franchise), Aonuma, in the early stages trys to remove link sword( you can research this). 

A Zelda I and Zelda II remake was glorious. 

Its sales were entirely expected.  Every single Zelda game that was the second to come out on a console has sold worse than the first.  And by that point the Wii was starting to enter a downswing.  It came out almost exactly 5 years after the release of the Wii.  Let's not act like this game came out in 2007-2009.  It was the best selling Wii game released in 2011, and nothing that released after it sold more.

It has a 93 on Metacritic.  Come on.  On your other point, not every game has to be revolutionary to be a good game.  My favorite 3D Zelda is Majora's Mask, and that was put together with a bunch of reused assets and engine from Ocarina of Time.

I see that argument about the overworld all the time.  Faron Woods is part of the overworld.  Eldin Volcano is part of the overworld.  Lanayru Desert is part of the overworld.  Not just the Sky is the overworld.  Basically everything not in a dungeon is part of the overworld.  In this game, the overworld is just setup as more of a hazard and a maze to the player, much like it is in the 2D Zelda games.  It is no longer mostly a big field (or sea) like in the previous 3D Zeldas.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Skyward Sword has some of the very best dungeon design in the series in my opinion; ones like Ancient Cistern, the Sandship, and the final one are masterclasses in clever and imaginative level design, and not one of them feels like a dud. The areas outside the dungeons are also more tightly constructed than previous game which leaned towards large open areas without much in them.

Throw awesome motion-powered combat and it's a great game overall even if it occasionally missteps. I personally would've preferred they sell it on a proper Virtual Console at a reduced price but at least it won't be undeservedly left to the dustbin of history.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 February 2021

Valdney said:

Are we ever going to get some kind of remake of the NES/SNES Zelda games?
This announcement is a big disappointment to me. Why not give us glorified versions of the games that actually made this franchise the powerhouse that it is? It is the 35th anniversary. Skyward Sword is a very bad Zelda game. We deserve better.

Skyward Sword is not bad. It's a great game and doesn't deserve to be bashed like this.

How can you play a game that good and in all seriousness think it's bad? Like how is this even possible? I don't get it. It baffles me. Seriously, there is not a single game that got generally good or great reception that I consider bad. Most people like it and find it at least good, so it is good. Otherwise most people wouldn't like it. It's just illogical to believe a so highly polished game with so good level design, enemy variety and design, so well written characters and dialogue, such a well structured and well written story as well as so creative and inventive items and puzzles and so many ideas with, if you like motion controls, sometimes annoying but mostly extremely fun combat and so much detail in the beautiful environments with such a great artstyle.

Skyward Sword can be just not your thing. I for example didn't really like the first Little Nightmares, but I still see a really good game there, because it shows quality in it's mechanics, atmosphere and level design.

But to ligitimately think that Skyward Sword is a bad game, as if it was unplayable, had bad writing, boring and uninspired invironments and dungeons. No, that's not the case. That's why it got 93 on Metacritic, because most people think it's really good.

Same with Super Mario Sunshine. Some people hate it just because it's so different from SM64 or because they don't like fludd. But it's still a great game (92 on Metacritic btw). Phantom Hourglass also constantly gets hate for one aspect, the Temple of the Oceanking. But that doesn't change that it's generally a very good game (90 on Metacritic).

Point is, your way of thinking is so outlandish for me, that I can't understand it at all. You could start claiming microtransactions are consumer friendly and I would understand that standpoint better.

Also to say "we deserve better", is very entitled. The anouncement made me happy and it's exactly what I wanted. If I hadn't gotten what I wanted I wouldn't go and start claiming that what we are getting is bad and nobody wants it because I don't want it.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 18 February 2021

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
mZuzek said:

Skyward Sword came out in celebration of Zelda's 25th anniversary to begin with. It's the best game in the series, so it's fitting for it to also celebrate the 35th, and it deserves this remaster in its 10th anniversary too.

Disagree. The worst Zelda ever, sales are awful (and have Wii sales potential), is not critical acclaimed ( Zelda ooT and Botw are the mvps here's), its not revolutionary ( first Zelda, Zelda OoT and BotW). Don't have the true overwold( the core of franchise), Aonuma, in the early stages trys to remove link sword( you can research this). 

A game that gets over 90 on Metacritic is critically acclaimed. Fact!

theRepublic said:
Agente42 said:

Its sales were entirely expected.  Every single Zelda game that was the second to come out on a console has sold worse than the first.  And by that point the Wii was starting to enter a downswing.  It came out almost exactly 5 years after the release of the Wii.  Let's not act like this game came out in 2007-2009.  It was the best selling Wii game released in 2011, and nothing that released after it sold more.

It has a 93 on Metacritic.  Come on.  On your other point, not every game has to be revolutionary to be a good game.  My favorite 3D Zelda is Majora's Mask, and that was put together with a bunch of reused assets and engine from Ocarina of Time.

I see that argument about the overworld all the time.  Faron Woods is part of the overworld.  Eldin Volcano is part of the overworld.  Lanayru Desert is part of the overworld.  Not just the Sky is the overworld.  Basically everything not in a dungeon is part of the overworld.  In this game, the overworld is just setup as more of a hazard and a maze to the player, much like it is in the 2D Zelda games.  It is no longer mostly a big field (or sea) like in the previous 3D Zeldas.

The downsized is because of bad games, likewise Metroid Other M and Zelda. First. Mario and DK, 2009 and 2010 sell well. The first argument is wrong. Other M is a bad game and Zelda is weak Zelda game( no overworld).

Linear and not like 2d zelda( not like Zelda i, ii and the the link to the past)

And on Wii and sell badly. 

Kakadu18 said:
Agente42 said:

A game that gets over 90 on Metacritic is critically acclaimed. Fact!

The game is a gold standard, and critics have care to evaluate the game. Is not a fact if the gold standard is between 95-99

It was the motion controls that put me off this game, and I'm a person who absolutely adored the Wii, it's motion controls, and the generation as a whole. The game design overstepped the technology, and perhaps motion to that degree of precision just isn't as fun as it sounds on paper.

But I'd like to hear how it works on Switch, although it's doubtful I'll play this one, as I'm kind of done with the older 3D Zelda style games and their 47-hour-long dungeons (hyperbole, but you get what I mean).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm curious about the size. The game weighs 7.5 GB... While the original was around 4.26 GB. What did they do to increase the file size by almost 80%? They clearly didn't put better textures or anything like that,... Maybe there's more to this version than we think? More content in some way? A rearranged soundtrack?

Or maybe Nintendo just lost its touch with their game size magic xD

Anyway, I'm super excited about this game. Skyward Sword is easily one of my favourite Zelda games and I can't wait to experience it again with crisp HD visuals, smooth 60fps, improved motion controls, portable mode and most likely many tweaks and changes that improce the original experience.