By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced For Switch

Tagged games:

Jumpin said:

It was the motion controls that put me off this game, and I'm a person who absolutely adored the Wii, it's motion controls, and the generation as a whole. The game design overstepped the technology, and perhaps motion to that degree of precision just isn't as fun as it sounds on paper.

But I'd like to hear how it works on Switch, although it's doubtful I'll play this one, as I'm kind of done with the older 3D Zelda style games and their 47-hour-long dungeons (hyperbole, but you get what I mean).

Agreed. motion control with arcade precision is good enough 

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

I'm curious about the size. The game weighs 7.5 GB... While the original was around 4.26 GB. What did they do to increase the file size by almost 80%? They clearly didn't put better textures or anything like that,... Maybe there's more to this version than we think? More content in some way? A rearranged soundtrack?

Or maybe Nintendo just lost its touch with their game size magic xD

Anyway, I'm super excited about this game. Skyward Sword is easily one of my favourite Zelda games and I can't wait to experience it again with crisp HD visuals, smooth 60fps, improved motion controls, portable mode and most likely many tweaks and changes that improce the original experience.

Probably the uncompressed versions of the soundtrack and the textures.

I’d like to be surprised with more content though. Extra dungeon is always nice. But that’s not really a realistic expectation.

Back from September 2020, my second playthrough (original was some 7 or so years ago):

"Such a lovely and underappreciated game. Yes, it does have too much hand holding. Yes, it is too linear. Yes, it reuses same regions again and again.
Some will argue it has too many puzzles - as someone who actually likes puzzles, I say it has too little exploration for proper balance, just like most Aonuma Zeldas.
But important part for me is that it has "lock and key" as primary mechanism...whether it is actual lock and key, rock and bomb, or distant ledge and hook.
I can see myself replaying it again in 5-6 years."

Happy to see they've implemented motionless controls - my first playthrough started on Dolphin with Xbox controller, it was fairly straightforward control-wise, but I got stuck when I had to draw on the wall...eventually, since my kids were playing on Wii, I abandoned my playthrough on Dolphin and continued on Wii as well - didn't like motion controls due to how imprecise Wiimote is, but it was not a major problem.

S.Peelman said:
Vodacixi said:

I'm curious about the size. The game weighs 7.5 GB... While the original was around 4.26 GB. What did they do to increase the file size by almost 80%? They clearly didn't put better textures or anything like that,... Maybe there's more to this version than we think? More content in some way? A rearranged soundtrack?

Or maybe Nintendo just lost its touch with their game size magic xD

Anyway, I'm super excited about this game. Skyward Sword is easily one of my favourite Zelda games and I can't wait to experience it again with crisp HD visuals, smooth 60fps, improved motion controls, portable mode and most likely many tweaks and changes that improce the original experience.

I’d like to be surprised with more content though. Extra dungeon is always nice. But that’s not really a realistic expectation.

Seeing how size tends to decrease or stay close to the original when Nintendo ports their games to other systems... I wouldn't be so sure. It may be what you are saying, but I will wait a few months until we get more info. After all, when they announced WW HD and TP HD they didn't reveal the vast majority of improvements and tweaks. I don't think what we just saw in this trailer is everything there is in Skyward Sword HD...

Vodacixi said:
S.Peelman said:

Seeing how size tends to decrease or stay close to the original when Nintendo ports their games to other systems... I wouldn't be so sure. It may be what you are saying, but I will wait a few months until we get more info. After all, when they announced WW HD and TP HD they didn't reveal the vast majority of improvements and tweaks. I don't think what we just saw in this trailer is everything there is in Skyward Sword HD...

Maybe, I'm also just speculating, we'll see what happens.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Valdney said:

Are we ever going to get some kind of remake of the NES/SNES Zelda games?
This announcement is a big disappointment to me. Why not give us glorified versions of the games that actually made this franchise the powerhouse that it is? It is the 35th anniversary. Skyward Sword is a very bad Zelda game. We deserve better.

Skyward Sword is not bad. It's a great game and doesn't deserve to be bashed like this.

How can you play a game that good and in all seriousness think it's bad? Like how is this even possible? I don't get it. It baffles me. Seriously, there is not a single game that got generally good or great reception that I consider bad. Most people like it and find it at least good, so it is good. Otherwise most people wouldn't like it. It's just illogical to believe a so highly polished game with so good level design, enemy variety and design, so well written characters and dialogue, such a well structured and well written story as well as so creative and inventive items and puzzles and so many ideas with, if you like motion controls, sometimes annoying but mostly extremely fun combat and so much detail in the beautiful environments with such a great artstyle.

Skyward Sword can be just not your thing. I for example didn't really like the first Little Nightmares, but I still see a really good game there, because it shows quality in it's mechanics, atmosphere and level design.

But to ligitimately think that Skyward Sword is a bad game, as if it was unplayable, had bad writing, boring and uninspired invironments and dungeons. No, that's not the case. That's why it got 93 on Metacritic, because most people think it's really good.

Same with Super Mario Sunshine. Some people hate it just because it's so different from SM64 or because they don't like fludd. But it's still a great game (92 on Metacritic btw). Phantom Hourglass also constantly gets hate for one aspect, the Temple of the Oceanking. But that doesn't change that it's generally a very good game (90 on Metacritic).

Point is, your way of thinking is so outlandish for me, that I can't understand it at all. You could start claiming microtransactions are consumer friendly and I would understand that standpoint better.

Also to say "we deserve better", is very entitled. The anouncement made me happy and it's exactly what I wanted. If I hadn't gotten what I wanted I wouldn't go and start claiming that what we are getting is bad and nobody wants it because I don't want it.

Actually I don't just deserve better, I deserve much better. Do you know why? Because It was people like me that came out in  droves to buy Breath of the Wild and a brand new System, day one, once we found out the game would finally go back to its roots and, we made it the best SELLING   Zelda game of all time by far, with a very good chance to beat the sales of all other 3D Zeldas combined. 

You have all the right in the world to like Skyward Sword, but to a very big chunk of the people who bought and loved Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword is an aberration of a Zelda game.

Correction made. Lol. I meant to say, “we made it the best SELLING  Zelda of all time”.  Of course I didn’t make it the best Zelda game, Nintendo did.  Lol!  

Last edited by Valdney - on 19 February 2021

Skyward Sword is a terrific game. I will not be buying this port.

That is all.

Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Skyward Sword is not bad. It's a great game and doesn't deserve to be bashed like this.

How can you play a game that good and in all seriousness think it's bad? Like how is this even possible? I don't get it. It baffles me. Seriously, there is not a single game that got generally good or great reception that I consider bad. Most people like it and find it at least good, so it is good. Otherwise most people wouldn't like it. It's just illogical to believe a so highly polished game with so good level design, enemy variety and design, so well written characters and dialogue, such a well structured and well written story as well as so creative and inventive items and puzzles and so many ideas with, if you like motion controls, sometimes annoying but mostly extremely fun combat and so much detail in the beautiful environments with such a great artstyle.

Skyward Sword can be just not your thing. I for example didn't really like the first Little Nightmares, but I still see a really good game there, because it shows quality in it's mechanics, atmosphere and level design.

But to ligitimately think that Skyward Sword is a bad game, as if it was unplayable, had bad writing, boring and uninspired invironments and dungeons. No, that's not the case. That's why it got 93 on Metacritic, because most people think it's really good.

Same with Super Mario Sunshine. Some people hate it just because it's so different from SM64 or because they don't like fludd. But it's still a great game (92 on Metacritic btw). Phantom Hourglass also constantly gets hate for one aspect, the Temple of the Oceanking. But that doesn't change that it's generally a very good game (90 on Metacritic).

Point is, your way of thinking is so outlandish for me, that I can't understand it at all. You could start claiming microtransactions are consumer friendly and I would understand that standpoint better.

Also to say "we deserve better", is very entitled. The anouncement made me happy and it's exactly what I wanted. If I hadn't gotten what I wanted I wouldn't go and start claiming that what we are getting is bad and nobody wants it because I don't want it.

Actually I don't just deserve better, I deserve much better. Do you know why? Because It was people like me that came out in  droves to buy Breath of the Wild and a brand new System, day one, once we found out the game would finally go back to its roots and, we made it the best Zelda game of all time by far, with a very good chance to beat the sales of all other 3D Zeldas combined

Is this an out of season April fools joke? 

Some people act as if SS killed their pet or something, it's weird

Valdney said:
Kakadu18 said:

Actually I don't just deserve better, I deserve much better. Do you know why? Because It was people like me that came out in  droves to buy Breath of the Wild and a brand new System, day one, once we found out the game would finally go back to its roots and, we made it the best Zelda game of all time by far, with a very good chance to beat the sales of all other 3D Zeldas combined. 

You have all the right in the world to like Skyward Sword, but to a very big chunk of the people who bought and loved Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword is an aberration of a Zelda game.

Now you sound even more entitled. It's hilarious how you think you helped save the franchise or something and therefore getting SSHD is an insult or something. LMAO. I consider Breath of the Wild to be the best Zelda game btw.

Also btw to sell more than all other Zelda games combined BotW would need to over 90 million copies.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 19 February 2021