By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever feel like you can't get again into the games you've already finished?

Sure. I always finish a game once and that's it. I try to get everything possible out of a game the first time through and sometimes I do pick ups for collectibles or trophies afterwards, if they're easy and fun to do, but that's it.
Games are like movies to me, once I've seen it I've seen it and there's no point in repeating the same thing over and over. Repetition is boring.

Around the Network

99% of games I consider good to great are not ones I ever want to play again unless a sequel comes out. A major part of enjoying a game is discovering all that you can do with that character, unlock new abilities/skills, and progress its story to reveal twists and turns and character development. If you already know how all that plays out ahead of time it takes away the wonder. Some games are so good, however, that I would or do replay them, such as Paper Mario 1-3, Arkham City, Banjo Tooie (if MS would release RARE Replay on PC or Switch), but the vast vast vast majority do not make this cut.

I replay quite a few older games - generally from the SNES, PS1, N64 or GCN consoles. There's not much I've revisited after that. There's some games (Yoshi's Island, Tomb Raider 1-3, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64) that I tend to revisit every year, and I always finish them to 100%. I don't know if there's a comfort in the nostalgia they provide, but I find them much easier to dip back in to.

Me. Its the same reason why I don't watch a same movie twice, or on the very odd occasion dig out a classic years after. Particularity when its fresh in your mind. Plus games are a longer investment in time and I have loads of other games I have yet to play.

Depends entirely on the game. There are a lot of games I will go back to from time to time, quite a few I will eventually replay once if it's been a long time since I first played it and I don't remember much about it anymore, but there are many more I will play through exactly once and most likely never go back to after that.

Taking examples from games I played through for the first time last year, I will most likely go back and replay Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dark Souls Remastered and Nier: Automata many times in the years to come, and I will probably go back and play through Breath of the Wild and God of War for a second time one day, but I doubt I'll ever go back to Doom 2016, Middle-Earth: Shadow of War or The Messenger now that I've played through them once, and those are all games I very much enjoyed.

Around the Network

I rarely go back to single player campaign type games once I've finished, despite how much I enjoyed the game.  ie DOOM or BoTW.  That said, I have a sizeable library and hardly ever finish a game before starting a new one anyways.  Trying to suck it up and beat Calasmos in DQXI S, so I can start Ori series or Bioshock series or go back to Bayonetta 2.

I mean, I don't usually try. The only games I tend to come back to are multiplayer or open-ended games. There's too many games I have to play to go through the same game more than once, let alone more than two times.

There are some single-player experiences I have replayed over the years. It just doesn't happen often.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If a game has a beginning and an ending, the norm for me is not to replay it, but there are some exceptions. For example, if one or more harder difficulty modes get unlocked after completion (which I don't like, I prefer to have all the difficulties available from the beginning), I'd probably feel tempted to replay the game (at least) in the hardest one. Also, if it has a New Game Plus feature where my progress is carried over and/or there are some more extras that I can only get in another playthrough, then it's almost sure that I'll replay it, because it wouldn't feel complete in my mind otherwise.

So yes, I'm a completionist, which means that, even if I only make one playthrough per game, I generally invest a lot of time in it and try to squeeze the most out of that game. In fact, my playthroughs are usually way longer than what the actual length of the game is supposed to be even for a completionist. So, if the average number of hours for a completionist in a certain game is 20, it can easily take me 40 or 60 to finish it, because not only I go the 100% route, but I also tend to do it in the most inefficient way possible.

As an example, if I'm playing an RPG, instead of just playing normally and grinding when I actually need it, I'll stop in every single area and stay there until I achieve some goals that only exist in my mind, so I usually progress through the adventure at a very, very slow pace and I'm always way overpowered as a result. And that, to a greater or lesser extent, applies to every other genre or game which has some sort of a beginning an an ending; somehow, I always find what many other people would consider the most tedious way to finish it, but which to me (for whatever reason) it's an extremely gratifying way to play.

As a direct consequence of the above, however, I have to say that time constraints in games have always stressed me a little (although less now than in the past).

So, in conclusion, I don't usually replay games, but I invest so much time in them that it's like if I did. The drawback is that there are too many games that I would like/love to play and still haven't. =(

Last edited by Verter - on 16 February 2021

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Only when i 100% a game.

Certain games, I can't even bring myself to finish ONE time.
Other games (Gears, Arkham, Pikmin, Valkyria, etc) I not only play over and over, I purchase them over and over on different platforms.
And, of course, there are the games I love but one time is enough.