By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever feel like you can't get again into the games you've already finished?

I tend to replay games a lot.  However, I've been gaming for about 40 years now.  The games I replay tend to be pretty old and I just replay my favorites over the years.  In an average year there are probably only going to be 2-4 new ones that I'm really going to love.  There are at least 100 different games out there that I would enjoy replaying (probably closer to 200), but I've accumulated my favorites over the years.  For new games, I only expect a small handful to be good enough to replay.

Around the Network

Nope, never

I always come back to games I like even if I've already finished them

Depends on how much there is still to see. My huge backlog ensures that I don't get back into a game unless I feel like there's still enough to see, but on the other hand, there are games I get back to every now and then. That said, most of those games are such that you can't really ever finish then, which helps. Then there's games like Skyrim, which I've completed but feel like there's still so much I haven't seen because it just takes so much time. Speaking about an Elder Scrolls game, I should get back to Oblivion some time as well, since even there is still so much I have to see - or have to see again because that game can be quite charming.

Of course due to my backlog, there are also games I'd like to get back into but just can't find the time for. Sekiro? I'd like a platinum trophy since it doesn't seem too hard, but do I really have the time to replay it instead of playing something new? No, not really. Death Stranding? Uh, I should really do more in the game, but there simply isn't enough time. I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, and I think I'm getting fairly close to the end, and after it I have Crash Bandicoot 4 and Ghost of Tsushima. After that, I don't have any plans for any specific game, but that's just the games I've got fairly recently - my backlog has tons of other games as well...

I do for most games, but there are exceptions. Both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross I have beaten a countless number of times. Most Zelda games will get multiple playthroughs from me too. I beat Skyrim three times, and Witcher 3 twice. There are others I could list, but it is rare that games get more than a single playthrough out of me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

For most games I never return to them after beating them. Only the best games deserve a 2nd playthrough, or even to play the DLC. And only the best of the best get more than 2 playthroughs.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I tend to replay games a lot.  However, I've been gaming for about 40 years now.  The games I replay tend to be pretty old and I just replay my favorites over the years.  In an average year there are probably only going to be 2-4 new ones that I'm really going to love.  There are at least 100 different games out there that I would enjoy replaying (probably closer to 200), but I've accumulated my favorites over the years.  For new games, I only expect a small handful to be good enough to replay.

I guess that's another thing, I don't have access to my favorite games. Most of them are on Wii, Wii U and 360, but I don't have neither of those machines anymore. Of the games I have on Switch, the only I'd call an absolute favorite is BotW, although the modern DOOM games come close. I can't believe I am saying that, 4 years ago I was overly critical of that Zelda entry. The rest of my library on Switch, eh. I really like Ys VIII, but I haven't warmed up to the idea of replaying it. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Playing games I already finished is out of the question by default. They are finished, I got everything out of them I needed. Some games I don't even finish before I got my fix from them.

For me to even touch games I already finished I must be in a really dark place.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Playing games I already finished is out of the question by default. They are finished, I got everything out of them I needed. Some games I don't even finish before I got my fix from them.

You got your mind set, that's good. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I've a few that I don't see myself playing again.

1. Gran Turismo (the original): I really enjoyed this game even though I played it for the first time last year (!). It was reasonably deep (and extremely deep for the time, I imagine) and had a blast with the majority of the races. That being said, the licences suck and I had to force myself to endure them in order to beat the game. I don't see myself ever playing it again (or any of the GT games that require licences).

2. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: A unique game with tons of quests that became very repetitive and took a bunch of grinding to beat. I'm pretty sure my final save had 100h+ in it and I don't ever want to play it again.

3. GTA V: A fun game that in some ways improved over GTA IV yet in other ways didn't feel as good. This is a first for me with regards to GTA games but I didn't enjoy the story very much. Actually, I detested all 3 main characters. I didn't care one bit for any of them and that made the whole experience considerably worse for me.

I realize GTA games are usually not played for their stories since even at their best they aren't exactly a shining beacon of storytelling in the medium, but still. Even with the mute protagonist of GTA III I had more fun and I was way more invested in seeing his little narrative to a close than any of the 3 assholes in GTA V. Also I don't care about the Online portion.

vivster said:

As someone who regularly enjoys going back to my top 5 and revisit them, this outlook perplexes me. But hey, different strokes for different folk and all that.