By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever feel like you can't get again into the games you've already finished?

Besides PS3 games that got a PS4 version like Skyrim, Diablo,The last of us, the last games I repeated were Persona 4. x 3 Person 4G. x 2 and Persona 5. x2 or 3 times if you include P5 Royal.

On a partly related matter I'm usually fine when I decide to replay games that for one reason or another I only partly completed, The ones I find problematic are those that I have to relearn the controls and whatever particular nuances the game may or may not have, and don't want to start a new game unless my old save game was less than a couple of hours into the game, what about you guys do you sometimes experience this and do you consider it a barrier to replaying certain games.?

Last edited by mjk45 - on 15 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Back during the Wii/PS3 gen I would replay games multiple times. Nowadays its mostly just one playthrough.
I can only think of 2 games in recent memory where I replayed more than once and those are Fire Emblem Three Houses and DMC5. And only reasons being due to Fire Emblem nature of multiple playthroughs to get most/all the story and DMC5 requiring multiple playthroughs to get all the tricks and stats with new game +

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I rarely replay games these days. Zelda BOTW was an exception among the past few generations. I do like to replay old games many times over such as Super Mario Bros, The legend of Zelda, and Maniac Mansion on the NES, Chrono Trigger, and Tales of Symphonia.

Once I have finished a game that is it. I do not see the point of getting 100% completion.

mjk45 said:

Besides PS3 games that got a PS4 version like Skyrim, Diablo,The last of us, the last games I repeated were Persona 4. x 3 Person 4G. x 2 and Persona 5. x2 or 3 times if you include P5 Royal.

On a partly related matter I'm usually fine when I decide to replay games that for one reason or another I only partly completed, The ones I find problematic are those that I have to relearn the controls and whatever particular nuances the game may or may not have, and don't want to start a new game unless my old save game was less than a couple of hours into the game, what about you guys do you sometimes experience this and do you consider it barrier to replaying certain games.?

This happens a lot to me with RPGs. They're a little more complex than your average game and also require their sweet time, that's why they're so much a recipe for 'unreplayability'. Which is a shame because they're the games I enjoy the most, but I have rarely ever replayed an RPG after long hiatuses. I do usually start new playthroughs immediately after I finish one, but once I'm done with a game, I won't be returning to it. I'm interested in replaying Ys VIII before IX for Switch releases, but I need to find time for it. March has Bravely Default II and maybe in April Monster Hunter Rise (perhaps even May knowing the nature of the game). 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

I'm 40, been gaming since I was 2. I've only ever replayed 2 games (Halo: CE and Halo 2). Beyond that, once a campaign is complete, I never touch it again.  There are many more interesting games than I have time to play.  So, why play the same one twice? 

Ah yes, one and done games, as I call them.

The one that jumps to mind is Bravely Default. I enjoyed the game just fine. I would've enjoyed it A HELL of a lot more if I didn't have to awaken the crystals 7 fucking times just to get the best ending. I was really loving the game up until that point and then it just soured very quickly to the point where now the thought of going through that again just turns me off completely. It's part of the reason why I'm opting not to buy Bravely Default 2 unless its on sale or something like that.

I'm pretty much done with a game, once i've finished the main story. Can't even get myself to play the DLCs most of time, cause i've "mentally" put it behind me. I'm weird.

I can replay a game, when it has been long enough since i've played it for the first time, tho. Right now i'm playing Lunar Silver Star Story and i'm having a blast.

I don’t replay as many games as I used to when I simply couldn’t afford to buy all the games I wanted. But now, I mostly replay games that left a strong impact on me, be it by their storytelling, production value, or gameplay, and for which I will end up feeling nostalgia or they’re simply unmatched in their respective genre.

Games like the Final Fantasy, Zelda, TLOU, Mario and Metroid series (among others) all have games I’ve replayed countless times and will replay at least a little bit every year.

But it’s true that having so many games to play affects the need or will to go back to titles I already finished.

I hardly replay any game actually. With most games I’m just done if they’re over, even if I thought it was excellent. Obviously this doesn’t apply to endless games like city builders, there’s some I played for decades. Really the only games I’ve consistently replayed have been Zelda games, but even in that series I haven’t replayed every game. Outside Zelda, I have only replayed a handful of games.