By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever feel like you can't get again into the games you've already finished?

Jesus, nine days for Bravely Default II (pretty sure I'll be able to nab a copy on the 25th). I'm getting desperate. I always want to play 1 or 2 hours a day, but nothing cures my itch.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

It's weird, in the past I used to be able to endlessly play the same games over and over, but nowadays replaying older games just doesn't bring much joy any more, I feel like I have to play something I haven't before to get my endorphin rush. 

I mean, if I go back to a game I absolutely love but haven't touched in like 5+ years I still enjoy it, but it's just not the same.

I wonder if it's like how people say sex in marriage gets stale and you search for ways to keep it spicy to stop the temptation of cheating just to feel "alive again", that innate need humans seem to have for novelty.

curl-6 said:

It's weird, in the past I used to be able to endlessly play the same games over and over, but nowadays replaying older games just doesn't bring much joy any more, I feel like I have to play something I haven't before to get my endorphin rush. 

I mean, if I go back to a game I absolutely love but haven't touched in like 5+ years I still enjoy it, but it's just not the same.

I wonder if it's like how people say sex in marriage gets stale and you search for ways to keep it spicy to stop the temptation of cheating just to feel "alive again", that innate need humans seem to have for novelty.

It's one of the reasons I love the replayability of many 8-16 bit and arcade games, sure there were longer less replayable games as well. but games like for   example Turrican, Ridge Racer, Silkworm and way too many more to mention spread across all platforms, I would like to hear from all of you about other past   games that had great replayability.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Mar1217 said:
Metallox said:

Jesus, nine days for Bravely Default II (pretty sure I'll be able to nab a copy on the 25th). I'm getting desperate. I always want to play 1 or 2 hours a day, but nothing cures my itch.

We just can't wait for those 10 hours sessions during the weekends, can't we :P

Yup. I work in Saturdays but in Sunday I will absolutely have a 15th hour session playing Bravely Default. That's how it goes for me with new games, usually. 

curl-6 said:

It's definitely something like that. As you get older, the magic that playing games bring slowly wanes, your imagination and receptiveness aren't the same anymore, and it gets to a point where only the new stuff can sufficiently stimulate your senses. As a child I could play old games in different ways than intended. For example, I used to play Age of Empires II as a city builder, and I frequently did "mini-documentaries" with Pikmin 2, exploring wildlife, and I also experimented with the idea that the Pikmin "built empires". Some people manage to keep that spark alive and create works, like game developers, but as a consumer it's not so easy to maintain that childlike vision. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

It's one of the reasons I love the replayability of many 8-16 bit and arcade games, sure there were longer less replayable games as well. but games like for   example Turrican, Ridge Racer, Silkworm and way too many more to mention spread across all platforms, I would like to hear from all of you about other past   games that had great replayability.

I must've replayed Starfox SNES and N64 hundreds of times each, perhaps over a thousand times each. Spent hundreds of hours replaying levels in the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, heck even as recently as the Wii era I'd spent months just replaying games I'd already beaten over and over. My favourite games, Resident Evil 4, I've played all the way through 11 times.

Metallox said:
curl-6 said:

It's definitely something like that. As you get older, the magic that playing games bring slowly wanes, your imagination and receptiveness aren't the same anymore, and it gets to a point where only the new stuff can sufficiently stimulate your senses. As a child I could play old games in different ways than intended. For example, I used to play Age of Empires II as a city builder, and I frequently did "mini-documentaries" with Pikmin 2, exploring wildlife, and I also experimented with the idea that the Pikmin "built empires". Some people manage to keep that spark alive and create works, like game developers, but as a consumer it's not so easy to maintain that childlike vision. 

Yeah that's a good way of explaining it. Nowadays I so easily get bored replaying games I've already beaten, because there's no longer any surprise or feeling of discovery. It's like eating the same dish every night for a week, it loses its appeal. Fresh content on the other hand feels exciting because of the mystery of seeing how it'll play out, of not knowing what will happen next.

Around the Network

Al per always actually, and not just gaming but rather most entertainment

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also