By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Death of Platform Exclusive Software

Video games are a massive entertainment empire with a complex history. Hardware and software rise and fall, trends change, genres shift.

But I find it interesting that from the end of the seventh generation and the start of the eighth generation, software exclusivity is dying.

No where is this more clear than with Xbox. The Xbox One only has about 11 truly exclusive pieces of software. One of those is Rare Replay, a compilation of older games. Several of the others are Kinect games (which Microsoft killed years ago). And retroactively, some games later get ported to a future piece of hardware. Maybe Halo 5 will be one of those games.

And the Xbox Series S/X is the big shocker. It's a major video game platform and doesn't have a single piece of exclusive software available or announced. Every game on Series S/X you can either play on Windows or Xbox One.

Even the PlayStation 5 only has a tiny handful of true exclusives, with very few announced. 

And of the Nintendo Switch's thousands of titles, less than 80 are exclusive to the platform.

I have a mixed opinion on this whole situation. On the one hand, it seems very pro-consumer. A lot of people don't want to have to buy 2-3 platforms to play games. On the other hand, I feel like we are missing out on titles that take advantage of certain hardware features and controller inputs. But even then, the architectures of consoles is becoming more like PCs.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PlayStation 6 or 7 is like Xbox where you can play any of the games on at least PlayStation and Windows. It seems like that's where the industry is heading.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

There really isn't much in the way of unique hardware right now, outside of VR. So, I don't feel like we're missing out on much by having fewer exclusives. I've always been someone that buys every major system. But, it would be great to not have to do that anymore. I look forward to that time coming soon, and it seems that it is.

And there was much rejoicing!

More games available to more consumers.
More games available to buy and drive profits, which means more raises and jobs for development studios.

I look forward to the complete and total death of single device exclusives! Long live the new era!

The only thing that changed was the 3rd parties decided that there is a lot more money to be made to put your games on everything than on one platform.

The only exclusives that will be made are going to be from 1st party companies. This was always going to happen. If you want consoles to feel more unique then it will happen via 1st party games, not through 3rd parties. Those days are long gone.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Doesnt change much from the last 2 gens tbh, 1st party software is the defining factor at the end of the day.

Around the Network

I'm not really feeling it

For PC, Somy and Miceosoft maybe Yes

For Nintendo not really

We have exclusive demos instead.

Dulfite said:

And there was much rejoicing!

More games available to more consumers.
More games available to buy and drive profits, which means more raises and jobs for development studios.

I look forward to the complete and total death of single device exclusives! Long live the new era!

Yay.

This is a good thing. Also it's been like this ever since the 7th generation where we started seeing a lot less exclusives. The 8th generation saw even less, and now 9th gen will see even less.

The way I see it, partly a good thing, partly not.

On the one hand, it's cool being able to play previously exclusive games/IPs like Ori on Switch.

On the other, games tailored specifically for a certain hardware tend to take better advantage of that hardware than ports/multiplats. Switch so far has less such games than, say, the Wii, which is a shame.