By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Death of Platform Exclusive Software

freebs2 said:
curl-6 said:

Exclusives also help grow a system's userbase which results in it getting healthier software support, so they're a good thing in that way as well.

In that sense, exclusives help certain hadrware manifacturers to grow their userbase. Exclusivity doesn't help the market as a whole to grow larger and healthier, actually it could be argued the opposite. Going by the assumption that every gamer has a limited budget, by forcing to buy multiple system to access all games you're actually deminishing the value of the game software market (number of gamers * thier budget), so it actually hurts developers of non-exclusive game titles.

On the other hand, exclusivity is beneficial for game studios that make the exclusive title, since they get a co-marketing push from the platform manifacturer.

Exclusivity can only be beneficial for customers if exclusive games are designed to take great advantage of platform specific features; that was the case of games designed for the Wii or DS, but imo it doesn't apply very much to the Switch or to PS4 vs Xbox One. It can make sense for next gen games that require processing capabilites above what was avaliable on older gen systems.

Looking at games released in 2020, the only one that really can fit into that category was Half Life Alyx, probably.

If a game is Switch exclusive and helps move Switch hardware and grow the userbase, then that benefits me and others like me as Switch owners because then we get more games to play on our platform of choice.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 January 2021

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Also, I'd like to remind people that exclusives wouldn't exist if they weren't exclusive. The best games of the generation are always made by Sony and Nintendo. After CDPR screwing up that has become even more apparent. Sony/Nintendo pump far more money into their exclusive games than normal, because they count on making the money back by selling extra hardware, and then raking in 3rd party royalty fees on software. Sure, they take a hit on the hardware sale, but royalty fees more than make up for it.

Edit: Actually Nintendo makes money on hardware too. :D

In your opinion.

In my opinion the best games of the generation are typically made by Rockstar, and aren't exclusive.

Well, game awards and critics tend to agree with me so...

Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

A bunch of opinions regardless of who they're from are still just opinions so... don't pretend they're facts.

Not all opinions are created equal. The general critic consensus is that Sony/Nintendo make the best games of the generation. Don't get me wrong, RDR2 should stand shoulder to shoulder with Sony/Nintendo games, but that's just one game.

Ka-pi96 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I don't know how it is in USA, but here any phone costing less than 300 USD becomes useless after 1 year of system software updates, Android phones are so bad that even the most basic apps like Facebook and WhatsApp turns to be leg and bug after just a few months. Browsing in internet becomes a hell as webpages demands more and more cache and your mobile storage only degrades 

Then you ask why not buy a iPhone that can last some 4  or 5 years? Well, because those cost 1500 to 2000 USD. And yes, I'm not kidding

To me that sounds like some kind of investigation is needed. If it isn't already illegal then making phones crap out after a year definitely should be!

I've personally had no issues using old, or even 2nd hand, phones either in Japan or the UK. Sure, you can't play some games (never tried Pokemon Go for example since I've never had a phone that could run it), but all of the essential stuff works fine.

Sure, you can keep or mobile for 2 even 3 years if you only use it to make calls and use Facebook, WhatsApp and so on

The question is those phones are releases here months, perhaps over a year, after the release elsewhere. Android phones has a very high planned obsolescence, the hardware is not make to survive more than 3 years with the software and system updates, besides the hardware itself degrades quickly 

3 years of planned insolence - 1 year of delay to launch the model = Less then two years of effective service life before your phone becomes crappy

I'm of course of course talking about the cheap models, the ones we can buy for 150-200 USD. Better phones (~400k USD+) can do just fine more years because the hardware is powerful enough to survive the system updates. Mine was roughly 450k USD and after 28 months still pretty useful even if the battery is not as good as before 

I like the idea of people having the freedom to play games on whatever platform they choose. Less games being taken hostage, more people having access to said games, that's a plus for me.

Just ensure that if your game is being developed to run on a potato, then that mandatory potato version of the game doesn't result in creativity and features being compromised across all other platforms.

Last edited by NyanNyanNekoChan - on 24 January 2021

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

Do they represent everyone else on the planet, let alone the userbases on PC/Xbox?.

You're taking one side over the other here at this point, completely disregarding the other.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

curl-6 said:
freebs2 said:

In that sense, exclusives help certain hadrware manifacturers to grow their userbase. Exclusivity doesn't help the market as a whole to grow larger and healthier, actually it could be argued the opposite. Going by the assumption that every gamer has a limited budget, by forcing to buy multiple system to access all games you're actually deminishing the value of the game software market (number of gamers * thier budget), so it actually hurts developers of non-exclusive game titles.

On the other hand, exclusivity is beneficial for game studios that make the exclusive title, since they get a co-marketing push from the platform manifacturer.

Exclusivity can only be beneficial for customers if exclusive games are designed to take great advantage of platform specific features; that was the case of games designed for the Wii or DS, but imo it doesn't apply very much to the Switch or to PS4 vs Xbox One. It can make sense for next gen games that require processing capabilites above what was avaliable on older gen systems.

Looking at games released in 2020, the only one that really can fit into that category was Half Life Alyx, probably.

If a game is Switch exclusive and helps move Switch hardware and grow the userbase, then that benefits me and others like me as Switch owners because then we get more games to play on our platform of choice.

Switch owners, myself included, are getting a benefit from the fact a formerly exclusive games (from Microsoft) are being released on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and Will Of Whisps, Cuphead, etc.). The same way, as a PC gamer, I'm getting a benefit from the fact Sony is releasing some of their games on PC (Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding). The fact I'm enjoing these games on different platforms doesn't hinder the enjoyment of Xbox or PS4 players, so from a genereal consumer perspective (regardless of the platform I own), in the worst case I'm not losing anything, in the best case I'm getting a benefit.

Without exclusivity you could just choose the platform with the hardware specs and features you like the most and play the games you like regardless. The userbase of a specifc console would soley depend on hardware features and not depend on artificial paywalls to access specific games.

That said, I don't realistically expect exclusives to go away anytime soon since Nintendo, MS and Sony are all getting benefit from it. At the same time as consumer, exclusives are hurting me in two ways: by making me spend more money and by limiting my choice.

freebs2 said:
curl-6 said:

Switch owners, myself included, are getting a benefit from the fact a formerly exclusive games (from Microsoft) are being released on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and Will Of Whisps, Cuphead, etc.). The same way, as a PC gamer, I'm getting a benefit from the fact Sony is releasing some of their games on PC (Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding). The fact I'm enjoing these games on different platforms doesn't hinder the enjoyment of Xbox or PS4 players, so from a genereal consumer perspective (regardless of the platform I own), in the worst case I'm not losing anything, in the best case I'm getting a benefit.

Without exclusivity you could just choose the platform with the hardware specs and features you like the most and play the games you like regardless. The userbase of a specifc console would soley depend on hardware features and not depend on artificial paywalls to access specific games.

That said, I don't realistically expect exclusives to go away anytime soon since Nintendo, MS and Sony are all getting benefit from it. At the same time as consumer, exclusives are hurting me in two ways: by making me spend more money and by limiting my choice.

I wouldn't be able to play the games I want on the platform I want though, if exclusives weren't there to build the userbase of my preferred platform to the point of it being worth supporting.

curl-6 said:
freebs2 said:

I wouldn't be able to play the games I want on the platform I want though, if exclusives weren't there to build the userbase of my preferred platform to the point of it being worth supporting.

It's a bit like the chicken and egg problem...what made you choose your current platform of choice? The hardware features or its exclusive game library, or both? If you hypothesize a game market without exlcusives you can just leave one variable out of the equation, in other words regadless of what console you choose you could still potentially play any Nintendo, Sony or MS games on it. Your choice would be based just on hardware features: your favourite form factor, your favourite controller, your favourite online service, the most suitable price point, etc.

If a console, in that specific scenario, doen't get enough traction to get software support, the reason must be because its features are unappealing to the market. In that scenario, even if you 'bet on the wrong horse', the cost of switching to another console would be lower, since you don't lose access to any exclusive title.

Now, consider the same console (with the same unappealing hardware features) in the current market. Thanks to exclusives it could expand the userbase in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise. This means players are accepting to buy a console with sub-optimal features in order to gain access to its exclusive library...I don't see this as a gain from the consumer perspective.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 24 January 2021

freebs2 said:

It's a bit like the chicken and egg problem...what made you choose your current platform of choice? The hardware features or its exclusive game library, or both? If you hypothesize a game market without exlcusives you can just leave one variable out of the equation, in other words regadless of what console you choose you could still potentially play any Nintendo, Sony or MS games on it. Your choice would be based just on hardware features: your favourite form factor, your favourite controller, your favourite online service, etc.

If a console, in that specific scenario, doen't get enough traction to get software support, the reason must be because its features are unappealing to the market. In that scenario, even if you 'bet on the wrong horse', the cost of switching to another console would be lower, since you don't lose access to any exclusive title.

Now, consider the same console (with the same unappealing hardware features) in the current market. Thanks to exclusives it could expand the userbase in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise. This means players are accepting to buy a console with sub-optimal features in order to gain access to its exclusive library...I don't see this as a gain from the consumer perspective.

This reminds me of the time when Ninty itself tried to dabble in VR years ago. They had exclusive games for it, but the device itself was such utter garbage that hardly any Ninty or non Ninty fan likes to talk about that device. The device itself is a prime example of it not having goo features or the device itself being good enough to use, even with it's exclusive games, so you'd be correct, it isn't exactly and primarily down to just exclusives, but it's the device itself that has to prove it's worth. 

Then there's the PS Vita, which has proprietary memory cards, and I know a lot hated that back then. Sure it didn't have many first party games on it, but the device itself wasn't doing much of anything new, compared to DS to 3DS evolution, and the Vita lacked enough third party support and it suffered. That could be taken as a slightly different example, but things like the forced proprietary  mem cars part does add up.

I think that if the device itself isn't at all appealing, then I wouldn't buy it, even if it had exclusive software. I'm not sure why anyone would force themselves to use a device they wouldn't like, just to play something exclusive.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"