By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Death of Platform Exclusive Software

The less exclusives, the better. Hopefully the idea does die completely at some point, but Nintendo's probably never letting up.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

The less exclusives, the better. Hopefully the idea does die completely at some point, but Nintendo's probably never letting up.

I mean you can't really innovate on controls without doing this

TheBraveGallade said:
mZuzek said:

I mean you can't really innovate on controls without doing this

Eh. The last time there was a major innovation in controls was the Wii, and even that turned out irrelevant over time. Nowadays, all companies already used a standardized control scheme for 99% of their games anyway.

And even then, in a world where no system had exclusive games, that still doesn't inherently mean a game can't have different controls. A company like Nintendo could release their own controllers, which work on every system, and have additional functionalities that makes their games better. Or even if they wanted to make their games exclusive to their controllers, that's still a lot better than having to buy a whole console for an exclusive game. Not too different from where VR is at.

curl-6 said:

The way I see it, partly a good thing, partly not.

On the one hand, it's cool being able to play previously exclusive games/IPs like Ori on Switch.

On the other, games tailored specifically for a certain hardware tend to take better advantage of that hardware than ports/multiplats. Switch so far has less such games than, say, the Wii, which is a shame.

I think that's more because motion controls went out of style (which Switch can do), and Gyro controls never were popular in the Wii U (which Switch can also do). So it makes sense developers aren't making games use those console features much. But the one big feature EVERYONE is doing is the ability to play in handheld only mode. That isn't a must. We could easily have some developers make games that only work in docked mode, but they aren't. In that sense, using that feature, we have thousands of games using the Switch's main unique feature.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

The way I see it, partly a good thing, partly not.

On the one hand, it's cool being able to play previously exclusive games/IPs like Ori on Switch.

On the other, games tailored specifically for a certain hardware tend to take better advantage of that hardware than ports/multiplats. Switch so far has less such games than, say, the Wii, which is a shame.

I think that's more because motion controls went out of style (which Switch can do), and Gyro controls never were popular in the Wii U (which Switch can also do). So it makes sense developers aren't making games use those console features much. But the one big feature EVERYONE is doing is the ability to play in handheld only mode. That isn't a must. We could easily have some developers make games that only work in docked mode, but they aren't. In that sense, using that feature, we have thousands of games using the Switch's main unique feature.

Motion controls are still very much a widespread feature on Switch, it's just that the majority of games on the platform are ports from 7th or 8th gen systems and so don't take advantage of the hardware as well as a game made from the ground up would.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

It always makes me cringe how the same people that want exclusives to die, also own $500+ phones. If you're willing to pay over $500 for a phone, then you should be willing to pony up $300 to play some exclusive Nintendo games.

Exclusives also help grow a system's userbase which results in it getting healthier software support, so they're a good thing in that way as well.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

3rd party exclusives for Sony have already been getting PC treatments for at least the last 2 or 3 years. It's very clearly something Sony sees is necessary for their partners in terms of being able to secure the exclusives in the first place. I see no harm in that because I feel that the PC and console markets are still relatively 2 different things.

I do think that MS has an exclusives problem atm (but that should change at least by 2022). Sony and Nintendo both seem to be in pretty comfortable places with 1st and 3rd party content that is unique to their platforms (even if timed).

Are exclusives dying? Sure, it seems that way. But it's hard to tell what will happen with future generations since we have only just begun.
The way I see it, it's very easy for a developer to go with Sony/ Nintendo, and then to have a later Gamepass release for MS. Of course, I can't speak to the financials of this decision.

Cerebralbore101 said:

It always makes me cringe how the same people that want exclusives to die, also own $500+ phones. If you're willing to pay over $500 for a phone, then you should be willing to pony up $300 to play some exclusive Nintendo games.

Well, people generally only use one phone at a time, right? And you probably need to have a phone.
I wish iPhone's don't cost as much as they do, but it is what it is.

Anyway, when you buy a new phone, people often trade in their old phones. And whether you stay on the same platform, or switch to another, you'll generally be able to do the same things, and play the same games and transfer your accounts.

Buying an additional console is a bit different I think.
You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it based on how much additional use it will give you.

Maybe it has 5 games I know that I want to play. For some people that's enough to warrant the price. For others it isn't.
And even if it is, what if you still have a bunch of other games left to play on your current platform? Then when will you even get to play those 5 games?

Then time goes on, and talks of a successor to that system starts popping up, etc.

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 January 2021

Hiku said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Well, people generally only use one phone at a time, right? And you probably need to have a phone.
I wish iPhone's don't cost as much as they do, but it is what it is.

Anyway, when you buy a new phone, people often trade in their old phones. And whether you stay on the same platform, or switch to another, you'll generally be able to do the same things, and play the same games and transfer your accounts.

Buying an additional console is a bit different I think.
You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it based on how much additional use it will give you.

Maybe it has 5 games I know that I want to play. For some people that's enough to warrant the price. For others it isn't.
And even if it is, what if you still have a bunch of other games left to play on your current platform? Then when will you even get to play those 5 games?

Then time goes on, and talks of a successor to that system starts popping up, etc.

You need a phone, but you do not need a phone costing $500 and up. I have a $30 POS ZTE branded phone that does 90% of what those $500 to $1000 phones do. Buying an expensive phone is just a colossal waste of money. I could see someone spending $150 or even $200 on a new phone. But $500? That's just crazy.