By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Death of Platform Exclusive Software

mZuzek said:

The less exclusives, the better. Hopefully the idea does die completely at some point, but Nintendo's probably never letting up.

I mean you can't really innovate on controls without doing this

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The way I see it, partly a good thing, partly not.

On the one hand, it's cool being able to play previously exclusive games/IPs like Ori on Switch.

On the other, games tailored specifically for a certain hardware tend to take better advantage of that hardware than ports/multiplats. Switch so far has less such games than, say, the Wii, which is a shame.

I think that's more because motion controls went out of style (which Switch can do), and Gyro controls never were popular in the Wii U (which Switch can also do). So it makes sense developers aren't making games use those console features much. But the one big feature EVERYONE is doing is the ability to play in handheld only mode. That isn't a must. We could easily have some developers make games that only work in docked mode, but they aren't. In that sense, using that feature, we have thousands of games using the Switch's main unique feature.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

The way I see it, partly a good thing, partly not.

On the one hand, it's cool being able to play previously exclusive games/IPs like Ori on Switch.

On the other, games tailored specifically for a certain hardware tend to take better advantage of that hardware than ports/multiplats. Switch so far has less such games than, say, the Wii, which is a shame.

I think that's more because motion controls went out of style (which Switch can do), and Gyro controls never were popular in the Wii U (which Switch can also do). So it makes sense developers aren't making games use those console features much. But the one big feature EVERYONE is doing is the ability to play in handheld only mode. That isn't a must. We could easily have some developers make games that only work in docked mode, but they aren't. In that sense, using that feature, we have thousands of games using the Switch's main unique feature.

Motion controls are still very much a widespread feature on Switch, it's just that the majority of games on the platform are ports from 7th or 8th gen systems and so don't take advantage of the hardware as well as a game made from the ground up would.

It always makes me cringe how the same people that want exclusives to die, also own $500+ phones. If you're willing to pay over $500 for a phone, then you should be willing to pony up $300 to play some exclusive Nintendo games.

Exclusives also help grow a system's userbase which results in it getting healthier software support, so they're a good thing in that way as well.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It always makes me cringe how the same people that want exclusives to die, also own $500+ phones. If you're willing to pay over $500 for a phone, then you should be willing to pony up $300 to play some exclusive Nintendo games.

Well, people generally only use one phone at a time, right? And you probably need to have a phone.
I wish iPhone's don't cost as much as they do, but it is what it is.

Anyway, when you buy a new phone, people often trade in their old phones. And whether you stay on the same platform, or switch to another, you'll generally be able to do the same things, and play the same games and transfer your accounts.

Buying an additional console is a bit different I think.
You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it based on how much additional use it will give you.

Maybe it has 5 games I know that I want to play. For some people that's enough to warrant the price. For others it isn't.
And even if it is, what if you still have a bunch of other games left to play on your current platform? Then when will you even get to play those 5 games?

Then time goes on, and talks of a successor to that system starts popping up, etc.

You need a phone, but you do not need a phone costing $500 and up. I have a $30 POS ZTE branded phone that does 90% of what those $500 to $1000 phones do. Buying an expensive phone is just a colossal waste of money. I could see someone spending $150 or even $200 on a new phone. But $500? That's just crazy.

Everyone gets to play X game, then everyone wins, that's good in my books.

The only issue I see, is when we have so many platforms, refresh systems, that devs find it hard to keep up with making sure said games run decently on said platforms.

I bought into my Switch mostly for indie titles anyway, because I still love portable gaming, an I only ever liked a few Ninty IP's, so there was less interest in exclusive software to buy the system for in the first place.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ka-pi96 said:

And it's awesome!

I just hope Sony release more of their games on PC too. Horizon was a good start, but why not everything? I hope that Nintendo jump on the bandwagon and release their entire back catalogue onto Steam as well.

the problem is, even IF consoles net little profit, they'd need to sell at LEAST 3-4 times as much as a third party to gain as much money doing that... for the same amount of effort. and this is not including the profits they get off of third party games on thier system...

I think exclusivity is more about variety than anything else. You get to choose the platform that gives you the most of your favorite kinds of games. Platforms justify their existence by offering different games, otherwise what's the point of different platforms? Death of exclusives is very worrying, it could over time lead to less platforms, which in turn will lead to less varied games. I'd be horrified if my selection of games was down to one platform, and one that doesn't really cater to my specific needs.
I'm a Sony guy, but if you're not, think about a scenario where all games would be either third party, or Sony games. That would be it. How would that feel?

nintendo 1st party is king for them so it aint changin 4 them!