By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Death of Platform Exclusive Software

Cerebralbore101 said:
Hiku said:

Well, people generally only use one phone at a time, right? And you probably need to have a phone.
I wish iPhone's don't cost as much as they do, but it is what it is.

Anyway, when you buy a new phone, people often trade in their old phones. And whether you stay on the same platform, or switch to another, you'll generally be able to do the same things, and play the same games and transfer your accounts.

Buying an additional console is a bit different I think.
You'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it based on how much additional use it will give you.

Maybe it has 5 games I know that I want to play. For some people that's enough to warrant the price. For others it isn't.
And even if it is, what if you still have a bunch of other games left to play on your current platform? Then when will you even get to play those 5 games?

Then time goes on, and talks of a successor to that system starts popping up, etc.

You need a phone, but you do not need a phone costing $500 and up. I have a $30 POS ZTE branded phone that does 90% of what those $500 to $1000 phones do. Buying an expensive phone is just a colossal waste of money. I could see someone spending $150 or even $200 on a new phone. But $500? That's just crazy.

I don't even know who you're talking about, but like...

That's not how it works, at all.

I spent probably more than R$6000 on my PC. Don't know what that is in dollars, probably close to $1000 at this point given how ridiculous the exchange rate is getting. That doesn't mean I have money to spend on other things. Me having spent that much on a PC doesn't make me rich, it just shows that I thought having a good PC was worth that level of investment. It took me a whole year to buy all the parts and finish it.

Sure I could afford a console with that money I spent on the PC, but I could not afford a console after buying the PC. Would've then had to save up for another several months for that (though not really, because covid killed my income, but that's beside the point). And from that point on, even if I had the money, do I really want it?

Personally, I kinda want a PS4 or PS5 for their exclusives. Makes me think about saving up to get one, but when I look at the price, that's it really. For that money I can, and should, instead be getting other things that are far more important for my life, for example a new guitar. Another console just isn't enticing enough in this situation. For a lot of people, the $500 phone is more enticing, because they use their phone that much. And I mean, if the phone costs that much, I'm willing to bet it probably could run more advanced games than a Switch can.

It's just such a stupid argument for exclusivity. I can afford a PS4 if I save up enough. But I don't want to. Am I wrong to want the ability to play a PS4 game on a system I already own? That's ridiculous, honestly. I understand why exclusives exist and that they likely will remain exclusives, it is what it is. But I would much rather they not be exclusives, for obvious reasons.

And to take things a step further still... I'm currently replaying Astral Chain on my Switch. It's such a good game, I love it. But you know what I'd love a lot more? If I could play it at 1080p 60fps on my PC. It's totally jarring going from a mid-level PC to the Switch, being thrown right back into the world of 30fps and crappy resolutions. The game still looks and plays beautiful, better than most on the Switch, but I can't help but want to play it at much better quality than this. Exclusivity here is the only reason I can't.

Around the Network

Everyone gets to play X game, then everyone wins, that's good in my books.

The only issue I see, is when we have so many platforms, refresh systems, that devs find it hard to keep up with making sure said games run decently on said platforms.

I bought into my Switch mostly for indie titles anyway, because I still love portable gaming, an I only ever liked a few Ninty IP's, so there was less interest in exclusive software to buy the system for in the first place.

Exclusivity and the need to showcase the capabilities of your hardware is why they do and need to exist. 

This has been Nintendo philosophy for as long as they lived thus far. I don't think they gonna change that approach in our lifetime 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You need a phone, but you do not need a phone costing $500 and up. I have a $30 POS ZTE branded phone that does 90% of what those $500 to $1000 phones do. Buying an expensive phone is just a colossal waste of money. I could see someone spending $150 or even $200 on a new phone. But $500? That's just crazy.

I spent probably more than R$6000 on my PC. Don't know what that is in dollars, probably close to $1000 at this point given how ridiculous the exchange rate is getting. That doesn't mean I have money to spend on other things. Me having spent that much on a PC doesn't make me rich, it just shows that I thought having a good PC was worth that level of investment. It took me a whole year to buy all the parts and finish it.

Sure I could afford a console with that money I spent on the PC, but I could not afford a console after buying the PC. Would've then had to save up for another several months for that (though not really, because covid killed my income, but that's beside the point). And from that point on, even if I had the money, do I really want it?

Personally, I kinda want a PS4 or PS5 for their exclusives. Makes me think about saving up to get one, but when I look at the price, that's it really. For that money I can, and should, instead be getting other things that are far more important for my life, for example a new guitar. Another console just isn't enticing enough in this situation. For a lot of people, the $500 phone is more enticing, because they use their phone that much. And I mean, if the phone costs that much, I'm willing to bet it probably could run more advanced games than a Switch can.

It's just such a stupid argument for exclusivity. I can afford a PS4 if I save up enough. But I don't want to. Am I wrong to want the ability to play a PS4 game on a system I already own? That's ridiculous, honestly. I understand why exclusives exist and that they likely will remain exclusives, it is what it is. But I would much rather they not be exclusives, for obvious reasons.

And to take things a step further still... I'm currently replaying Astral Chain on my Switch. It's such a good game, I love it. But you know what I'd love a lot more? If I could play it at 1080p 60fps on my PC. It's totally jarring going from a mid-level PC to the Switch, being thrown right back into the world of 30fps and crappy resolutions. The game still looks and plays beautiful, better than most on the Switch, but I can't help but want to play it at much better quality than this. Exclusivity here is the only reason I can't.

Technically speaking without the bargain of exclusivity which gives attraction to the hardware, games like Astral Chain would have most likely no chance to exist.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

And it's awesome!

I just hope Sony release more of their games on PC too. Horizon was a good start, but why not everything? I hope that Nintendo jump on the bandwagon and release their entire back catalogue onto Steam as well.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
mZuzek said:

Technically speaking without the bargain of exclusivity which gives attraction to the hardware, games like Astral Chain would have most likely no chance to exist.

You spelt "moneyhat" wrong.

A bargain is when you save money. A moneyhat is when somebody pays you money to do something. It was definitely the latter.

Ka-pi96 said:

And it's awesome!

I just hope Sony release more of their games on PC too. Horizon was a good start, but why not everything? I hope that Nintendo jump on the bandwagon and release their entire back catalogue onto Steam as well.

the problem is, even IF consoles net little profit, they'd need to sell at LEAST 3-4 times as much as a third party to gain as much money doing that... for the same amount of effort. and this is not including the profits they get off of third party games on thier system...

TheBraveGallade said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And it's awesome!

the problem is, even IF consoles net little profit, they'd need to sell at LEAST 3-4 times as much as a third party to gain as much money doing that... for the same amount of effort. and this is not including the profits they get off of third party games on thier system...

So what you're saying is they should just stop making consoles and go PC/mobile exclusive instead?

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 23 January 2021

I think exclusivity is more about variety than anything else. You get to choose the platform that gives you the most of your favorite kinds of games. Platforms justify their existence by offering different games, otherwise what's the point of different platforms? Death of exclusives is very worrying, it could over time lead to less platforms, which in turn will lead to less varied games. I'd be horrified if my selection of games was down to one platform, and one that doesn't really cater to my specific needs.
I'm a Sony guy, but if you're not, think about a scenario where all games would be either third party, or Sony games. That would be it. How would that feel?

nintendo 1st party is king for them so it aint changin 4 them!