By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Political Spectrum quiz

OTBWY said:

Like, illegal immigration for example is a difficult and complex subject. I think many people know that ultimately its not good for a large influx to overwhelm your infrastructure. And you also don't want them to be exploited as a cheap labour force. But you also want to be open to people in need. So, you want to look at the cause of it and see what the root of that problem is and work from that, or you can be a simple mind and hate brown people taking yer jawbs. 

Sounds like you're talking about regular immigration there, rather than specifically illegal. There's a pretty big difference. Granted, I expect those that "hate brown people taking yer jawbs" hate immigration full stop, but for the rest of us there's a difference at least.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

Like, illegal immigration for example is a difficult and complex subject. I think many people know that ultimately its not good for a large influx to overwhelm your infrastructure. And you also don't want them to be exploited as a cheap labour force. But you also want to be open to people in need. So, you want to look at the cause of it and see what the root of that problem is and work from that, or you can be a simple mind and hate brown people taking yer jawbs. 

Sounds like you're talking about regular immigration there, rather than specifically illegal. There's a pretty big difference. Granted, I expect those that "hate brown people taking yer jawbs" hate immigration full stop, but for the rest of us there's a difference at least.

There is a difference, but I think that difference is mostly about targeting a specific set of people who aren't wanted. Legal immigration in many countries is reserved for well off people, with a level of education which is also a certain indicator of wealth. I am talking about people who have no means to come in "legally" specifically.

Personally have no issues at all with legal immigration, I suspect very few do. I mean the US was founded on legal immigration pretty much, while it was originally created as a British colony and parts of it were also Spanish and French colonies that were acquired, US had large numbers of German, Scotch, and Scotch-Irish legal immigrants early on, and later many Asians immigrated as well, starting with Chinese immigrants during the Gold Rush. Legal immigrants were instrumental in the construction of the First Transcontinental railroad, with large numbers of immigrants working on the railroad from both sides, Chinese in the west and Irish, German, and many others in the East. Today we have legal immigrants in the US from probably every other country on the planet, with the largest populations in recent years being from South and Central America and Asia.

Illegal immigration on the other hand is terrible for many reasons. I understand why some attempt it, but that doesn't change the facts. It's often dangerous for those who attempt it, and they sometimes risk children as well when attempting to do so. Some of them (in the US at least) are involved with drug cartels and are smuggling drugs. They often avoid paying certain taxes when they get here, which is unfair to tax paying citizens. It's unfair to those who go through the process of legal immigration. Companies exploit them for cheap labor (there is a poultry plant in my area that has been exploiting illegal immigrants for decades, my dad worked there in the 70's when the INS (predecessor to modern day ICE) would go through every 6 or so months and clean out illegal immigrants working there, and there would always be more 6 months later, and I had a best friend who got a job there after high school in the late 00's who said they were still exploiting illegals at that time). They take low skill jobs from citizens, dirty companies prefer hiring illegals over citizens because they will work for less and the company can avoid paying some benefits.

As for what to do about the illegal problem, here in the US at least: I am in favor of stronger border control than we have currently, particularly along the Mexican border, as well as a larger and better equipped Coast Guard. As for what to do about the 11 or so million illegals currently in the US (some studies suggest the number is much higher), I would say that I take a moderate stance between the left wing (grant them all immediate citizenship) and the right (deport them all), I'd give them a set period of time to study for the same citizenship exam that legal immigrants must pass, if they pass they get citizenship, if they fail they get deported. I'd say that's pretty fair.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 07 January 2021

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

My family came here cause they were going to get killed if they stayed in their home countries based on their ethnicity. They came legally, but if they could not, I'd have supported their illegal immigration, and I support anyone trying to immigrate illegally due to a legitimate threat to their safety.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Ka-pi96 said:

My family came here cause they were going to get killed if they stayed in their home countries based on their ethnicity. They came legally, but if they could not, I'd have supported their illegal immigration, and I support anyone trying to immigrate illegally due to a legitimate threat to their safety.

Not sure about anybody else, but I'd certainly fully support that kind of immigration (ie. asylum seekers) being legal. So it shouldn't be part of illegal immigration anyway.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 07 January 2021

RolStoppable said:

Typical Austrian

Ka-pi96 said:
JWeinCom said:

Not sure about anybody else, but I'd certainly fully support that kind of immigration (ie. asylum seekers) being legal. So it shouldn't be part of illegal immigration anyway.

Suppose it wasn't legal (I'm not an expert on asylum laws). Would you then favor illegal immigration?

JWeinCom said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Suppose it wasn't legal (I'm not an expert on asylum laws). Would you then favor illegal immigration?

Plus, there's the fact administrations like Trump's, or many in Western Europe, make claiming legal asylum a headache, or work very hard to admit the smallest amount of refugees as possible.

As a non-US resident, this sure was a weird quiz.