By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red Apologizes For Hiding Base Console Performance- Offers Refunds

Will you be asking for a refund?

Yes 14 35.00%

No 26 65.00%

Total:40
Jranation said:
Cobretti2 said:

You know what I will give them some credit.

At least they apologised.

Now the reason I am giving them some credit because when Nintendo console gets a dog pile of shit and gamers don't buy it, oh the console has "no Audience" rather than sorry we fucked up thinking Nintendo gamers are stupid and will buy it anyway.

Now how I feel, they should have put out an early copy to say 1000 gamers on each system (based on some criteria, maybe hours spent playing witcher 3) and just delayed it to 2021 and let the small user base find all the bugs and fixe them.

They only apologised because everyone was shitting them. Like how when someone breaks the law or did something bad only apologise because they got caught. They know what they were doing. 

Nintendo gamers do the same o the poor efforts by 3rd parties, but they still get the fuck you, you guys suck and hate our games no more of our games on Nintendo system, instead of wow maybe we went too far by cutting corners and content, we shouldn't do it again.

Around the Network

Has anything like this happened in gaming before? The whole situation seems unprecedented.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wow Sony pulled the game from the store!!!

So it seems Sony is offering refunds now and actually pulled the game from the store. Well so much for a decent relationship between CDPR and Playstation.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

SvennoJ said:

12.4 million vs 15.9 million.

Afaik the idea behind this line of thought was, why not drop consoles, most sales are on PC. They would be dropping 15.9 million sales, 56% of the numerical sales in W3 terms. And sure they take 100% of the cut on GoG, however W3 is $16 there currently (70% off), $44 on Steam, actually $12 on XBox, full price on PSN and Nintendo. Apart from sales (currently on sale on XBox) digital games are usually much more expensive on consoles.

Why bother with PC, same reason, 44% is still nearly half and as you said, better margins. The biggest difference is far fewer margin sucking physical editions on PC. You could ask, why bother releasing on Switch with only 800K sales (probably more now). 800K times $60 revenue generated.

It would be interesting to know how many copies were sold in China. No clue.

Anyway CDPR explained TW3 wouldn't have been possible (as it is) without console sales
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witcher-3-Wouldn-t-Exist-Consoles-72064.html

Oh this popped up as well, I assume these aren't counted, although who knows with CDPR nowadays...
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/16/21293300/the-witcher-3-free-pc-ps4-xbox-steam-epic-cd-projekt-red

When you have to combine last gen systems vs an ever ongoing platform, yes, but two of those are now in the past, while PC sales will continue to add.

That's still also factoring in 30% cut from those console storefronts btw.

What I was trying to get at primarily was "who's more important than the other, that you could simply just eventually drop one in favor of the other?", because that's what I tend to get when it comes to sales talk on this site, since it's not good enough to be less than 50%, you've got to be around 70-90% to be at the top and thus be the primary target consumer base.

Another thing is I look at CDPR like I look at Valve, they both started out a companies that made games on PC, they eventually spread out to consoles, but afatg, they both still cater primarily to that platform.

Yes CDPR will spin that PR, and just like what we've recently been hearing from them, I'm wondering if anyone should take their words for granted. Without their first foray into making games, we wouldn't even have a Cyberpunk or Witcher series, had it not been for PC sales in the first place for the first two games.

Free copies afaik wouldn't be counted as "sold".

Recently we've also had the pre-orders split as well:

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-had-8-million-pre-orders-59-of-which-were-on-pc-biggest-pc-launch-ever/

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Peh said:

Yup, Sony is adding more issues to the ongoing shitshow.

They knew what they where doing giving this non apology, not even talking with sony and microsoft and trying to shift blame , now fanboys and hater will get this as a excuse to start to shit on console makers for this and the talk will shift with cdp laughing with their pockets full, they are pure scum.

It shouldn't distract from the fact that Sony has a really bad refund policy.

Warner Brothers Interactive did that too with Arkham Knight on Steam without issues. You could refund the game even after you've finished the it. Taking care of customers who encounter such issues should be a pretty high prio in my book.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Dulfite said:
SvennoJ said:

They promised an incredible game / laid the groundwork for an incredible game. The PC version is far from complete nor stable either. Currently over 3,000 threads on Steam in technical discussions.

Don't shift the blame to consoles that just delivered RDR2, Spiderman, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima. The consoles are fine, CDPR just isn't very good at using them. CDPR needed console sales to make TW3 into what they wanted. So far they still sold more to console base than to PC in unit numbers, in profit probably even more since console versions hold their value longer / fewer sales. Without consoles funding their games they would be working with one third of the budget.

They knew what the consoles are capable off, they knew what their engine was capable of on the consoles, yet they chose to upgrade / strain their engine beyond where it can still run on the consoles. Then withheld the truth until they cashed in on nearly 4 million pre-orders on those consoles. False advertisement is an understatement in this case.

The sad thing is, reviewers all fell for it hook line and sinker. We need to go back to reviewing games on how they are when delivered. First impressions count, not there's potential and it will likely be fixed / finished. If you don't want bad scores at launch, don't launch it broken / unfinished. It's as simple as that. There is always early access if you're desperate for money now.

So should No Man's Sky be held to the same score it had at launch even though it was a hot mess and has come a LONG way with free updates since? Or Arkham Knight? Or if Anthem improves a lot? Their hard work doing things for free to improve it for the player doesn't get rewarded with an updated score or is that not what you're saying?

Maybe the system could be reworked to allow GOTY, Special edition, etc to have another entry on the database, but truth is most reviewers wouldn't re-review the game so it would be a very small sample and most likely with inflated scores as possibly the ones that go to re-review are the ones that really liked it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

So should No Man's Sky be held to the same score it had at launch even though it was a hot mess and has come a LONG way with free updates since? Or Arkham Knight? Or if Anthem improves a lot? Their hard work doing things for free to improve it for the player doesn't get rewarded with an updated score or is that not what you're saying?

Maybe the system could be reworked to allow GOTY, Special edition, etc to have another entry on the database, but truth is most reviewers wouldn't re-review the game so it would be a very small sample and most likely with inflated scores as possibly the ones that go to re-review are the ones that really liked it.

There was a PC gaming magazine that reviewed again some games after some time, to see if buggy ones bettered, if enhanced, expanded special and GOTY editions were considerably better and also if very good, and particularly very hyped at launch ones had stood the test of time. IIRC it was the glorious PCZone, very funny to read, but very serious in its job, only excellent games received more than 90% rating, and they had no problems rating very bad games less than 20% (that made the game also win the special "pants" award).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
DonFerrari said:

There was a PC gaming magazine that reviewed again some games after some time, to see if buggy ones bettered, if enhanced, expanded special and GOTY editions were considerably better and also if very good, and particularly very hyped at launch ones had stood the test of time. IIRC it was the glorious PCZone, very funny to read, but very serious in its job, only excellent games received more than 90% rating, and they had no problems rating very bad games less than 20% (that made the game also win the special "pants" award).

That is very commendable imho. But do you agree there are far to little games and reviewing outlets that would do it to make sense having another entry on a metacritic type of portal?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not terribly surprising to see Sony react that way, they hate refunds with a passion.