By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you drink, and if so how much?

I am a...

Non-drinker 49 30.82%

Occasional drinker 72 45.28%

Moderate drinker 28 17.61%

Heavy drinker 10 6.29%

Total:159
curl-6 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Are there any other flavours? I can see a watermelon tasting great frozen in liquid nitrogen lol

Not that I know of but that does sound really awesome haha. 

Runa216 said:

As a kid, I tried alcohol with my parent's blessing and thought I was the coolest little shit on the block.

As a teen I continued to drink from time to time because I could but quickly came to realize how little I liked it and I Realized I was just doing it to be cool. It never had an effect on me no matter how much I drank; I never got a buzz or comfortably numb or anything like that. It just tasted bad, was expensive, and made other people idiots I didn't want to be around.

As a young adult and legal drinking age, I got bored of it but people still thought I was fun to party with so I drank until I was blackout drunk (Took a full 40oz on my own), and haven't drank since then. I just don't see the appeal and only ever did when I was an insecure kid trying to fit in and be cool. Now I'm just my own person and I not only don't drink but don't smoke or do any drugs. I just don't see the appeal and don't understand people who do. I like having my mental faculties, thank you very much.

Well, personally, the main reason I drink is to take a break from the often terrifying and demanding nature of reality and just enjoy feeling relaxed and spaced out. I don't think to the point of being sick though, it's a fine balance you gotta hit.

I don't smoke or do any illegal drugs though; I have no desire to get lung cancer and I don't wanna go to jail.

To add to this thread...

I just like to enjoy the pleasures of life. Drugs, sex, and alcohol are pretty big ways to do that :D

A drink is an exclamation point.

Some weed makes mundane routine tasks FUN. A small splash of whisky, or a toke, makes my mind feel like video games while working the desk or working out. I actually like runs, but sometimes going the same route gets tiring, a bit of weed makes it feel like Christmas. It's not like weights where I can literally just pump iron and watch TV... although a bit of weed with the weights really shoots up the discipline.

Also, it's a REALLY good way to tolerate the insane nonsense of children's birthday parties.

Ever feel anxiety? Well, about 1/2 a shot of whisky will clear that anxiety away for me, a lot better than those anti-anxiety pills.

And speaking of Christmas, weed at Christmas makes me feel like this kid:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I used to get very drunk almoust every weekend. This was in my teens and early 20s. I had really bad hangovers for way too long. I din't like alcohol very much. A good glass of wine I can appreciate very much. But I'm totally over getting drunk. I am a very light drinker on social occasions. I'm often the guy who drives. But other than that, nothing.

So I like wine very much.
I hate beer. Was never able to get into it.
Baleys and such liquers are fine in moderation.
(White and Red)wine mixed with coke is something typical for Austria. Don't know if people drink that in other places aswell.

Studies from countries around the world confirm that drinkers live longer than non-drinkers :D

https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/drinkers-live-longer/

I think I rest somewhere between occasional and moderate, as moderate is about 2-4 drinks per day, when I probably have a splash of whisky to 1 beer. With maybe more on weekends. Since Corona became a major factor, it's around 1-2 times a month that I'll go above that.

On top of the alcohol, I smoke weed, which won't be a major health factor for me since it helps me work out for longer periods of time. Actually, drinking does too, I'm usually much more active when I've had even a bit of a drink. While alcohol is a "depressant" that just means that it relaxes the system, not makes you depressed, it's the opposite of a stimulant, like coffee. On the other hand, in moderate amounts, alcohol acts as a macronutrient that your body will metabolize and burn very quickly. That's why drinkers can dance up a storm for hours at the clubs without getting too tired.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

mZuzek said:

Yeah, some 5 or so glasses of water on an average day.

Wait, alcohol? No way, it tastes (and smells) horrible. Don't really know what drove people to start drinking it god knows how many centuries ago, but they weren't on their right minds. Then again, I do occasionally drink soda, which I suppose isn't much better, but at least with that there's the excuse that it's legal for kids to drink it. If I was drinking alcohol since before I can remember, I'd probably like it too.

Edit: I suppose I am quite finicky when it comes to liquids in general. I like water and soda, maybe some juice, that's about it. Chocolate, I guess. Dislike coffee, alcohol, despise tea... just about everything else, really.

A long time ago, before sanitation and water treatment, beer was much safer to drink than water.  The brewing process kills a lot of microbes that can potentially make people sick.  For travelers not used to the local water supply, that is actually still true to this day for some areas of the world.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

fav is wine. maybe twice a week for the antioxidants mostly.

Around the Network

About tree fiddy

Lube Me Up

Wine: on average 1/2 to 1 glass daily on meals, mostly red still wine.
Beer: it depends, I'd say 3 to 5 per week (craft mostly).
Gin or Cocktails: more or less once every 2 weeks
Other liquors: on occasions (rarely)

Last edited by freebs2 - on 15 October 2021

Runa216 said:

As a kid, I tried alcohol with my parent's blessing and thought I was the coolest little shit on the block.

As a teen I continued to drink from time to time because I could but quickly came to realize how little I liked it and I Realized I was just doing it to be cool. It never had an effect on me no matter how much I drank; I never got a buzz or comfortably numb or anything like that. It just tasted bad, was expensive, and made other people idiots I didn't want to be around.

As a young adult and legal drinking age, I got bored of it but people still thought I was fun to party with so I drank until I was blackout drunk (Took a full 40oz on my own), and haven't drank since then. I just don't see the appeal and only ever did when I was an insecure kid trying to fit in and be cool. Now I'm just my own person and I not only don't drink but don't smoke or do any drugs. I just don't see the appeal and don't understand people who do. I like having my mental faculties, thank you very much.

But you know, you can actually drink to enjoy the taste rather than to get drunk... Of course you really won't enjoy the usual things people drink in parties in their late teens/ early twenties, that is generally cheap stuff bought with the only purpose of getting drunk. That stuff is really unhealthy and generally tastes horribly.

freebs2 said:
Runa216 said:

But you know, you can actually drink to enjoy the taste rather than to get drunk... Of course you really won't enjoy the usual things people drink in parties in their late teens/ early twenties, that is generally cheap stuff bought with the only purpose of getting drunk. That stuff is really unhealthy and generally tastes horribly.

That's like the worst part about alcohol, it tastes like stale bleach. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
freebs2 said:

That's like the worst part about alcohol, it tastes like stale bleach. 

I very much enjoy the taste. In the evening I like a cup of coffee with a bit of dark chocolate mix and a shot of baileys. Tastes delicious. Then sit down with a game and it really enhances the experience. Add a weed cookie and by the time that starts kicking in (takes about an hour) it's like your playing VR it gets so real. Last night I was marveling at the costumes during the fights in Ghost of Tsushima.

A cold beer after a 3 hour cycle ride tastes amazing. Pares well with spicy food. Oddly, I don't like beer in winter at all, just on hot summer days after cycling for hours. Rum and Coke, especially the lime variant (of rum) tastes great. My wife loves the coconut rum with coke.

I don't like to get actually drunk or stoned to the degree you can't move anymore or end up with a hang over the next day, yet at the right measure it can enhance everything. From food to nature to sex. (Although that last one doesn't go so well when you get the giggles lol) Taking a walk through the forest while slightly high is an amazing experience. But it's very rarely I do that, since it's quite a walk to get to the forest haha. (Do not drink/smoke/vape/consume and drive ever)

But I do take some weed every night as it helps me sleep and get much better rested than without. I went without from 2002 (emigrated) until it was legalized here end of 2018. I'm so much better rested now which makes everything easier and more enjoyable. Gone are the days that I fall asleep while cycling and clip a pole or ride into a ditch!

Anyway it's fun to explore different states of mind. Although some of the things you might find out about yourself can be scary or you end up sharing a whole lot more than you wanted to. Make sure to be with friends!

I guess I'm quite the degenerate, coffee + alcohol + weed and I guess chocolate is a stimulant as well haha.