By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you drink, and if so how much?

I am a...

Non-drinker 49 30.82%

Occasional drinker 72 45.28%

Moderate drinker 28 17.61%

Heavy drinker 10 6.29%

Total:159

Every time I'm on this website, for some weird reason.

Runa216 said:
freebs2 said:

But you know, you can actually drink to enjoy the taste rather than to get drunk... Of course you really won't enjoy the usual things people drink in parties in their late teens/ early twenties, that is generally cheap stuff bought with the only purpose of getting drunk. That stuff is really unhealthy and generally tastes horribly.

That's like the worst part about alcohol, it tastes like stale bleach. 

Alcoholic drinks are a lot like food; they come in many different flavors, even within the same type of alcohol (eg beer, wines, cocktails, etc). Perhaps you haven't met the right kind yet? There's a reason we cook and bake with it too, after all!

Around the Network

Some alcoholic drinks like wine or beer I find the taste disgusting, but something like Strong Zero/Double Lemon, Baileys, Midori, Canadian Club, or honey liqueur can taste really nice in my opinion. With the right mixer and ratio a lot of spirits that taste harsh on their own can become really tasty as well.

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

I very much enjoy the taste. In the evening I like a cup of coffee with a bit of dark chocolate mix and a shot of baileys. Tastes delicious. Then sit down with a game and it really enhances the experience. Add a weed cookie and by the time that starts kicking in (takes about an hour) it's like your playing VR it gets so real. Last night I was marveling at the costumes during the fights in Ghost of Tsushima.

A cold beer after a 3 hour cycle ride tastes amazing. Pares well with spicy food. Oddly, I don't like beer in winter at all, just on hot summer days after cycling for hours. Rum and Coke, especially the lime variant (of rum) tastes great. My wife loves the coconut rum with coke.

I don't like to get actually drunk or stoned to the degree you can't move anymore or end up with a hang over the next day, yet at the right measure it can enhance everything. From food to nature to sex. (Although that last one doesn't go so well when you get the giggles lol) Taking a walk through the forest while slightly high is an amazing experience. But it's very rarely I do that, since it's quite a walk to get to the forest haha. (Do not drink/smoke/vape/consume and drive ever)

But I do take some weed every night as it helps me sleep and get much better rested than without. I went without from 2002 (emigrated) until it was legalized here end of 2018. I'm so much better rested now which makes everything easier and more enjoyable. Gone are the days that I fall asleep while cycling and clip a pole or ride into a ditch!

Anyway it's fun to explore different states of mind. Although some of the things you might find out about yourself can be scary or you end up sharing a whole lot more than you wanted to. Make sure to be with friends!

I guess I'm quite the degenerate, coffee + alcohol + weed and I guess chocolate is a stimulant as well haha.

Yeah, I too enjoy the different states of mind that can come from alcohol or caffeine; right now a strong coffee is making my time here on VGChartz and social media more stimulating, and I love cruising Youtube or playing video games when I'm tipsy.

I really wish my country/state would legalize weed, I'm too scared of getting caught to use it, but I'd really like to try.

No, drinking is a disgusting habit that sadly many people have

noname2200 said:

Every time I'm on this website, for some weird reason.

Runa216 said:

Alcoholic drinks are a lot like food; they come in many different flavors, even within the same type of alcohol (eg beer, wines, cocktails, etc). Perhaps you haven't met the right kind yet? There's a reason we cook and bake with it too, after all!

No, Alcohol tastes like alcohol. what the alcohol is IN has unique flavour profiles and tastes and so on and so forth. What the alcohol was fermented in effects the flavour. But alcohol itself is one flat flavour: Burning bleached asshole.

Everything that has Alcohol in it likely tasted fine before the alcohol was put in it. Wine? Ew. Grape Juice? Delicious! Cocktails? The ingredients taste fine, but as soon as you add alcohol it ruins the flavour by making everything taste like turpentine and Novocain. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

No, Alcohol tastes like alcohol. what the alcohol is IN has unique flavour profiles and tastes and so on and so forth. What the alcohol was fermented in effects the flavour. But alcohol itself is one flat flavour: Burning bleached asshole.

Everything that has Alcohol in it likely tasted fine before the alcohol was put in it. Wine? Ew. Grape Juice? Delicious! Cocktails? The ingredients taste fine, but as soon as you add alcohol it ruins the flavour by making everything taste like turpentine and Novocain. 

Alcohol free beer does not taste fine! But sure, when cooking with wine, sometimes the last stage is 'flambee' or burning off the alcohol.

Btw you don't put alcohol in stuff, it's a natural process. Leave your fruit sitting too long and it can ferment on its own. The alcohol gives it a 'kick' like adding spice to food. You don't straight up eat black pepper either, but it's a great seasoning! Of course if you can't stand the taste of black pepper, it will ruin every food you put it on.

Vodka is the closest to pure alcohol 'taste' I guess, and it does taste like what I imagine turpentine tastes like. Not a favorite.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

Alcohol free beer does not taste fine! But sure, when cooking with wine, sometimes the last stage is 'flambee' or burning off the alcohol.

Btw you don't put alcohol in stuff, it's a natural process. Leave your fruit sitting too long and it can ferment on its own. The alcohol gives it a 'kick' like adding spice to food. You don't straight up eat black pepper either, but it's a great seasoning! Of course if you can't stand the taste of black pepper, it will ruin every food you put it on.

Vodka is the closest to pure alcohol 'taste' I guess, and it does taste like what I imagine turpentine tastes like. Not a favorite.

Yes, I am well aware of the science behind it. I know that fermenting results in a distinct flavour and alcohol as a byproduct. I know you don't just take 100% pure alcohol and infuse it into things. However, the alcohol itself does have a distinct chemical compound and a flavour. 

Beer tastes terrible regardless. Like Barf and goat piss. I was referring mostly to 'girly' drinks like cocktails and mixes. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes, I am well aware of the science behind it. I know that fermenting results in a distinct flavour and alcohol as a byproduct. I know you don't just take 100% pure alcohol and infuse it into things. However, the alcohol itself does have a distinct chemical compound and a flavour. 

Beer tastes terrible regardless. Like Barf and goat piss. I was referring mostly to 'girly' drinks like cocktails and mixes. 

'girly' drinks? Does that term still exist in 2021!

To each their own, a nice Belgium blonde is delicious!

SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

it's just the term I know as a blanket statement for all the fruity or fragrant ones. It's not an insult or anything (Even when I did drink, it was the only type of alcohol I liked), it's just a sort of lingering term. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
SvennoJ said:

it's just the term I know as a blanket statement for all the fruity or fragrant ones. It's not an insult or anything (Even when I did drink, it was the only type of alcohol I liked), it's just a sort of lingering term. 

It's just something I haven't heard in 25 years :) It was used derogatory back then, but those were different times. Beer and straight up spirits were for men, wine and cocktails for girls. Stupid.

Yeah I much prefer mixed and sweeter/less harsh drinks that have traditionally been seen as more feminine. Can't stand wine though, just the smell of it makes me gag. Don't like beer or straight spirits either.