By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Japanese analyst: PS5 could sell 200-300m in 5 to 6 years

Exactly like for the COVID, we never keep a list of those prediction with the name of the predictor. Would be useful to frequently re-show all of them 2-3 years later.

Around the Network

I've just read that he predicts a total of 700 MILLION units sold LTD for PS5, and the logic behind that number is simply illogical

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

shikamaru317 said:

The eSports market has mainly moved to PC now, with the main exception being fighting games, and there certainly isn't enough of a fighting game market to move hundreds of millions of additional consoles. The chances of taking eSports gamers back from PC are slim imo.

Even if we assume that eSports move completely to PS5 (and that is a massive ask, as you said), how many additional unit sales would that make? 5 million? 10 million? Never the 80-180 million needed for this prediction. This guy not only assumes the eSports-scene moves completely to PS5 (and only talking about Xbox not PC), but also it has to grow massively.

EDIT: But at least we know which analyst recommended Atari to produce 4-5 million cartridges of E.T.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(video_game)

Last edited by Mnementh - on 18 October 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mummelmann said:
This guy needs a new job, ASAP. That's utterly and completely beyond ridiculous.

That doesn't mean he needs a new job, it means he's perfectly qualified for his job. Just take a look at Pachter...

AlbiNecroxz said:
I've just read that he predicts a total of 700 MILLION units sold LTD for PS5, and the logic behind that number is simply illogical

Sometimes these absurd articles simply means that some very powerful investors currently have open position on SONY's stock.

I like when they say that TESLA will multiply by 3 when I also have an open position on the stock.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

Xbox guy wasn't fired when his 1 Billion prediction wasn't achieved.

Not only did they not fire him, they promoted him   He was Senior VP of Microsoft Interactive Entertainment (which was basically just Xbox at the time) when he made that insane statement about selling between 400m and 1 billion Xbox One units and 15 million more Xbox 360 units. 2 years later, they promoted him to Corporate Vice President of the Windows and Devices group (which included Windows 10, Surface, Bing, MSN, Skype, and Xbox). He actually had a pretty good stint as CVP of Windows and Devices group though, in his final year as head of the group, the group pulled in nearly $40b in revenue and over $8b in profit. He is currently head of the Modern Life, Search, and Devices group, which is in charge of all of the same stuff as his earlier role, minus Xbox, which is now in it's own division under Phil Spencer.  

He most likely follow that american phylosophy of dream and talk big =] (but yes I wouldn't expect this from very conservative Japan).

And now out of the joke, as you said besides making a very wrong prediction (that well he isn't responsible to achieve alone) his actions on the department improved their bottomline so most likely the promotion was deserved.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well, I'm sure they sell like 10m consoles just because of FIFA and that people buy a PS5 for that instead of an Xbox but damn, this is just crazy to believe just E-Sport will sell them like 100-150m extra consoles.

Ah yes PS5 can definitely sell 200-300m First party software games in 6 years...

Oh wai-

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Wow so is this what PS5's 6 years will look like?

20 mil year 1
30 mil year 2
50 mil year 3
80 mil year 4
70 mil year 5
50 mil year 6

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261