Forums - Sony Discussion - First Look At The PS5's UI!

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting it wrong but it seems like you can jump in any mode/level from the UI. That is a major QoL improvement!

IE. Instead of going through the boot up of a game, and accessing multiplayer modes in the main menu, you can jump straight to matchmaking right from the UI.

Around the Network

Seems very good and with potential. But will I be able to completely block interruptions to my gameplay so those notifications don't show? Also they should have show how fast it is from cold start until you are playing the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

shikamaru317 said:

Not a big fan. UI seems quite visually crowded, hopefully you can disable those cards or whatever they're called. Game help sounds nice, but being PS+ only and limited to select games kind of ruins it's potential, would be so useful for trophy hunters if it was free to everyone and available in all games, needing to look up trophy guides online would be a thing of the past.

Devs need to make the hints so of course it will be limited, to what devs put on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Ehh. Looks complicated.

The video already has 4 million views- the interest in anything PS5 is off the charts!

Around the Network

Am I the only one who still does not give an f about any non gaming fetures on my gaming console? Dont get me wrong the cards are potentially awesome if done properly. Jumping in to specific parts of games with a know objective and even hints could be great. But aside from that I would have wished the console go back to the ps3 folder days. All my games here and if I dont care about anything else I dont even have to see anything else. Here it looks like it might be in your face all the time. Hopefully it can be turned off or adjusted.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Am I the only one who still does not give an f about any non gaming fetures on my gaming console? Dont get me wrong the cards are potentially awesome if done properly. Jumping in to specific parts of games with a know objective and even hints could be great. But aside from that I would have wished the console go back to the ps3 folder days. All my games here and if I dont care about anything else I dont even have to see anything else. Here it looks like it might be in your face all the time. Hopefully it can be turned off or adjusted.

Trust me, you are not the only one that doesn't care about non-gaming features. One of the reasons Xbox flopped so hard was because it was all TVTVTVSPORTSTVTVTV all the time. One of the reasons Sony got so much good will was that the console was very good about being games-forward. Yeah it had other features (and I do love stuff like Netflix and Amazon Prime), and I do use it as my media hub...but honestly none of those things sell a console for me. 

I am still struggling with whether or not I like the UI, though. A lot of the features they showed this morning were like 'that's cool, but it does seem complicated and I'm not sure if it'll streamline the experience or just complicate things'. Like the console design itself and my initial response to the controller, I've got a 'not sure if I like or not' side-eye on it. It'll grow on me, I'm sure, but right now it just seems like a lot of stuff I don't care too much about. 

That said, the PS4 has slowly shifted to be quite possibly the best gaming experience I've ever had, so I have faith they'll find a lovely middle ground or I'll be able to tweak the experience to my liking. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Zkuq said:

My first impression of this was really poor because the way to start a new game was nowhere to be found, so I feared it would be after all that stuff I don't care about and even if I did, it would still make it unnecessarily hard to get to starting a new game. Then the video showed that games are in a different view altogether, and now it all makes sense. I certainly like what I'm seeing, although I would still prefer a more minimalistic style (right now there's graphics everywhere, which doesn't look very classy - which incidentally clashes with the 'classy' look of the console itself).

Runa216 said:

You sure about that? I never had any issues with it. PS3? For sure. The PS3's store was trash, but the PS4's was speedy and zippy for me. Might have taken a couple seconds to boot, but after that, no problems. 

I hate the current Store. It's slow on PS4, and it's slow on PC (and it also doesn't even work very well if at all on PC, unless it's finally been fixed). It's probably even worse on PS3. How is it slow? Things take a fairly long time to load, opening the Store page of e.g. a game has way too many sections where's it slow to find what you're interested in, navigating back from e.g. DLC takes you can to the top of the slow game page, and searching letter by letter is annoying on consoles. (On PC, search is just fine.) The original PS3 Store was ugly but it was very fast and functional. The current one is pretty but possibly the most annoying online store experience I've used. I have high hopes for the new Store.

i have a fast internet connection, ps4, ps store opens up instantly. and loads everything quick. I have no issues with it. 

I like it a lot better than the ps4's UI. Sure hope PS Store is vastly improved from the laggy nonsense that was the PS Store on the PS4.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

One of the few things I took from the DF video was at 4:06, where he talks about Sony focusing on caching internet data, which really shows. It was an annoying issue on PS4 and hopefully it's solved with this iteration.

Even though I was wary of one or two details shown on the video, I really like the PS5 UI. It feels familiar even with the new features. Streamlined, elegant.