By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First Look At The PS5's UI!

the PS Store no longer being an app and being just a part of the UI is the best change imo, thank god because the PS Store on PS4 is ass and is so fucking slow

Around the Network

I can't say I'm impressed with the new UI at all as I generally hate UI's that prioritises having a pretty wallpaper over using the space for the stuff that is actually important. It looks like they took the main XMB of the PS4 and reduced it to 25% the size and moved out of the centre focus up to the top left which is basically the only relevant info on the home screen you need with the other 75% or how ever much it is been a wallpaper which is basically blank space.

Since they want to continue with the XMB style UI I'd of much rather of seen them just take the current PS4 UI and have it more reactive and faster than what we have seen so far.

hinch said:

Glad they're sticking with XMB, it works well. I like the new cards feature and the way you can jump back in to a particular part of a game if you're missing a trophy or want to replay a particular section of a game. The jumping into a friends game straight from the card looks really straight forward now. Bit Steam-like, no messing around with menus and the sharing to party is a bit reminds me of Discord sharing. Lots of modern features we take advantage on PC now on consoles. Can't complain about that. The tips and hints and PIP modes are pretty cool too.

And the speed in the UI browsing is indefinitely faster and smoother than PS4. Which is what I wanted to see.

Bold: I like that as well. Also, I hope to be able to just jump right into e.g. mp matchmaking instead of booting a game to main menu.

FloatingWaffles said:

the PS Store no longer being an app and being just a part of the UI is the best change imo, thank god because the PS Store on PS4 is ass and is so fucking slow

You sure about that? I never had any issues with it. PS3? For sure. The PS3's store was trash, but the PS4's was speedy and zippy for me. Might have taken a couple seconds to boot, but after that, no problems. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

No real showing of quick resume feature only said that it quick resumed to Scackboy and when he started Destruction Derby All Stars needed to load first. And didn't go back to Sackboy or switch between Destruction Derby All Stars. It's always controlled environments with these PS5 shows like the YT influencers in Japan having to use 1 PS5 in 1 room for all of them to test. Then, the teardown only a video of the hardware engineer and again a very controlled situation. And last the UI, again just a video where nobody can test it out.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:

I can't say I'm impressed with the new UI at all as I generally hate UI's that prioritises having a pretty wallpaper over using the space for the stuff that is actually important. It looks like they took the main XMB of the PS4 and reduced it to 25% the size and moved out of the centre focus up to the top left which is basically the only relevant info on the home screen you need with the other 75% or how ever much it is been a wallpaper which is basically blank space.

Since they want to continue with the XMB style UI I'd of much rather of seen them just take the current PS4 UI and have it more reactive and faster than what we have seen so far.

I might be in the minority here, but I'd have lists if I could. Just lists and folders. It's not pretty, but my OCPD would be satisfied with well-sorted and well-organized folders. PS3 and PS4 are pretty good for me, but Xbox One is an absolute nightmare, with unequal sizes of panels, weird distribution, etc. sure, it fills the screen, but internally I'm screaming the whole time. 

Having a strip of icons, each one of them opening up into a subcategory, is exactly what I want. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Neat. A lot of stuff but I won't use any of it. Funny now how Sony and Nintendo have such similar UIs.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Runa216 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

You sure about that? I never had any issues with it. PS3? For sure. The PS3's store was trash, but the PS4's was speedy and zippy for me. Might have taken a couple seconds to boot, but after that, no problems. 

It's certainly better than on PS3 but I agree with Waffle that on PS4 it's still too sluggish to load pages and pictures and it tends to crash/reboot whenever you've been browsing for too long.

Good the store blue screening was pissing me off

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Replicant said:
hinch said:

Glad they're sticking with XMB, it works well. I like the new cards feature and the way you can jump back in to a particular part of a game if you're missing a trophy or want to replay a particular section of a game. The jumping into a friends game straight from the card looks really straight forward now. Bit Steam-like, no messing around with menus and the sharing to party is a bit reminds me of Discord sharing. Lots of modern features we take advantage on PC now on consoles. Can't complain about that. The tips and hints and PIP modes are pretty cool too.

And the speed in the UI browsing is indefinitely faster and smoother than PS4. Which is what I wanted to see.

Bold: I like that as well. Also, I hope to be able to just jump right into e.g. mp matchmaking instead of booting a game to main menu.

I didn't think about that. Like if a game had cards to game modes that took you straight into that particular lobby, that would be sweet.