By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft will allow manufacturers other than Seagate to make Xbox expansion cards

You should not have to use a screwdriver to expand your storage in your console.
You should not have to use a screwdriver to put your console on the side either.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
You should not have to use a screwdriver to expand your storage in your console.
You should not have to use a screwdriver to put your console on the side either.

OT: That's good.. hopefully this will increase competition and lower prices.

Well not like MS could really forbid others from doing, but having more certified ones is a good thing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Good. That will bring the prices down to something that I might consider paying.

DonFerrari said:
Well not like MS could really forbid others from doing, but having more certified ones is a good thing.

Of course they could, many companies do this with replaceable parts. Software crypto key, special hardware chip, etc.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
DirtyP2002 said:

NVMe SSD's look like this.

There's probably no easy and safe way to connect it to your console unless it's a proprietary version, which will cost extra.
So there's no clear way that will make everyone happy.

Is there no way they can make an external SSD that's usable? I'm not really a tech person so forgive me with my lack of knowledge. 

smroadkill15 said:
Hiku said:

There's probably no easy and safe way to connect it to your console unless it's a proprietary version, which will cost extra.

Is there no way they can make an external SSD that's usable? I'm not really a tech person so forgive me with my lack of knowledge. 

You don't need to know obscure physics formulas, it's just a matter of the mass market from this class of SSD being a fragile format meant to plug into internal slot, not hang off outside or float around as removable item. It's not matter of external housing being impossible, but that not being what is lowest cost mass market item. So inevitably if you do that, you will have higher costs of boutique item. Whether there is one official supplier or 2. Using mass market NVME hardware means you will always get the best price, and benefit from sales that may not exist for boutique console accessory. MS' SSD specs are half as fast as Sony's, so perhaps for them it is reasonably viable, but Sony clearly wants to keep it's prices to a minimum because they know their spec is so expensive currently. EDIT: Anyways, the video clearly shows how easy it is to open the panels, with the protected area for NVME slot easy to access once panel is off. That part of console was designed explicitly for ability to add NVME drive. The bonus of mass market standard NVME is if you decide you want larger SSD later, you can re-use the previous SSD with a laptop or desktop PC you have that uses standard NVME slot. Last edited by mutantsushi - on 08 October 2020

Alright Where is Mad Catz from the early 2000s when I need them?

mutantsushi said:
smroadkill15 said:

You don't need to know obscure physics formulas, it's just a matter of the mass market from this class of SSD being a fragile format meant to plug into internal slot, not hang off outside or float around as removable item. It's not matter of external housing being impossible, but that not being what is lowest cost mass market item. So inevitably if you do that, you will have higher costs of boutique item. Whether there is one official supplier or 2. Using mass market NVME hardware means you will always get the best price, and benefit from sales that may not exist for boutique console accessory. MS' SSD specs are half as fast as Sony's, so perhaps for them it is reasonably viable, but Sony clearly wants to keep it's prices to a minimum because they know their spec is so expensive currently. EDIT: Anyways, the video clearly shows how easy it is to open the panels, with the protected area for NVME slot easy to access once panel is off. That part of console was designed explicitly for ability to add NVME drive. The bonus of mass market standard NVME is if you decide you want larger SSD later, you can re-use the previous SSD with a laptop or desktop PC you have that uses standard NVME slot.

no matter HOW you do it its not going to be cheap.

the easiest way I can think of this working is using thunderbolt 3, which some laptops can use for external graphics cards. unfortunetly, thunderbolt 3 is locked behind INTEL for the most part, and retooling the CPU to use thunderbolt 3 is going to add expenses.

and even then, thunderbolt 3 enclosures are expensive in and of itself.

Hiku said:
DirtyP2002 said:

This, because you also shouldn't have to spend more for proprietary tech. 

SNY could have made it so customers didn't have to slide off the top white outer case plate, along with removing one more screw and a grey metal plate, to get to the M.2 NVMe slot.

They could have made a caddy pop out of the bottom/side, more like the PS3 kind of, but they would have required an M.2 connector to some other connector, likely proprietary, to connect the M.2 NVMe SSD caddy to the motherboard.

You would still have to insert the stick, push down, and screw it in regardless. Then you would have pushed the caddy it was in, back in the slot you took it out of. The difference between that, and sliding off the top cover, is negligible, so that's probably why they decided to go the route they did. It also kills two birds with one stone, because they clearly want to allow easy access to the internals from both sides, for things like dust removal, and likely selling different outer case plate designs and colors.

It would look something kinda like this, that would slide out of and back into the console so it wouldn't stick out like XBSX does.