By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48
EricHiggin said:

Whether or not that ends up being an option on PS5 I dunno, but right now it doesn't exactly seem like it.

I don't think you need to worry, Cerny's Road to PS5 video linked on previous page explicitly discusses storing PS4 games on external HD and copying them to and from onboard SSD. An SSD that didn't meet the Sony spec should basically fall in the same category as HD there, and I don't see any technical impediment to copying PS5 games to such a non-spec drive, even if they can't be played while stored there. 

Around the Network

About what I expected. I'm just going to keep using my 5TB HDD and transfer games in and out. There will never be a time I'm playing 1TB worth of games at one time.

smroadkill15 said:
About what I expected. I'm just going to keep using my 5TB HDD and transfer games in and out. There will never be a time I'm playing 1TB worth of games at one time.

I'm the same. But I do want everything installed... Because if I am going to spend 8-12 hours or more fighting a fire, cutting someone out of a vehicle, scaling down a cliff... And I come home and intend to relax, the last thing I even remotely want to do is wait hours more installing and updating a video game or stuffing around with game transfers.

I would ideally need around 16-20 terabytes of storage to last me the entire generation I think.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
smroadkill15 said:

I'm the same. But I do want everything installed... Because if I am going to spend 8-12 hours or more fighting a fire, cutting someone out of a vehicle, scaling down a cliff... And I come home and intend to relax, the last thing I even remotely want to do is wait hours more installing and updating a video game or stuffing around with game transfers.

I would ideally need around 16-20 terabytes of storage to last me the entire generation I think.

Damn that is a shit ton of storage, but I get the, everything installed part. I filled up 95% of mine before I realized I needed to start deleting games. Now I manage my storage and delete stuff if I haven't played it in awhile. 

Btw, thank for what you do. Where do you fight fires at? 

smroadkill15 said:

That's what I'm going to do. I just bought a 2.5'' 5 TB HDD for that a few days ago and already transfered all my Xbox games on it.

When/If the prices for the proprietary Xbox-SSD drop later, I maybe add one to the internal 1 TB and external 5 TB.

Around the Network

It's to be expected, proprietary product always has a problem with price due to lack of option. Meanwhile non proprietary product will always has advantage for price due to many option and competition. Microsoft solution for Xbox storage is convenient with the sacrifice on cost and Sony solution is need a little bit worked but more cheaper. In the end gaming in general is expensives more so in the near future.

eva01beserk said:
Barkley said:

S/X both have SSD's. PS5 SSD is almost twice the speed but the difference shouldn't be too pronounced. The Xbox storage is roughly 40 times faster than the previous generation consoles, so a difference of two times between Xbox/PS5 is going to seem minor by comparison.

Old HDD Consoles = ~120mb/s
Xbox Series S/X = 2400mb/s (raw), 4800mb/s (compressed)
PS5 = 4500mb/s (raw), 7500mb/s (compressed)

You should probably watch the road to ps5 conference. Theres so much you got wrong. 

And by so much you mean 5500mb/s raw and 9000mb/s compressed for ps5.

Thanks for correcting me with these numbers you definitley provided, you were very helpful. lmao.

Barkley said:
eva01beserk said:

You should probably watch the road to ps5 conference. Theres so much you got wrong. 

Thanks for correcting me with these numbers you definitley provided, you were very helpful. lmao.

Na you missed much more. Its why I said wach the presentation cuz I wont be able to explain as well but Ill give it a shot.

Cerny said there where more hardware implementations than just raw ssd speed. Like the 4 extra PCIE4.0 lanes straight from the apu to the SSD, allowing it to skip the ram, the xbox has no such things. having 12 chanel memory vs the xbox 8 or 4(we still dont know, its most likely 8). The soc dedicted to handle data wich the ps5 has an equivalent of 9 ryzen cores while the xbox has a 4 cores equivalent. Cerny mentioned that there are other bottlenecks that limit data transfer speed so hdd's and sdd's dont run at their full speed all the time and the ps5 has hardware and software for that. The xbox only has sotware.

Again, Im not the best to tell you what this all translates to, but its much more than the 5.5 vs 2.4 raw speed. And I think we saw  a bit of this on the start up comparisons they have both made, the xbox had games start in like 4x the speed of the previous gen wich was like 12s vs 54s, while the ps5 was instant almost. under 2 sec wich was just the button presses and the fade to black between inmages. it was insane. But again, thouse where diferent games we might need to wait untill the same games are compared to really see.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Barkley said:

Na you missed much more. Its why I said wach the presentation cuz I wont be able to explain as well but Ill give it a shot.

Cerny said there where more hardware implementations than just raw ssd speed. Like the 4 extra PCIE4.0 lanes straight from the apu to the SSD, allowing it to skip the ram, the xbox has no such things. having 12 chanel memory vs the xbox 8 or 4(we still dont know, its most likely 8). The soc dedicted to handle data wich the ps5 has an equivalent of 9 ryzen cores while the xbox has a 4 cores equivalent. Cerny mentioned that there are other bottlenecks that limit data transfer speed so hdd's and sdd's dont run at their full speed all the time and the ps5 has hardware and software for that. The xbox only has sotware.

Again, Im not the best to tell you what this all translates to, but its much more than the 5.5 vs 2.4 raw speed. And I think we saw  a bit of this on the start up comparisons they have both made, the xbox had games start in like 4x the speed of the previous gen wich was like 12s vs 54s, while the ps5 was instant almost. under 2 sec wich was just the button presses and the fade to black between inmages. it was insane. But again, thouse where diferent games we might need to wait untill the same games are compared to really see.

Most of the things you are mentioning here directly tie into what gives us the raw/compressed figures. 12 channel... so the raw data speed of PS5 is much higher than XSX.... 9 ryzen vs 4 equivalent, which is why the compressed figures on PS5 are so much higher...

This is just breaking down why the PS5 figures are higher, it's not something separate.

Pemalite said:
smroadkill15 said:

Getting a 1TB drive to expand your XSX in the UK is £29 cheaper than just buying an XSS. I'd rather have the 2 consoles aha. 

Definitely much better grabbing yourself an external drive, I doubt Microsoft is going to make this option cheaper any time soon even though SSD's get cheaper all the time.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'