By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48

The US pricing isn't bad.

But just saw the UK pricing is £220 which is insane.
I can't find a single gen 4 1TB SSD that costs more than £200 let alone £220....

I've been looking a Sabrent Rocket 4 which is £170 and is significantly faster than the XSX SSD...

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
The question of required specs for PS5 to use off the shelf SSDs does remind me of Sony's custom I/O controller (e.g. the 6 levels of prioritization Cerny mentions),
Seems like that could be attractive as open spec, let's call it "Play I/O", that SSD makers could utilize and market as performance standard games might target.
Beyond a certain point massively higher speeds don't seem that imporant to consumers, and higher tier I/O system seems more efficient way to deliver performance.
In other words SSD makers could still differentiate themselves as "more premium" using "smarter" I/O control rather than more expensive underlying flash chips etc.
They could still offer higher speeds than PS5, with faster underlying chips and same I/O controller architecture, consolidating on standard for latter still being useful.
Sony would benefit by having it standardized because every performance dependent game would be optimized for PS5's architecture, ensuring it's well supported.

Anyways, in absense of that, yeah it looks like you'll just need an off the shelf PCIe5 NVME SSD with speeds slightly above Sony's to compensate simpler controller.

PCI 4.0 SSD's that will exceed PS5 speed enough to brute force compatibility will be out later this year. You won't have to wait for 5.0 which wouldn't be compatible anyway. 

That's really expensive in comparison to the console prices, especially XBSS and it's 500GB SSD. I can see why SNY didn't go that route.

---

yvanjean said:
ironmanDX said:

That's actually a really good idea...

The good news is that PS5 consoles should work the same way.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

A 2TB SSD with better raw speed than the XSX SSD is $235 on Amazon... 3500mb/s read, 3000mb/s write. XSX SSD is 2400mb/s

This is why I like sony solution better, just allowing normal SSDs, and useing normal ports.
Market competion will drive prices of these SSDs down over time, and it ll be cheap(er) to add in more storage to your console.

Sony tried the expensive storage solutions with the Vita, and after that, they were done with perpriatary solutions of such.

Conina said:
JRPGfan said:

This is why I like sony solution better, just allowing normal SSDs, and useing normal ports.
Market competion will drive prices of these SSDs down over time, and it ll be cheap(er) to add in more storage to your console.

Sony tried the expensive storage solutions with the Vita, and after that, they were done with perpriatary solutions of such.

Which "normal SSDs" can be added to the PS5 where games can run from?

We still need a compatibility list!

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5

Pushsquare's guess is that only the 980 Pro will meet the needed specs:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/this_could_be_the_first_ps5_compatible_ssd

Barkley said:
Conina said:

Which "normal SSDs" can be added to the PS5 where games can run from?

We still need a compatibility list!

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5

Pushsquare's guess is that only the 980 Pro will meet the needed specs:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/this_could_be_the_first_ps5_compatible_ssd

I think pushsquare are looking at the 7.5GB/s figure for PS5 SSD... which is why they think 980 Pro is needed, forgetting that the 7.5GB/s is compressed speed. PS5's ssd actual speed is 4.5GB/s (presumably read, or maybe both read/write) which several SSD's on the market can match.

We definitley need that compatibility list, however I imagine this is more of a "this will definitley work" list, and that SSD's not on the list will also work assuming they can provide good enough performance.

I don't see why SNY wouldn't, if they could, allow for any NVMe to work in that slot. Now while the system may tell you that specific NVMe drive won't play games directly because it's not up to snuff, someone like me would like to use it as back up storage that can be transferred to the on board SSD.

The transfer speed from a slow internal NVMe to on board NVMe should be remarkably faster than external USB 3.0 (HDD) to on board NVMe. It would also allow for a much cleaner look not having a separate external drive.

Is it likely the PS5 will have to use a certain speed NVMe, period? I know that's what I got out of the Cerny presentation, but other than requiring that speed for direct play, is there an obvious particular reason why just any drive couldn't be used for back up purposes in that slot?

ArchangelMadzz said:
mutantsushi said:
in absense of that, yeah it looks like you'll just need an off the shelf PCIe5 NVME SSD with speeds slightly above Sony's

PCI 4.0 SSD's that will exceed PS5 speed enough to brute force compatibility will be out later this year. You won't have to wait for 5.0 which wouldn't be compatible anyway. 

Whoops, that is what I meant, but thanks for the correction. Still an expensive spec for now, although being 'open' the price should come down.

EricHiggin said:

The transfer speed from a slow internal NVMe to on board NVMe should be remarkably faster than external USB 3.0 (HDD) to on board NVMe. It would also allow for a much cleaner look not having a separate external drive.

Certainly if you have such an SSD lying around already, that's a reasonable solution if you are OK with copying games back and forth
when you want to play game you haven't touched recently, with notably faster copy speeds than just a HDD, even if not full PS5 spec.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Whoops, that is what I meant, but thanks for the correction. Still an expensive spec for now, although being 'open' the price should come down.

Yeah I just saw the UK prices and it is way over market. Shame they didn't open it up like Sony did allowing for extra deals to take advantage of.

expensive but I'm betting on great black friday deals starting from 2021, maybe as high as 50% if we're lucky enough with the overall PCIe4 storage falling cost,
I'll even wage there'll be some deals this year maybe 15%-25%.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 24 September 2020

ArchangelMadzz said:
mutantsushi said:
The question of required specs for PS5 to use off the shelf SSDs does remind me of Sony's custom I/O controller (e.g. the 6 levels of prioritization Cerny mentions),
Seems like that could be attractive as open spec, let's call it "Play I/O", that SSD makers could utilize and market as performance standard games might target.
Beyond a certain point massively higher speeds don't seem that imporant to consumers, and higher tier I/O system seems more efficient way to deliver performance.
In other words SSD makers could still differentiate themselves as "more premium" using "smarter" I/O control rather than more expensive underlying flash chips etc.
They could still offer higher speeds than PS5, with faster underlying chips and same I/O controller architecture, consolidating on standard for latter still being useful.
Sony would benefit by having it standardized because every performance dependent game would be optimized for PS5's architecture, ensuring it's well supported.

Anyways, in absense of that, yeah it looks like you'll just need an off the shelf PCIe5 NVME SSD with speeds slightly above Sony's to compensate simpler controller.

PCI-E 5.0 drives will be compatible with PCI-E 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 systems like the Playstation 5.

PCI-E is robust that way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

mutantsushi said:
EricHiggin said:

Certainly if you have such an SSD lying around already, that's a reasonable solution if you are OK with copying games back and forth
when you want to play game you haven't touched recently, with notably faster copy speeds than just a HDD, even if not full PS5 spec.

Like when I bought the SSD's for our new PC's I built in the new year, the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe drives I got were $80 each on sale. The 1TB version was around $130. Something like that would be great to use as a back up and should have extremely fast transfer speeds for a reasonable price. Now $130 get's you a lot more storage in an external HDD, but if you'd be willing to sacrifice some space for aesthetics, it would be a nice option. Whether or not that ends up being an option on PS5 I dunno, but right now it doesn't exactly seem like it.

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

PCI-E 5.0 drives will be compatible with PCI-E 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 systems like the Playstation 5.

PCI-E is robust that way.

I mean yeah. I'm just saying a PCIe 5 drive will run at PCIe 4 speeds in a PCIe 4 slot of course. 

But gotta love compatibility