By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48
Bofferbrauer2 said:
yvanjean said:

Well a 2tb SSD is $350, so that's wasn't feasible. Sounds to me someone needs to clean up their drive or you need to buy HHD server to store some of your games.

Try 230€ instead: https://www.alternate.de/ADATA/XPG-SX8200-Pro-2-TB-SSD/html/product/1558445?

Keep in mind that that SSD is faster than the one in the XSX...

I'm Canadian but I always write using the USD $ to make it more understandable ... tired of going to price converter with your €, If you going to respond shouldn't you used the same currency rate? (2TB SSD at 230€=268.33$USD)

Microsoft and Sony were never going to go with a 2TB SSD, the biggest buying factor at retail is always price so adding an extra $100 would of really hurt their console sales. 

1TB Expandable SSD at $220 on Xbox series X just doesn't make sense when considering an XSS is only $299. I'm saying you should either clean up your drive or get HHD expansion until the price drop on the Expandable storage. I have been moving games on my Xbox One X between external and internal it's pain-free and doesn't take that much time. So, really nothing compared to the option of adding a 2TB HHD at 60$USD. 

$220 is 44% of the cost of Xbox Series X. I guess we all heard the price was going to be $220 so not really a surprise, but still, I think Microsoft really drop the ball on this one. 

Last edited by yvanjean - on 24 September 2020

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
vivster said:
It's actually a really good price. The problem is people devaluing space. Not a single person who buys and Xbox actually needs that much storage, let alone SSD storage. I have yet to see a person who constantly switches between 20 big games. Large SSD storage is still very much premium, otherwise I would've switched to SSD for my long time storage a long time ago. My next high end gaming PC won't have more than 1TB for storage.

*Raises Hand*

I even had an external 2TB HDD connected to my Wii U because I easily get bored with a game and need to switch out out for another one. I'm juggling 2 128GB SD Cards on my Switch. I have an external 4 TB HDD to my Laptop for my games. Keep in mind I'm mostly playing indie Games which don't use that much space. I just need to switch games often, and to do so, I need enough space for all of them to fit.

So, while I won't buy an Xbox anytime soon (what's the point if you have a gaming PC?), having more space is always useful.

Also, I expect that games grow quite a bit over next gen. Bigger resolutions and bigger screens will also need bigger, more detailed textures, which certainly will bump up the space a notch or two. Add to that the Raytracing, and a 500GB SSD like in the Series S might fill up very quickly in a couple years

So what you are saying is you don't actually need that much space. Dowloading games is fast enough to start the download before you want to play it.

500GB will be plenty for anyone. Any more is luxury, not necessity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don’t see the problem. I just delete games I beat and install ones I will ply next. I might even use Xcloud to play certain games so they don’t take up hard drive space.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Barkley said:
yvanjean said:

Well a 2tb SSD is $350, so that's wasn't feasible. Sounds to me someone needs to clean up their drive or you need to buy HHD server to store some of your games.

A 2TB SSD with better raw speed than the XSX SSD is $235 on Amazon... 3500mb/s read, 3000mb/s write. XSX SSD is 2400mb/s

Thats absurd. I expect some backlash soon. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I will be buying 1 for each game I purchase, and I will make custom game cases for each of them to treat them as game cartridges. I can't decide if I'm going with gold or platinum for my custom casing.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
I will be buying 1 for each game I purchase, and I will make custom game cases for each of them to treat them as game cartridges. I can't decide if I'm going with gold or platinum for my custom casing.

Baller! I say go with Platinum.

Last edited by yvanjean - on 24 September 2020

vivster said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

*Raises Hand*

I even had an external 2TB HDD connected to my Wii U because I easily get bored with a game and need to switch out out for another one. I'm juggling 2 128GB SD Cards on my Switch. I have an external 4 TB HDD to my Laptop for my games. Keep in mind I'm mostly playing indie Games which don't use that much space. I just need to switch games often, and to do so, I need enough space for all of them to fit.

So, while I won't buy an Xbox anytime soon (what's the point if you have a gaming PC?), having more space is always useful.

Also, I expect that games grow quite a bit over next gen. Bigger resolutions and bigger screens will also need bigger, more detailed textures, which certainly will bump up the space a notch or two. Add to that the Raytracing, and a 500GB SSD like in the Series S might fill up very quickly in a couple years

So what you are saying is you don't actually need that much space. Dowloading games is fast enough to start the download before you want to play it.

500GB will be plenty for anyone. Any more is luxury, not necessity.

Might be a luxury to you and others in developed countries. But where Im from it will take me a full day to dwnload a game or hours patches. I live in the US now but I still think of that inconvinience. You just cant inmagine how much a little inconvinience or small added confort can be a deal braker for a lot of people. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

A 2TB SSD with better raw speed than the XSX SSD is $235 on Amazon... 3500mb/s read, 3000mb/s write. XSX SSD is 2400mb/s

This is why I like sony solution better, just allowing normal SSDs, and useing normal ports.
Market competion will drive prices of these SSDs down over time, and it ll be cheap(er) to add in more storage to your console.

Sony tried the expensive storage solutions with the Vita, and after that, they were done with perpriatary solutions of such.

Which "normal SSDs" can be added to the PS5 where games can run from?

We still need a compatibility list!

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5

Pushsquare's guess is that only the 980 Pro will meet the needed specs:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/this_could_be_the_first_ps5_compatible_ssd

Conina said:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/this_could_be_the_first_ps5_compatible_ssd

I think pushsquare are looking at the 7.5GB/s figure for PS5 SSD... which is why they think 980 Pro is needed, forgetting that the 7.5GB/s is compressed speed. PS5's ssd actual speed is 4.5GB/s (presumably read, or maybe both read/write) which several SSD's on the market can match.

We definitley need that compatibility list, however I imagine this is more of a "this will definitley work" list, and that SSD's not on the list will also work assuming they can provide good enough performance.

yvanjean said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Try 230€ instead: https://www.alternate.de/ADATA/XPG-SX8200-Pro-2-TB-SSD/html/product/1558445?

Keep in mind that that SSD is faster than the one in the XSX...

I'm Canadian but I always write using the USD $ to make it more understandable ... tired of going to price converter with your €, If you going to respond shouldn't you used the same currency rate? (2TB SSD at 230€=268.33$USD)

Microsoft and Sony were never going to go with a 2TB SSD, the biggest buying factor at retail is always price so adding an extra $100 would of really hurt their console sales. 

1TB Expandable SSD at $220 on Xbox series X just doesn't make sense when considering an XSS is only $299. I'm saying you should either clean up your drive or get HHD expansion until the price drop on the Expandable storage. I have been moving games on my Xbox One X between external and internal it's pain-free and doesn't take that much time. So, really nothing compared to the option of adding a 2TB HHD at 60$USD. 

$220 is 44% of the cost of Xbox Series X. I guess we all heard the price was going to be $220 so not really a surprise, but still, I think Microsoft really drop the ball on this one. 

As a rule of thumb, price in Euro is roughly the price in US$, just with the difference that the Euro price has it's VAT already included.

And I agree, SSDs weren't cheap enough yet to go 2 TB at the launch of this gen without being a substantial part of the unit price, and that's also the reason why the Series S has even just 500 GB. But that doesn't mean that storage extensions should be way more expensive than with off-the-shelf SSDs.

Barkley said:
Conina said:

I think pushsquare are looking at the 7.5GB/s figure for PS5 SSD... which is why they think 980 Pro is needed, forgetting that the 7.5GB/s is compressed speed. PS5's ssd actual speed is 4.5GB/s (presumably read, or maybe both read/write) which several SSD's on the market can match.

We definitley need that compatibility list, however I imagine this is more of a "this will definitley work" list, and that SSD's not on the list will also work assuming they can provide good enough performance.

With one exception, all of the PCIe 4.0 SSDs seem to have both read/write over 4 GB/s (the one who doesn't is the 500 GB version of the Corsair Force MP, which only reaches 2.5 GB/s in writing, but still 4.9 GB/s reading), so they all should do the trick. At the same time, PCie 3 SSDs reach 3.8 GB/s read maximum (writing generally below 3 GBs), so they're all too slow.

In other words, I'm pretty confident that all PCIe 4 SSDs will do the trick, but everything that doesn't reach PCIe 4 (or newer later on) won't be enough. 

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 24 September 2020