By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X/S expandable storage is expensive....

Will you be buying this storage?

Yes 10 20.83%

No 38 79.17%

Total:48
trunkswd said:
I was thinking of buying one, but that is a bit much for me. I'm still running a launch Xbox One with its 500GB and while I do need to delete games, my internet is fast enough to download games with no problem. Indie games take up very little space, it is only the big AAA games where it is an issue. Luckily I don't play CoD.

I play CoD but only the campaign. Once on recruit, once on veteran. Then getting all the misc achievements and after 12-ish hours I can delete the game again.

Around the Network
vivster said:
It's actually a really good price. The problem is people devaluing space. Not a single person who buys and Xbox actually needs that much storage, let alone SSD storage. I have yet to see a person who constantly switches between 20 big games. Large SSD storage is still very much premium, otherwise I would've switched to SSD for my long time storage a long time ago. My next high end gaming PC won't have more than 1TB for storage.

*Raises Hand*

I even had an external 2TB HDD connected to my Wii U because I easily get bored with a game and need to switch out out for another one. I'm juggling 2 128GB SD Cards on my Switch. I have an external 4 TB HDD to my Laptop for my games. Keep in mind I'm mostly playing indie Games which don't use that much space. I just need to switch games often, and to do so, I need enough space for all of them to fit.

So, while I won't buy an Xbox anytime soon (what's the point if you have a gaming PC?), having more space is always useful.

Also, I expect that games grow quite a bit over next gen. Bigger resolutions and bigger screens will also need bigger, more detailed textures, which certainly will bump up the space a notch or two. Add to that the Raytracing, and a 500GB SSD like in the Series S might fill up very quickly in a couple years

yvanjean said:
d21lewis said:

Somebody will make an adapter.

I currently have 8tb on my Xbox One X in addition to the 1tb that came with the system. One TB on XSX is unacceptable.

Well a 2tb SSD is $350, so that's wasn't feasible. Sounds to me someone needs to clean up their drive or you need to buy HHD server to store some of your games.

Try 230€ instead: https://www.alternate.de/ADATA/XPG-SX8200-Pro-2-TB-SSD/html/product/1558445?

Keep in mind that that SSD is faster than the one in the XSX...

Vita memory cards look cheap now. I miss $15 memory cards now.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 September 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Any word if the Xbox-SSD is TLC or QLC?

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
d21lewis said:

Somebody will make an adapter.

I currently have 8tb on my Xbox One X in addition to the 1tb that came with the system. One TB on XSX is unacceptable.

Well a 2tb SSD is $350, so that's wasn't feasible. Sounds to me someone needs to clean up their drive or you need to buy HHD server to store some of your games.

A 2TB SSD with better raw speed than the XSX SSD is $235 on Amazon... 3500mb/s read, 3000mb/s write. XSX SSD is 2400mb/s

Hopefully over time they will drop in price.
Xbox solution being a perpriatary solution it probably wont drop much however.

Hopefully its not this bad on playstation side (or drops faster in price).
Because 1TB of storage for games isnt much.

Barkley said:
yvanjean said:

A 2TB SSD with better raw speed than the XSX SSD is $235 on Amazon... 3500mb/s read, 3000mb/s write. XSX SSD is 2400mb/s

This is why I like sony solution better, just allowing normal SSDs, and useing normal ports.
Market competion will drive prices of these SSDs down over time, and it ll be cheap(er) to add in more storage to your console.

Sony tried the expensive storage solutions with the Vita, and after that, they were done with perpriatary solutions of such.

I'm now even more convinced to wait for the inevitable slim version with a larger storage to buy a next gen console.

I assume the tiny size is also driving up costs. No idea why they had to go for such a small ssd.